R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Shocks replacement?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shocks replacement?

Hi guys,
I am wondering is my R56S in need to have a set of new shocks. (If I need shocks, any recommendations? normal street driving and very rare spirited back road stormer, but no track or auto-x-ing) Its got 50k miles and stock normal springs and shocks. I am asking that because the front is lower than the rear. The front is about 3 fingers between wheel and wheel arch and the rear is more like 4 fingers width. Last time the tire rotation guy told me that one of the front wheel got slightly uneven wear on the inner edge. Can anyone help?

Old 03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
There are a multitude of threads discussing this very issue. There is only one common theme in those threads that should be considered and that is KONI FSD struts. You will find them at:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fs...5-r56-r57.html

While you are there, also look at and strongly consider a 19 or 22 MM rear sway bar. If you're not sure about which, communicate with the guy and he can give you more details. They can both be installed during the same lift. Together, they are the very best 'bang for the buck' mod you can make. You won't believe the difference in handling.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:30 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I agree with the above recommendation of Koni FSD shocks for a daily driver. They are an upgrade over the factory shock, and are a comfortable option when using stock height springs.

Mike

Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think Way is even doing a special on Koni shocks at the moment. Give them a call and see what they can do for pricing.

With regards to whether you need shocks or not that depends. At 50k miles they're probably not too bad. Even if the shocks aren't blown a set of Koni FSDs should really improve the ride quality.

The wear on the front tire could be a number of things. First thing that comes to mind is if you've had the front control arm bushings replaced. They fail all the time and can cause uneven tire wear.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by a2oc
Hi guys,
I am wondering is my R56S in need to have a set of new shocks. (If I need shocks, any recommendations? normal street driving and very rare spirited back road stormer, but no track or auto-x-ing) Its got 50k miles and stock normal springs and shocks.
The funny thing about shocks, is that you really can't tell when they are dead. They degrade gradually with miles, and by 50K, all OEM BMW and MINI shocks are usually past useless.
As others have mentioned, Koni FSD's make for a very reasonable street choice. I had them on one of my ex-bimmers, and they were a great fit for a daily driver. You can keep and reuse stock springs - they hardly ever go bad.

I am asking that because the front is lower than the rear. The front is about 3 fingers between wheel and wheel arch and the rear is more like 4 fingers width. Last time the tire rotation guy told me that one of the front wheel got slightly uneven wear on the inner edge. Can anyone help?
You can't judge shock wear by wheel arch gaps - those are controlled by the springs. Shocks only dampen the isolation of the springs induced by road imperfections.

Depending on the level of wear and type, your may or may not need an alignment. Installing new suspension usually calls for one (not always). In your case, it would be a desirable follow-up step. I would also make an extra effort to inspect the front strut towers for any damage or mushrooming.

Lastly, do ask around local MINI or BMW club about recommended independent shops that should undertake this job. I would not trust a dealer with anything more than swapping out parts under warranty.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 03-13-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:56 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
thanks for all of your inputs, it looks like I'm going to swap the shocks pretty soon as the ride quality is getting a point of intolerable :( But the weird thing when I did a quote in my local firestone store, the guy ask me if I'm interested to use the monroe shocks instead of the fsds as they are a whopping $50 less for the whole bill and $120 rebate. But that was just OEM grade replacement only. Dont think it would worth it when everyone in the forum say the FSD are so good lol

Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I'd still go for the FSD's. Monroe is just oem replacement.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Back in the mid '60s I belonged to a SCC that was a bunch of solo'n fools. One of them had a big balloon that they floated above the track, had a big face painted on the side of it. We all referred to it as the 'god of KONI'. They were THE struts even back then.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:11 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Back in the mid '60s I belonged to a SCC that was a bunch of solo'n fools. One of them had a big balloon that they floated above the track, had a big face painted on the side of it. We all referred to it as the 'god of KONI'. They were THE struts even back then.
I just put a set of Koni sports on my NA miata. Build date of the shocks was 1998. Took them to nationals with me and had Koni look them over and they said there were no issues so I tossed them on.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using NAMotoring

Old 03-10-2015, 09:48 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
There are a multitude of threads discussing this very issue. There is only one common theme in those threads that should be considered and that is KONI FSD struts. You will find them at:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fs...5-r56-r57.html

While you are there, also look at and strongly consider a 19 or 22 MM rear sway bar. If you're not sure about which, communicate with the guy and he can give you more details. They can both be installed during the same lift. Together, they are the very best 'bang for the buck' mod you can make. You won't believe the difference in handling.
That is what I did to mine few years ago. I thought the FSD'S and the 22mm swaybar made as much or more difference to the ride than replacing the runflats. And Way knows his stuff.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:16 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
I'm thinking should I go for koni sport instead of FSD as the price were that big difference..............

Old 03-20-2015, 03:22 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I put a set of four Koni FSDs on my Clubman back in January. So far they are wonderful. My originals had begun to rattle over bumps. I originally had the 'Sport Suspension' from 2008. Now that my OEM shocks are gone, I wonder what's left of my Sport Suspension? I never did understand what came with it. I assumed stiffer shocks, maybe a bigger sway bar.

