R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2009 MCS clutch is still perfect but TOB is now making noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:57 PM
vinnyzilla
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MCS clutch is still perfect but TOB is now making noise!!!

2009 MCS 70K clutch is still perfect but TOB is now making noise!!!

My gf 2009 mini which is a hella nice MCS and clutch always works and performs fine and strong now has a TOB noise like i've had on a few minis and sold em and wondering if there is any chance the Mini SA and Foreman will approve her warranty on the TOB when clutch is perfectly fine still?

My buddy I grew up with is a Mini SA and he says we gotta put up the "tear down" cost and they havta get in there to see bl bla bla... what i told him that wasn't real logical approach to verdict since test drive can prove the clutch still runs like a grape ape performance wise and ya only hear the TOB in neutral each and every time you press the clutch in it goes away like clockwork.

We all know these TOB are made of plastic and have premature failures on this nuisance noise issue when clutch is still 100% good. I feel it is a warranty issue but the gamble and risk of paying the "tear down" cost and then just blaming the driver and using the "abuse card" is what I'm worried about here. I've been told by my buddy whom will be SA on this that it is up to the Foreman ultimately since above his pay grade and I'll havta talk to him.

My gf does not have the ext maintenance warranty or this would not be an issue cuz I know the clutch is not burnt and they would pay for the TOB repair and no gamble of tear down cost paid by us because the maintenance warranty covers clutch assy IF NOT BURNT OR ABUSED.

She can buy the maintenance warranty for $2350 which then they will do for free cuz clutch is covered or pay for whole job for 3200 ish which she does not have the money to do either ---> I still need to talk to Foreman and see if he will cover the tear down to evaluated the bad TOB (even though pushing in clutch does the exact same purpose) for the FACT THE CLUTCH IS 100% PERFORMANCE WISE. So my question(s) to you guys is:

1.) Is this Foreman gonna shoot this idea out of the water cz of 70K miles even thought clutch is still 100% working order and performance wise?

2.) Should I trust him if he agrees if we commit to tear down cost that he will pay for it in the end if the evaluation after teardown proves that the TOB is the ONLY THING WRONG?

I know cutch has 70k but it works 100% fine and its not fair this notorious crappy a** 7$ plastic TOB is now making noise and not going to fix itself and only get louder where we cannot eventually sell her mini w/o fixing it.

I would appreciate any advice on prepping me for the foreman and is there any Rowe vs TOB precedent I can use to help my case to persuade him lol???

Thank You Guys in Advance,

Dad_x3

Last edited by vinnyzilla; 03-05-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:12 AM
vinnyzilla
1st Gear
mang no love on this TOB vs. warranty issue... bump bump...

And I just bought a 2005 SC that needs a clutch and is there any quick advice on what clutch assy I should replace it with that may have better TOB than stock and possibly beefier assy like what's in the factory JCW?

Thx in Advance,

Dad_x3

Old 03-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
This happened to my 6 months ago, there was this screeching noise coming from the transmission housing, at first I thought it was the hydraulic cylinder that pushes in on the clutch fork. It was the TOB and dealer paid for half the labor $3200/=$1600 and I paid for all brand new clutch components including a new flywheel.

We are (we & SA) not idiots here, everybody knows what causing the annoying screeching sound, if the SA can't come to an agreement to replaced the TOB that if it is in fact the TOB and labor go to an indy shop. I suspect you will be on the hook for half the labor costs and the dealer takes care of the other half of the labor plus the cost of the TOB.

This is your best case scenario and if you think for one second the dealer is going to pay 100 percent of the cost, think again. That doesn't happen often, but it does happen every blue moon. The dealer is in it to make $$$$, not lose money, they usually end up with some profit/sales.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 PM
vinnyzilla
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
This happened to my 6 months ago, there was this screeching noise coming from the transmission housing, at first I thought it was the hydraulic cylinder that pushes in on the clutch fork. It was the TOB and dealer paid for half the labor $3200/=$1600 and I paid for all brand new clutch components including a new flywheel.

We are (we & SA) not idiots here, everybody knows what causing the annoying screeching sound, if the SA can't come to an agreement to replaced the TOB that if it is in fact the TOB and labor go to an indy shop. I suspect you will be on the hook for half the labor costs and the dealer takes care of the other half of the labor plus the cost of the TOB.

This is your best case scenario and if you think for one second the dealer is going to pay 100 percent of the cost, think again. That doesn't happen often, but it does happen every blue moon. The dealer is in it to make $$$$, not lose money, they usually end up with some profit/sales.

True that about dealer and bottom line... and thx for the information especially since it is so it is close of an example to my situation. I still havn't gone into dealer yet. I just purchased a awesome deal on a custom 05 MCS convertible with a bad clutch and doing it myself and most likely do my girls 09 after that and save us a ton of money unless foreman grants me "warranty". I'm going with a Valeo single mass kit after reading the forums here all day today. I'll be spending less than 600$ on kit, rear main seal, input shaft seal, few quarts of redline MTL and a 79$ for engine support bar. I have all these accumulation of tools invested in my lifetime and it's about time I tackle a big project to save us some money especially when I might be doing 2 of them now and as you do each time you get faster and and more efficient. I've studied the Youtube videos most of the day and then cleaned up and straightened out my garage in good shop condition. I expect to take me 12-14 hours the first time. I want to do the bushings while im in there and maybe the motor mounts and struts so that will bring up the labor and parts cost but this clutch job you're already have everything torn down so it's a good time to do get all that done. Now I havta look into the bushing kits, ball joints, steering knuckles and motor mounts and get that ordered for this older 05 and hopefully that is sold as a kit and get those parts coming asap so I can get it all done this weekend! Anyone know a good place for these suspension parts? and maybe a strut recommendation(s) too?

Thanks!!!

Dad_x3

Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've not pulled a trans out of an r53 but I've done a few r56s and I believe the procedure is fairly different for the two. I think the r56 is far easier as you don't have to remove anything off the front end/bumper area.

With regards to the TOB issue the vehicles warranty has long expired so it doesn't surprise me that the mini dealer isn't replacing it under warranty. If you bought the extended warranty then you might have a case to get the clutch replaced but they might also just fix only what was broken and just replace the TOB and put it all back together. I'd say depends on your dealer.