Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Resonator delete pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 PM
tilted
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resonator delete pipes

I've been debating changing my resonator delete pipe (hot side) and cold side pipe as well. I know there are restrictive areas on both sides of the intercooler on the car. Just looking to get experiences rather than reading info off the companies websites.

A couple of things: for anyone who has done it, so you notice any performance gains, not only just hp/torque but decrease in lag etc.

What pipes did you use? Debating between NM and forge but those NM pipes are price but have multiple joins in them.

Was planning on getting a tune on the car but it's still under warranty so I'm holding off on it for now. Just trying to make the car a bit more responsive.

Thoughts?

Any other suggestions are always welcome.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It works... I have the Forge piece, increases throttle response, and I do not regret the upgrade. Plus it allows for a more aggressive sound. No Turbo Lag. It does not increases diameter or space of piping. Just frees unneeded restriction.

Best bet is go in this order:

DP (Catless)
FMIC
Tune
Spark Plugs
DV Spring
Intake for sound, or DOS Intake if you are lucky
Then minor tweaks such as Tubes etc...

BTW if you up the HP/Torque:

Might as well improve suspension and tire setup

Old 03-04-2015, 10:54 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Not as advanced as most here, but I did 2 or 3 simple things on my 2011 that seemed to make a difference. First was an exhaust resonator delete. That made the exhaust sound a bit sweeter, and increased my pops and burbles a bit. Then a JB+ set to 50%, lately stepped up to 60%. Plug-and-play. Gotta love that. Then put a straight pipe in place of my "muffler" on the turbo-to-intercooler deal. Cold-side? Hot-side? Either way, less restriction=better flow, I figure. I now hear more turbo noise, and more "blowoff" noise. MiniFini mesh fitted to hood scoop. Next is a "cold-air" intake. I really wish DOS was still in business, as that intake looks frigging awesome! I need to work on my idea of a cowl-induction system more, as I now realize that the bottom side of the airbox is not exactly "lined-up" with the available cowl air source. The effort continues. Motor On!

Old 03-05-2015, 04:17 AM
tilted
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
It works... I have the Forge piece, increases throttle response, and I do not regret the upgrade. Plus it allows for a more aggressive sound. No Turbo Lag. It does not increases diameter or space of piping. Just frees unneeded restriction. Best bet is go in this order: DP (Catless) FMIC Tune Spark Plugs DV Spring Intake for sound, or DOS Intake if you are lucky Then minor tweaks such as Tubes etc... BTW if you up the HP/Torque: Might as well improve suspension and tire setup
Well the first three on the list come hand in hand. It doesn't really make any sense to do the cat and FMIC if I'm not planning on getting a tune. I'm hoping to find a GFB DV in the marketplace sometime soon and the intake debate is something I haven't commented on, but I've read enough on here to know that it's a bit of a personal decision but I went the route of just changing the panel filter to a high flowing AFE filter. Spark plugs are going to be changed as soon as the weather up in Canada goes above positive, more for maintenance than anything.

I'm pretty curious if anyone has tried both forge and NM and noticed any difference at all.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I literally sawzalled a 9" section off of some 3" aluminum pipe I have in the shop and used a couple hose clamps to replace that POS. IDGAF if it actually makes a difference, having that thing out of there gave me enough space to be able to replace my tie rods with a crescent wrench instead of a tie rod puller (ie expensive tool with one purpose). It MAY have increased noise a little bit, but I already have a cold air intake and that is a huge sound difference.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:03 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tilted
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
It works... I have the Forge piece, increases throttle response, and I do not regret the upgrade. Plus it allows for a more aggressive sound. No Turbo Lag. It does not increases diameter or space of piping. Just frees unneeded restriction. Best bet is go in this order: DP (Catless) FMIC Tune Spark Plugs DV Spring Intake for sound, or DOS Intake if you are lucky Then minor tweaks such as Tubes etc... BTW if you up the HP/Torque: Might as well improve suspension and tire setup
Well the first three on the list come hand in hand. It doesn't really make any sense to do the cat and FMIC if I'm not planning on getting a tune.
Oh, yes, it does.
Stock intercooler is tiny, and gets heat soaked after first autoX run (or if you look at it funny). Just upgrading the FMIC will preserve performance in the most noticeable way!

