R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Need some Feedback prior to pulling the trigger on a couple Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some Feedback prior to pulling the trigger on a couple Mods

So as most may know, I'm running the Manic Stage II +. All my current Mods listed in my Sig: CAI/FMIC/Res Delete IC Pipe/TBE, etc...

Well, first off Im getting some new tires. This is a must so I've decided to upgrade to 215/45/17 Non run flats. Should increase traction a bit

I have some extra tax refund money and I'm looking to get the following:

A) BSH Lower Engine Mount R56; Hoping to get more power to the wheels.

B) H-Sport Competition Rear Sway Bar; Not sure if this will be a little too much or just right when coupled with my JCW sports suspension (Dealer Installed).

C) www.howertonengineering.net/mini-cooper-tank-assembly, MINI Cooper Tank Assembly; Not exactly sure what this comes with. Does anyone know if I will have issues using this paired with my Snow Performance pump/Devils own hardware? Hoping it will be "Plug-n-Play".

I know some of these topics have been covered. I did my homework. I feel as though I peeked on the HP performance mods, unless I upgrade turbo. Not ready for that yet. So I figured dial in/tighten up the suspension, reduce motor slop.

Let me know if any of you have reached this point, and whether there is a better route or alternative solutions to what Im looking for.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The H-sport rear bar will be nice. It is adjustable, so you can tune it to what you like. I run mine in the middle setting.

There is lots of options for lower mounts, and just as many opinions on what people like. On my car (an auto, which can be more sensitive), I like the NM mount insert, but the Powerflex yellow had too much vibration at idle for my taste.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 02-09-2015, 06:19 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
If you're going to get a complete replacement lower engine mount then the one from Colin is the way to go.

http://www.greeneperformance.com/col...6m-torque-link

Old 02-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
If you're going to get a complete replacement lower engine mount then the one from Colin is the way to go.

http://www.greeneperformance.com/col...6m-torque-link
That looks a little more hardcore than the BSH. Are you running this or the inserts?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the NM Large insert and the Powerflex press in small insert. That made a very pleasant change in the everyday driving feel. A lot less slop, a non-agressive accelerations are a lot smoother.

The H-Sport Comp. bar is awesome. I can't decide if this or my 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires made the biggest difference in handling. Both both made a HUGE handling impact. I didn't have runflats before, but they were Eagle GT tires that came on the car when I bought them. Those were trash tires.

Obviously I would say do it all!!! But thats not always realistic. If you're going to get into autocross or drive a lot of twisties, the Swaybar is my vote. If your more of the street cruiser that may perform some rolling drags or something to that effect the BSH Mount is your better bet.

Keep in mind, I have seen a lot of people on the Marketplace sell their BSH mount because there was such a large increase in NVH.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
That looks a little more hardcore than the BSH. Are you running this or the inserts?
I have the NM insert. Much cheaper than replacing the whole arm. I was worried about the increase in NVH so I stayed away from BSH, the one from Colin wasn't available yet. It would be nice to have a comparison between the two.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the H sport and NM insert.

Also get yourself a Burger Tuning clutch stop--best 10 bucks I've spent.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
I have the NM Large insert and the Powerflex press in small insert. That made a very pleasant change in the everyday driving feel. A lot less slop, a non-agressive accelerations are a lot smoother.

The H-Sport Comp. bar is awesome. I can't decide if this or my 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires made the biggest difference in handling. Both both made a HUGE handling impact. I didn't have runflats before, but they were Eagle GT tires that came on the car when I bought them. Those were trash tires.

Obviously I would say do it all!!! But thats not always realistic. If you're going to get into autocross or drive a lot of twisties, the Swaybar is my vote. If your more of the street cruiser that may perform some rolling drags or something to that effect the BSH Mount is your better bet.

Keep in mind, I have seen a lot of people on the Marketplace sell their BSH mount because there was such a large increase in NVH.
Yeah from all the feedback, seems like I'm on the right track.

I have the NM insert. Much cheaper than replacing the whole arm. I was worried about the increase in NVH so I stayed away from BSH, the one from Colin wasn't available yet. It would be nice to have a comparison between the two.
Reason I wanted the full mount was so not to deal with the hassle of putting in the insert. Wondering if the Collin is worth the extra $50, I mean will it provide same stiffness with less NVH noise?

Originally Posted by cambo
+1 on the H sport and NM insert.

Also get yourself a Burger Tuning clutch stop--best 10 bucks I've spent.
Yup, I have the BMS clutch stop. Not sure why anyone would not have this, LOL...

Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
So it seems the mount and RSB are a thumbs up��

Does anyone have any info to offer on the Howerton MINI trunk tank? Hoping to just mount and hook up my line from the pump...

Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
FYI, the NM insert installs in about 2 minutes (maybe less). Email Colin about his mount.

The company that makes it is known for making great engine mounts. They make the very popular ones that people use on the R53.

Call Howerton about the tank. He'll tell you exactly what you need to know.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
FYI, the NM insert installs in about 2 minutes (maybe less). Email Colin about his mount.

The company that makes it is known for making great engine mounts. They make the very popular ones that people use on the R53.

Call Howerton about the tank. He'll tell you exactly what you need to know.
Good point, thanks Cerenkov...

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
The Hsport Comp Sway bar and NM torque arm bushings are no brainers for the R56 as they are both best bang for the buck mods. I recommend them highly. The BSH mount is ok, but I'm not a big fan of the entire replacement mounts as NVH tends to be more likely with them.

