R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tire kingdom...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:15 PM
LZRBLUE
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire kingdom...

I had a couple new tires installed today and go to pick up the mini and now my brake light is on and the red service indicator was lit up for a few minutes.
They closed when I left and I called the store and spoke with the service advisor guy. I describe what's happening and he says... Did you release the handbrake😐
I said listen my brake light wasn't on when I dropped it off and now it is. He says to bring it back tomorrow so a "master tech" can look at it.

My car was the last one to leave and I'm assuming the tire tech that worked on my car rushed and messed up something.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:15 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The brake light can come on when the pads are really low hitting the sensor, may be a very bad timing on a coincidence.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 AM
LZRBLUE
2nd Gear
Sure I understand that, but a few months ago I replaced the front pads, rotors, wear sensor in the front, and all the rubber brake lines with braided steel ones.
The sensor in the back I removed from its slot in the brake pad and tied it out of the way so that the sensor will never wear causing the brake light to come on.

So I'm still perplexed as to why the brake light & red service light came on immediately upon leaving.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:02 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's likely that they cut the sensor wire when they put the wheel back on. The wire comes out of the caliper on the left front and right rear wheel end. It's also been known to have a tech purposely cut the wires to indicate that you need brakes as a scam.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 AM
LZRBLUE
2nd Gear
Yeah I'm about to head over there and find out. I took a look around now that it's daylight and I didn't see a wheel weight on one of the wheels that had a new tire installed, also found fresh little scratches on every freaking wheel😡😡

Old 02-22-2015, 06:25 AM
DOtheDEW
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Before heading over I'd check the control messages in the car, hold the trip button for a few seconds then it will tell you which services are due and are coming up. If you used aftermarket sensors, sometimes with aftermarket sensors they'll set the brake light or maybe the tech saw the rear brake sensor hanging off and took it off, or even maybe put it back into the pads, give the rear sensor a check.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:38 AM
LZRBLUE
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DOtheDEW
Before heading over I'd check the control messages in the car, hold the trip button for a few seconds then it will tell you which services are due and are coming up. If you used aftermarket sensors, sometimes with aftermarket sensors they'll set the brake light or maybe the tech saw the rear brake sensor hanging off and took it off, or even maybe put it back into the pads, give the rear sensor a check.
Far as I know it is the factory sensor in the rear. Car had about 28K on it when I bought it and it was owned by a snow bird who barely drove 7k miles/year.

The sensor was dangling when I checked it last night after I drove home. I had it tucked around the e-brake part of the brake caliper and had been that way for several months. It may be coincidence that the brake light came on I just don't see it.

Other than being dirty, the sensor is not worn like the front one was when I changed the front brakes. I'm assuming that the sensor doesn't change state until the plastic housing is worn and grounds out due to the wire or metal inside now being in contact with the rotor.

The "master tech" wasn't there so I was just dealing with a manager. Have to bring it back in tomorrow if I want the master tech to look at it. Manager also said he will contact a wheel refurbishing place to see about taking car of all the scratches from his careless tire tech.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 PM
LZRBLUE
2nd Gear
Finally resolved!! They gave me a new brake wear sensor and paid to have all my wheels refinished. No before pics, but I'm happy with the results and that they did the right thing and fixed their mistakes.

Attached Thumbnails Tire kingdom...-image-3556398108.jpg  
Old 03-04-2015, 05:07 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got one word for Tire Kingdom and I can't post it here. Every time I have used them they lie. I have had good experiences with Tire rack.com though, its hard to believe they are the same company.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
LZRBLUE
2nd Gear
Friend of mine used pep boys to install his CCW's on his S2K. They did a good job. I may use them in the future.