While you are installing larger FMIC, you might as well swap the air intake pipes between turbo and FMIC.

Originally Posted by tilted
I'm hoping to find a GFB DV in the marketplace sometime soon and the intake debate is something I haven't commented on, but I've read enough on here to know that it's a bit of a personal decision but I went the route of just changing the panel filter to a high flowing AFE filter. Spark plugs are going to be changed as soon as the weather up in Canada goes above positive, more for maintenance than anything.

I'm pretty curious if anyone has tried both forge and NM and noticed any difference at all.
You can try all of the above, and then some, including various "CAI" intakes, and you will not measureany appreciable difference in performance. You will easily convince yourself that you hear it, courtesy of increased noises, but performance increase from messing with the air piping is negligible (if any) compared to installing a larger FMIC coupled with an aftermarket tune that takes advantage of it.

Now, if you want to go faster, address the suspension and tires!

a

Old 03-09-2015, 06:15 AM
tilted
1st Gear
Well that's a valid point. I'm not planning on doing any autoX in the near future. Just more for my driving enjoyment although I might take the car to the track in the summer.

I guess I'll just save up some money for a FMIC/suspension/new wheels. I was just thinking about some other places I can spend a little less money that would improve the driving experience until those upgrades come along. Plus, I just got into a masters program so I don't have very much extra cash laying around.

Well other than the big ticket items, what other small upgrades could be done?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
I Have done the Muffler cold side delete and it keeps popping off?
Wrong size maybe? If so What size are you guys using? I don't remember the size I have on! It's been awhile. I see 3" diameter by 8" inches long
I see 2" diameter and 8" long I see 2.5 in Diameter 8" long..
So what is the size?...I'm not paying $100 for no advancement in HP for this pipe..
or should I put the stock back on which I won't do, I believe the stock is restrictive in air flow...anyone with the exact size of this pipe?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you have a pipe coming off you must have the wrong size or a defective clamp.

We actually now offer our own cost effective res delete pipe. This is machined perfectly with an edge to seal and hold tight to the stock clamps.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-res...7-r58-r59.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Thanx Way!..

Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM
robgib
1st Gear
I also want to delete the turbo muffler on my R56. Have you had any troubles getting the car smogged? From your mods list it looks like you got the Alta delete tube. When I contacted them about it they said it was not legal in CA and was for racing only.
Thanks,
Rob Gibson

Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
We don't have Emissions testing in South Florida..I bought the way delete tube..
no cats no res..no emissions....Good Luck...robgib..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
rob, I have a feeling they have to say it's not CARB legal to cover their butts, but in practice most smog shops won't do that thorough of a check to identify modified intercooler tubing. I don't even think you can see the change looking down at it because the coolant tank is in the way. I say go for it

Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 AM
robgib
1st Gear
Those are my feelings exactly but I thought I'd post the question just to get input from the members. By the way, my mechanic also agrees with this and adds that the smog test has changed, they don't stick the thing up the exhaust pipe anymore, they monitor everything from the OBD connection. So changing the turbo hose should go unnoticed.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 PM
robgib
1st Gear
I deleted the turbo muffler on my R56 using the ALTA product. What I noticed was that the car runs cooler by 5 degrees and that it doesn't stumble or buck from a dead stop anymore. I noticed no increase in noise. I'm glad I did it.
Biggest hurdle on the install was to remove the bolt that attaches the actual muffler box to the car. Tough to get to because a hose is in the way.
I don't know if it will pass CA smog, we'll see.
Good Luck.