We also have the powerflex torque arm insert which is a little more cost effective.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-10-2015, 08:22 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Howerton sells a Water - Methanol Injection system. His tank holds about a gallon of the WM mix, is designed to mount behind the rear seat, and the cap has the Mini logo. Your posts imply you want to use the tank for gasoline. Don't even think about it unless you're considering a WMI system, and then go for his HFS-4.

Hsport is an awesome swaybar --- really tightens things up. My NM torque arm inserts might be OK with a few extra HP, but they're useless with over 250WHP. Colin probably has the best one available, but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Howerton sells a Water - Methanol Injection system. His tank holds about a gallon of the WM mix, is designed to mount behind the rear seat, and the cap has the Mini logo. Your posts imply you want to use the tank for gasoline. Don't even think about it unless you're considering a WMI system, and then go for his HFS-4.

Hsport is an awesome swaybar --- really tightens things up. My NM torque arm inserts might be OK with a few extra HP, but they're useless with over 250WHP. Colin probably has the best one available, but I haven't tried it yet.
Thanks for the info. As for the tank, it's for Methanol not gas. I've been running the Snow Performance set up but tank crapped on me "got what I paid for". In saying that, rather than redoing a whole kit, I am looking at running the Howerton tank with my current hardware.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:57 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
What are you looking for - handling, or HP? Seems like you've got the HP pretty well covered. If it is handling then get a stiffer RSB and some camber plates for up front, then an alignment for -1.5 to -2 deg of negative camber.

For tires, I'm really happy with my Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, I have the BMS clutch stop. Not sure why anyone would not have this, LOL...
haha my bad...didn't read your signature

Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 on the H-Sport rear bar. It's a no-compromise improvement. Actually, you do have to lube it about once a year, but otherwise no compromise. IMO, all of the replacement/insert dog bone mounts work equally as advertised. I don't like them for street cars because they do transmit quite a bit of vibrations to the cabin. That's just me, however, most everybody who installs them like them. Both the Colin mount and the BSH/Torque Solutions mounts are high-quality pieces. We just had a car come in the shop yesterday who ran over a street light post, damaging the undercarriage of the car. The car had a Colin mount which took a direct hit but didn't fail. It's pretty strong.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Thread Hack!! Question for Helix.... what do you guys use to lube the H-Sport rear bar? Something I can pick up at the store? Or do I need to order? My RSB just started squeaking yesterday

Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Thread Hack!! Question for Helix.... what do you guys use to lube the H-Sport rear bar? Something I can pick up at the store? Or do I need to order? My RSB just started squeaking yesterday
Energy Suspensions 9.11109.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Thanks!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Thanks for the info. As for the tank, it's for Methanol not gas. I've been running the Snow Performance set up but tank crapped on me "got what I paid for". In saying that, rather than redoing a whole kit, I am looking at running the Howerton tank with my current hardware.
Like Cambo, I too didn't read your signature, and I've obviously forgotten about Snow Performance.

More about the tank --- options are baffles and lights. i tried to get both, but they weren't compatible with each other --- one or the other! I chose baffles, which are like hollow ping-pong ***** full of holes. Cuts tank capacity to about 3 quarts. You're gonna need a wiring diagram to connect it, and depending on where your old tank is located, maybe a lot of wire / tubing.

Features on the HFS-4 are great, and probably a lot more versatile than the Snow unit. You should consider "biting the bullet" and go for the complete system --- well worth the investment. Had mine since it was introduced in the "group buy" and haven't read or heard about any complaints on the system.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
+1 on the H-Sport rear bar. It's a no-compromise improvement. Actually, you do have to lube it about once a year, but otherwise no compromise. IMO, all of the replacement/insert dog bone mounts work equally as advertised. I don't like them for street cars because they do transmit quite a bit of vibrations to the cabin. That's just me, however, most everybody who installs them like them. Both the Colin mount and the BSH/Torque Solutions mounts are high-quality pieces. We just had a car come in the shop yesterday who ran over a street light post, damaging the undercarriage of the car. The car had a Colin mount which took a direct hit but didn't fail. It's pretty strong.
Thanks for this input. Glad I started this thread, I would have never considered the Collins. I made up my mind and will op for it along with the H-Sport on middle setting.👍

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Like Cambo, I too didn't read your signature, and I've obviously forgotten about Snow Performance.

More about the tank --- options are baffles and lights. i tried to get both, but they weren't compatible with each other --- one or the other! I chose baffles, which are like hollow ping-pong ***** full of holes. Cuts tank capacity to about 3 quarts. You're gonna need a wiring diagram to connect it, and depending on where your old tank is located, maybe a lot of wire / tubing.

Features on the HFS-4 are great, and probably a lot more versatile than the Snow unit. You should consider "biting the bullet" and go for the complete system --- well worth the investment. Had mine since it was introduced in the "group buy" and haven't read or heard about any complaints on the system.
Awesome to know. I am looking to upgrade the whole unit, but not until I move to Stage III😁

A new tank will allow me to take advantage of some awesome Stage II + performance benefits; Especially on Map C...

Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Energy Suspensions 9.11109.
I thought with the 90-degree zerk fittings you could just connect to the bushing and pump grease into the bushings, is that correct?

Sorry if OT.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:30 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Eddie,

You might be interested in this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...runk-tank.html

Old 02-15-2015, 08:10 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Back on topic....

For sure get an H-Sport bar. I'd recommmend the 19mm, but folks seem to like the to say they have a competition bar. H-Sport make nice products. I bought mine from Helix, great folks.

Quick Reply: R56 Need some Feedback prior to pulling the trigger on a couple Mods