R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Rattle in The Rear...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rattle in The Rear...

...of the CAR, wiseguys.

Anyway, it started not long after I had NM springs installed, and I can't for the life of me find it. It only happens on very small bumps or ripples in the road - no rattle over large bumps or on smooth roads?

- I wrapped the hatch latch in electrical tape and adjusted the snubbers - nothing
- It is not the exhaust
- The sway bar endlinks are tight and make no noise even when shaken or moved (any other way to see if they are bad?)
- None of the bushings look bad or make noise when moved.

Before I go crazy and replace the links and all of the bushings, is there anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Eric

Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 AM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gipper
...of the CAR, wiseguys.

Anyway, it started not long after I had NM springs installed, and I can't for the life of me find it. It only happens on very small bumps or ripples in the road - no rattle over large bumps or on smooth roads?

- I wrapped the hatch latch in electrical tape and adjusted the snubbers - nothing
- It is not the exhaust
- The sway bar endlinks are tight and make no noise even when shaken or moved (any other way to see if they are bad?)
- None of the bushings look bad or make noise when moved.

Before I go crazy and replace the links and all of the bushings, is there anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Eric
I'm at the same point, as well. Small bumps at low speeds are my enemy! And make my Mini sound like rickety wagon! I went ahead and replaced my end links just in case, no joy. Wrapped the hatch latch and even pulled EVERYTHING out of my car behind the rear seat.

Not sure what else to do. I hate the thought of throwing money at the problem, but I think my next step will be replacing every bushing, the shocks, the works.

Hope you figure it out!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:18 AM
aal2011
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle

Had the same type of rattle you describe about a year ago in my 2011 MCS. Thought it must be the rod ends or something exotic. Still under warranty, I took it in for a scheduled service and mentioned the squawk to the SA. When I picked it up, he told me that the hatch latching mechanism was lose. He said they had to take apart the trim around the base of the hatch to access the latch. All quiet since then.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM
two250
4th Gear
When I greased my latch that fixed the issue for me. It's starting to do it again so I need to get back in there...

Old 03-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
AAL2011 - that was a great input, but I just checked and the whole thing is solid and as tight as it can be. When the hatch is shut I can't get it to make any noise by pushing on it or dropping the floor jack quickly (my version of a bump).

Eric

Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you did everything else, why don't we go to the beginning and see what could have gone wrong with springs installation:
1). Re-check re-tighten all suspension bolts (upper strut mounts, strut to strut mount, long bolt to the trialing arm, etc).
2). Did you re-use rubber spring seats top and bottom?
3). Are the NM springs exactly the same diameter as OEM springs (top and bottom) so that the rubber seats can prevent metal-2-metal contact?
4). Are there any signs of anything rubbing/binding (check sway bar, trailing arms, etc)?

a

Old 03-20-2015, 12:14 PM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAL2011 - that was a great input, but I just checked and the whole thing is solid and as tight as it can be. When the hatch is shut I can't get it to make any noise by pushing on it or dropping the floor jack quickly (my version of a bump).

Eric
Same situation here. I have thought about driving down my side street (which always rattles on me) with the hatch up. If I had someone nearby that could drive a stick, I would hop back there and listen closely. What a nuisance!

Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Gipper
2nd Gear
afadeev,

All good suggestions.
1) was done
2) yes
3) interesting. I don't know for sure. I will crawl under there and check.
4) no

My next move will be to lay in the back will my wife drives so I can pinpoint at least the area to focus on.

Eric

Old 03-20-2015, 04:24 PM
nicsmini
1st Gear
check the rear sway bar bushings not the end links, supposed to be a problem

Old 03-21-2015, 07:43 AM
greenramp
Neutral
Funny thing, I had the same issue and it turned out to be the little rubber on the bottom of the rear window had pulled loose on one side and made lots of noise. I even had people drive my vehicle while I sat in back and swore it was a linkage sound in the rear of the vehicle.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I have been having clunking noises from the rear of my MCS, found out I left my 2-ton floor jack in the rear. Imagine my surprise!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
Update: I had my wife drive while I laid in the back (not easy, I'm 6' 8" and about 350 lbs) anyway - it seemed to be coming from the passenger side strut top?

All bolts are tight, there's no evidence of rubbing.
I ran with the sway bar end links disconnected one at a time - no change.
The new H-Sport sway bar looked close to the underside of the car, so I spaced the subframe out - no change.

I'm going to keep at it, but I haven't solved it yet.

Eric

Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
I went one further yesterday. I removed the rear seats and went for a test drive in the back. The noise was definitely right at the frame member where the rear seat backs rest. The only thing in the area is the fuel tanks and the sway bar, so I will be checking those out next.

Eric

Old 03-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Gipper
2nd Gear
SUCCESS!

It was the H-sport 25.5mm sway bar rubbing (or vibrating) against the subframe. The bar was hitting the subframe on the the 2 "L" brackets on the back side where the rear bolts connect to the body. I put a thin piece of rubber-backed outdoor carpet between the bar and the bracket (rubber on the frame, carpet on the bar so it can rotate), and no more noise. Strange this hasn't happened to someone else before - the bar would only fit with the brackets as far back as they could go, and the bar was still hitting the subframe. There was no way to adjust it to NOT hit. I'll wait and see if this is a permanent fix, but all's good for now.

Eric

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 AM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I looked at my H-Sport bar and thought it might be rubbing so I might have to try using some adhesive backed teflon strips (instead of carpet) the next time I rotate my tires.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Gipper
2nd Gear
I will probably change it out to teflon or nylon later - this was a temp fix to see if that was indeed the issue. Maybe even a rubber hose coated with grease wrapped around the bar would work, too.

Eric

Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I remember after installing my 22mm RSB looking at the clearance and wondering how anyone ever made a 25.5mm fit without it rubbing.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm dealing with a similar rattle. No one I know can drive stick, so I can't get back there to really listen for it. Mine sounds like plastic rattling against the body, and it is louder if I have the rear seat folded down. IT only rattles over small bumps, not big ones. It also sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger side. This rattle is driving me nuts!!! I may try to record the sound to see if anyone else's is similar.