R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Battery registry

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 PM
rtbship
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Battery registry

Does anyone have instructions or procedure for registering a new battery in the R56? 2007 specifically. I've read many of the posts regarding changing out the battery and the pros and cons of registering. All posts have been very informative and useful; however, I have not come across a post with specific instructions.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Nothing magic about it. Swap out the battery and you may have to reset the clock or maybe the radio presets. Replacing a battery is a routine procedure, any big box automotive supply house will do it for you and have you back on the street in no time.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I changed out my non MINI battery ,when I brought the car to the dealer for some unrelated work , they said the computer needed to be programmed to the new battery. So I had it done , who knows?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
need ncs expert or such software and hardware, there is no easy way to do like resetting oil life etc. Or take to a independent shop or MINI dealership.

My son replaced his battery with an autozone battery like 3 years ago, never bothered with registering and never had a problem.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure of the date cut off, but some vehicles don't need to have the battery registered and some do.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This question has been around for some time. Let's review.

There are 2 different scenarios involved with the R56.

1. Models that were manufactured with the intelligent battery system module. These cars have a small box attached to the battery cable (size of pack of cigarettes maybe). These cars should have the battery programmed after replacing because it tells the system how to charge a new battery compared to an old battery. Should help life of battery if reset. Compared to over charging a new battery that it thinks is old.

2. Cars that don't have the IBS. Nothing is required. Just replace and go.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Nothing magic about it. Swap out the battery and you may have to reset the clock or maybe the radio presets. Replacing a battery is a routine procedure, any big box automotive supply house will do it for you and have you back on the street in no time.
IF this was a 1st Gen MINI, I would agree, however that is incorrect. In the 2nd Gen models it is important to register new charging cycles basically telling the DME a new battery was installed and to adjust those cycles for a while.

Shatzy62 wrote it best so in an effort to save time here is a copy and paste.

THERE IS a procedure that is supposed to be done on the computer system when a battery is replaced and it DOES affect the way the car sees the battery. No it does not take 1.5 hours only about 5 minutes.

So for those who think this is BS well it is not totally

Here is the wording straight out of the Wiring Diagram Service from BMW/MINI

Registering the battery replacement

Why register the battery replacement?
After fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. Registration of the battery replacement is necessary to notify the power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been fitted in the vehicle.

Without registration of the battery replacement, the power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations, for example reduction or deactivation of individual consumer units.
Register battery replacement

This function informs the power management in the DME/DDE of a battery replacement. The following operations are performed:

•The current kilometre reading is stored for the battery replacement.

•The stored measured values (battery charge statuses, current, voltage, temperature, etc.) are deleted.

•The power management is initialised.
Replacing the battery: other battery capacity or AGM battery
As the battery depends on the engine ands options fitted, the following information is coded in the CAS:

•Battery capacity (for example 90 Ah)

•Battery type: AGM battery or lead-acid battery.

In the case of battery replacement, in general the battery capacity used as series standard may be used.
On installation of a battery with higher or lower capacity or installation of an AGM battery, Progman must be used to recode the CAS:

•With Progman, run the retrofit ”Battery” (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).

•Register additional battery replacements with this service function.

Battery: battery capacity and battery type

The battery capacity can be read from the label with the technical data. The other label contains safety instructions.
AGM batteries can be recognised by the black battery housing. The cycle-proof AGM batteries are used for especially heavy loads on the vehicle network depending on equipment and requirements.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Gray,

Thanks for adding the documentation I totally agree that it is what is stated and the manufacturer claims it impacts the battery life etc.

But again, this is only for the 2nd gen cars with the IBS battery system. Not all were made with them. My 09 JCW didn't have the IBS. There nothing to program. PER THE DEALER.

It's easy to check. The module is inline on the battery cable maybe 8 inches downstream.

Realoem and Penskeparts shows 2 different battery cables. One with the module one without. I have no idea what option package triggered the IBS on build. My JCW was low option: no cruise, no sunroof, no mfsw.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:01 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
I'm with 05r50 on this. My wife's 08 Clubman has no IBS. Changed the battery a year ago & all is well. If you have the IBS then yes programming is warranted, no IBS no programming needed.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just remember you can't have IBS without BS and that's what I call battery registry

Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Always educational. The Raven has the definitive answer for us Gen 1 holdouts. Maybe I need to study up a little on the Gen 2 and 3 so's I know when to keep my own council. One thing though. Isn't it worrisome that the manufacturers are evolving a system that really doesn't need evolved just for the sake of automating these cars beyond necessary? After all, a it's just a friggin' battery.

The future of the flashlight: 1. replace batteries 2. connect flashlight usb cable to computer 3. access manufacturers website 4. select model of flashlight 5. re-flash flashlight!

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 02-25-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM
rtbship
Neutral
My R56 does have the IBS which lead me to the decision to do the registry. Being a thrifty individual, I wanted to attempt this myself before handing over the buck to a mechanic and because there is no dealer closer than 100 miles to me. In the post from Gray Raven my question would be; how do I access the service function 'Register battery replacement' ? Is this done through the rev counter or is a separate computer needed to do the registry?

Last edited by rtbship; 02-26-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BMWhat now offers this (I have not tried it for Minis yet...)

Old 03-02-2015, 08:01 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Battery registry could be two parts if you change the battery type or size. I wonder if BMWhat app addresses both or just resets to a new battery without option to tell the car the battery size.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM
njsteve
1st Gear
If anyone in NYC/Northern NJ area wants me to change their battery type and/or register their new battery, PM me. I can do it for 20 bucks. I live near Giants Stadium. I bought the Carly for BMW app yesterday and registered my new battery. Everything seems to work great so far. For anyone that wants to get their own, The app and adapter cost me about $135 total. I would like to recoup what I paid. Depending if you need fault codes reset, It takes about 15-20 mins to do everything. My battery died so a bunch of fault codes showed up as Low Voltage. I had 21 fault codes due to the old battery dying and I reset everything. If there's 10 guys that want to meet up, I can do it for 10 bucks. I'm not trying to make a profit, just get back what I paid.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Ten guys in NJ all needing batter registration at the same time, dream on. Are you going for the record of how many threads you can spam in one day?

Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 AM
njsteve
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Ten guys in NJ all needing batter registration at the same time, dream on. Are you going for the record of how many threads you can spam in one day?
Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Spam everyone and ruin their wonderful day. Thanks for your unhelpful post in pointing that out and adding to the "Spam" with your useless comment.

I'm sure many people would be thrilled to pay $10 or $20 to have their battery reset and not have to pay the dealership to do it. If I saw this offered on here, I would have met up with the person posting and have him do it for me instead of pay $135 for the app/adapter myself. Having 10 people come to my house at different times and then doing the work for them for $10 is a waste of my time if I wasn't trying to do a service for the mini community in my area and at the same time recoup what I paid. Hell... I'd do it for $5 if 20 people needed it done, but I doubt I could even get 10 people.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:47 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Guess if I needed that done I'd be glad to pay $20. You'd drive to Nunavut & do it would you? Lucky for me & most other MINI owners we don't have the IBS thing on our cars.