My car handles so nicely, even for a Mini and it's not just the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, so does anyone now what is down there helping out those new Konis?

Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 PM
LaserblueS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an alignment required after changing struts?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Alignment is what's probably causing your tire ware.

Yes you probably should get an alignment if you change shocks, though not technically required.

I'd get the sports, just because you have the option of adding lowering springs later if you want too. Something that isn't an option with the FSD's

Old 05-27-2015, 09:33 AM
GaDawg
Neutral
Koni FSDs with Short Springs

Hey All, first post!
I like the sound of the Koni FSDs and was ready to pull the trigger until I read that they cannot be used in combination with short springs. I currently have BC coilovers which lower my '08 MCS to the perfect height, but the abuse is too much on rough surfaces, so I want to smooth it out without losing the lowered height. I want to get away from coilovers altogether, so the shock/spring route is my chosen path. If there is another set-up of shocks and short springs that you recommend, please don't hesitate to throw ideas my way. BTW, I also looked at the Bilstein HD Sport Shocks. Any preferences on short springs (e.g., H&R, NM, TSW, etc...)?

I would appreciate whatever help or advice you MINI vets have out there.

Cheers

Old 05-27-2015, 11:21 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Sorry, you are pretty much screwed. If your coilovers are at the perfect height, (whatever that is if it exists, I'm assuming aesthetics), and the ride is horrible, there is nothing you can buy that will keep that height and make the ride better.

Sorry, it just doesn't exist. Springs keep the car off the ground, determine the amount of weight transfer, and keep the driveshafts at a reasonable angle. Shocks control the springs, and the rate of weight transfer. The lower you go, the stiffer the spring you need, and the stiffer the shock to control it. No conventional spring is going to be able to do what you are asking.

Race car looks and working well on the street are VERY difficult and expensive to TRY and achieve.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 AM
GaDawg
Neutral
Thanks for the quick Reply.
I completely understand the trade-offs, just curious. It wouldn't kill me to raise the car somewhat, I just want to keep it at a minimum. What are your thoughts on the Bilstein HD Sport or Koni Yellows with short springs?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hi guys,
I am wondering is my R56S in need to have a set of new shocks. (If I need shocks, any recommendations? normal street driving and very rare spirited back road stormer, but no track or auto-x-ing) Its got 50k miles and stock normal springs and shocks. I am asking that because the front is lower than the rear. The front is about 3 fingers between wheel and wheel arch and the rear is more like 4 fingers width. Last time the tire rotation guy told me that one of the front wheel got slightly uneven wear on the inner edge. Can anyone help?

Just for reference, new shocks won't raise your height.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:03 PM
GaDawg
Neutral
Correct, but standard sized springs will. I want to go with short springs, but they don't work with the Koni FSDs that everyone recommends, so I wanted to (1) confirm that they indeed cannot go together, and (2) get recommendations for a set of shocks to go with the aforementioned short springs, ad finally (3) get recommendations on short springs (e.g., H&D, NM or TSW). I'm trying to find the "best" combination of shocks and short springs to maintain the sportiness, smoothing the ride out a bit and keeping the ride as low as possible for (Yes) aesthetic reasons.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:07 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Post a picture of your car, and give a height from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. That way we can see how low you like it. Also give some other info, like tire size, purpose of car (daily driver, autocross, etc) and your budget.

Mike

Old 05-27-2015, 12:15 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Finally got my self a set of FSDs, they do really transform the ride quality from rock solid to pleasantly firm

Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 PM
GaDawg
Neutral
Finally got my self a set of FSDs, they do really transform the ride quality from rock solid to pleasantly firm
Can I assume you kept the OEM springs?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:33 PM
GaDawg
Neutral
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Post a picture of your car, and give a height from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. That way we can see how low you like it. Also give some other info, like tire size, purpose of car (daily driver, autocross, etc) and your budget.

Mike
Good call Mike.
Spirited Daily driver. I bought it for my son, but I get to ring it out often. Trying to keep the budget under control.
Riding on 16" Borbet, with Kumho 205/50ZR16 87W tires.
F: Two fingers between tire and front arch, 24 1/4" from ground to arch
R: One finger between tire and rear arch, 24" from ground to arch

BTW, sorry for the dirty wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Shocks replacement?-photo-1.jpg   Shocks replacement?-photo-2.jpg   Shocks replacement?-photo-4.jpg  
Old 05-27-2015, 01:39 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
That is a reasonable ride height, looks like the car should have from the factory. That is pretty close to the same height as I'm at with TSW springs. I have heard that they are on back order, though. I'm very happy with my setup (koni yellows almost full soft).

I have read good things about NM springs and Koni Yellows as a combination. You will also need to trim your bump stops (or get aftermarket). I have also read that several people are happy with swift springs.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
For a point of reference, NM says it has installed a lot if their springs with the FSD's, with no problems. They say Koni did a mild redesign of the FSD, that took care of that issue. But I wouldn't go any lower than NM. It's just too stressful on the half shafts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 Shocks replacement?