R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Plug N Play options.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
JHolland
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug N Play options.

Newbie Alert! If this is already discussed, please point me in the right direction!

I just bought a low mileage '09 MCS just las t week and I am in with love it. I just upgraded from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and never again will I own another Jeep!

Now I am no longer banished to the right lane on the freeways!

I was born bitten by the "mod bug" and so of course I am already looking to get some more power. I have been looking at the JB PLus but I am getting mixed ideas on it, is it availaible for my engine or not?

If not, any other ways to obtain some more power in the plug n play area without paying too much?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2015, 07:34 PM
chav
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I am looking for a good plug and play as well but my friend has told me to save up all my money so i can get all the mods i want for performance then just get a tune.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Sorry but the JB module doesn't work on an 09 MINI.

But if you want a tune you are not far from Atlanta. You can bring your car to us and we will do it, or ship your ECU over. That would be better than the JB module anyway as we can directly change the boost, timing, fuel, and torque maps.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
A tune makes a big difference. The factory air inlet system and exhaust system are pretty decent, there is not 30 hp waiting for bolt on parts on a MINI in that portion of the system.

The advice that you have gotten (do other mods first, then get a tune) is sound, but if you don't have much $$$ for new parts, a tune is still quite effective on a stock vehicle.

I would consider what Way has proposed, he is well respected in this forum.

I have an Accessport, which is old technology, a 'canned' tune. Having a custom tune would optimize performance and durability.

Before doing the tune, you should replace spark plugs and get the carbon removed from the intake ports. Walnut blasting is the common method. Read up on this issue, it is a common problem, and removing this buildup makes a difference in performance (torque and mileage).

Also make sure that there are no leaks on your car. Thermostat, water pump, turbo oil line, and oil filter housing leaks are common. Not trying to rain on your parade, but just trying to help educate a bit.

have fun,
Mike

Old 04-03-2015, 08:30 AM
JHolland
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Before doing the tune, you should replace spark plugs and get the carbon removed from the intake ports. Walnut blasting is the common method. Read up on this issue, it is a common problem, and removing this buildup makes a difference in performance (torque and mileage).

Also make sure that there are no leaks on your car. Thermostat, water pump, turbo oil line, and oil filter housing leaks are common. Not trying to rain on your parade, but just trying to help educate a bit.

have fun,
Mike
Actualy I am glad you metioned the carbon build up, I actually had that checked out yesterday by a shop here in Charlotte before I read your post. The said everything was clear but I should run something like Gumout through it every 3000 miles plus only good fuel, which is all I use.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated! I am lookng at intercoolers, intake and exhaust, then a tune.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:35 AM
JHolland
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Sorry but the JB module doesn't work on an 09 MINI.

But if you want a tune you are not far from Atlanta. You can bring your car to us and we will do it, or ship your ECU over. That would be better than the JB module anyway as we can directly change the boost, timing, fuel, and torque maps.

I'm going to get an intercooler, intake and exhaust then I'll be heading your way sometime this summer! I curious on how long it would take? It is hard for me to go anytime with my mini out of commison. If I overnight my ECU to you guys how long would you need it till you could ship it back?

My other option would be just to drive down, grab a burger at Varsity, let you guys do your thing and drive back to Charlotte. How long would you need the MCS at the shop?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 AM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JHolland
Actualy I am glad you metioned the carbon build up, I actually had that checked out yesterday by a shop here in Charlotte before I read your post. The said everything was clear but I should run something like Gumout through it every 3000 miles plus only good fuel, which is all I use.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated! I am lookng at intercoolers, intake and exhaust, then a tune.
May want to read a bit more about the carbon build-up. Fuel additives do nothing for the build-up problem. No fuel is in the intake portion of the head since it is direct injection... Which is why the carbon can build up.

Not sure how a shop could have told you 'everything is clear'. Wonder what they looked at.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:49 AM
JHolland
1st Gear
Originally Posted by shreksbrother
May want to read a bit more about the carbon build-up. Fuel additives do nothing for the build-up problem. No fuel is in the intake portion of the head since it is direct injection... Which is why the carbon can build up.

Not sure how a shop could have told you 'everything is clear'. Wonder what they looked at.
Good call man, I'll cal the actual Mini dealership and go from there.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by JHolland
I'm going to get an intercooler, intake and exhaust then I'll be heading your way sometime this summer! I curious on how long it would take? It is hard for me to go anytime with my mini out of commison. If I overnight my ECU to you guys how long would you need it till you could ship it back?

My other option would be just to drive down, grab a burger at Varsity, let you guys do your thing and drive back to Charlotte. How long would you need the MCS at the shop?
We try to do a 24hr turn around anytime someone sends us an ECU.

But it's faster if you bring it to the shop as we can do it in 4hrs or less usually.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more