R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI reliability culprit, the French Peugeot engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:37 AM
flav
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI reliability culprit, the French Peugeot engine?

MINI seems to be constantly down in the lower ranks for reliability. All cars have issues of course but it seems these cars has a particular trouble spot, the French Peugeot engine. Would it be safe to assume besides this engine the MINI would score as good if not better than its rival brands in terms of overall reliability? If that answer is a yes, its a shame they partnered with a company not known for engine reliability. Imagine if these cars has Toyota partnered engines in them!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you're spot on. Unfortunately, when the motors have problems, they tend to be expensive ones. I don't know how that statistic is calculated, whether it's number of occurrences or the severity of occurrences, but if it's severity, that would count against MINI.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
In the broader sense, don't the those two words - French and reliability - in the same sentence, seem to raise questions?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The Prince engine was designed jointly by BMW and Peugeot Citroen, it is built at Hams Hall in Birmingham England.

Not really a "French" engine.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have to blame someone right?!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Makes me appreciate the bullet proof "lump" that much more.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 01-23-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:28 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
It's Bush's fault. not trying to be political just having fun.

Tom

Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
I think you're spot on. Unfortunately, when the motors have problems, they tend to be expensive ones. I don't know how that statistic is calculated, whether it's number of occurrences or the severity of occurrences, but if it's severity, that would count against MINI.

Hopefully the new Mini Cooper models with BMW engines will write a new (and better) page in Mini Coopers reliability.
We currently own a2013 Mini Cooper Coupe and absolutely love it except for fears about the Prince engines reliability. We would certainly consider trading for the 2015 Mini Cooper Coupe if only it had the new BMW engine as the other 2015 models do. Not to knock the other Mini Cooper models, but the Coupe/Roadster models are the only ones that appeal to us.
As it stands, since a non-Prince engine coupe is not in the cards, we are seriously thinking of trading our coupe in on the new 2016 Mazda Miata or something similar that has a decent reliability history.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
The Prince engine was designed jointly by BMW and Peugeot Citroen, it is built at Hams Hall in Birmingham England.

Hey, you have to blame somebody!!
While not 100% accurate, the motor IS troubled, and BMW has chosen to move on...that kinda explains it all...the partnership ended...and BMW choose to spend 100% of the cost to move on (actually redesgined the car) to fit an in house motor...is the 3rd time the charm?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TBRoye
It's Bush's fault. not trying to be political just having fun.

Tom
I got a good laugh outta this

Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
In the reports that break down reliability to individual models, you'll see that the "Justa" generally comes out with average reliability--and sometimes a bit better than average. That says to me that the problems are related more to the S-specific parts, like the turbo and the direct fuel injection.

So the basic motor seems to be OK on its own, but once the turbo and all of the stuff that was used to support the turbo installation (DFI, aux cooling pump, etc.) was added, things didn't look so good for it.

Or at least, that's my interpretation of the data. I may be a bit biased, though, as one reason I bought a Justa was because I thought it would be more reliable than the S.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
In the reports that break down reliability to individual models, you'll see that the "Justa" generally comes out with average reliability--and sometimes a bit better than average. That says to me that the problems are related more to the S-specific parts, like the turbo and the direct fuel injection.

So the basic motor seems to be OK on its own, but once the turbo and all of the stuff that was used to support the turbo installation (DFI, aux cooling pump, etc.) was added, things didn't look so good for it.

Or at least, that's my interpretation of the data. I may be a bit biased, though, as one reason I bought a Justa was because I thought it would be more reliable than the S.
Good info. Does it say whether it measures number of problems per car or severity of problems per car? There's a big difference between a burnt valve and a faulty ignition coil.

As an aside, we just had to replace a Justa R56 motor. They are WAY more expensive from MINI than the S motors. S motors from MINI are quite cheap--apparently because so many had to be replaced under warranty.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by flav
Imagine if these cars has Toyota partnered engines in them!
Funny you mentioned it...

Old 01-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleedsblue
I just made a thread about this!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM
CornerCarver
1st Gear
The lack of engine reliability is one of the reasons why I have thought about purchasing a FRS/BRZ when the warranty period ends.

It is something I should have looked at prior to purchasing as I would have passed on my Mini and looked for one with less milage.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave

Components built in France assembled in England.
Peugeot, and Citroen cars both use the exact same engine.

Ironically, they are dropping that motor too!!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:31 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
It is one thing to have design flaws like the timing chain tensioner issues. It is another to have carbon buildup and oil leaks (turbo oil line, oil filter housing). As an enthusiast/car guy, doing maintenance does not bother me.

For the average Joe, they would not know that they needed to get carbon cleaned every 25-40k miles. Similarly, the normal consumer would not recognize a rattle at startup and get it fixed. And why wouldn't they trust the car that says 15k between oil changes? Let alone that you can't casually check the oil.

IMO, these cars are fine once you learn about the issues and dedicate time and effort to keep it running. If you are unable to spend time & MONEY with maintenance, the MINI might not be right for you.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 AM
nekky
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
It is one thing to have design flaws like the timing chain tensioner issues. It is another to have carbon buildup and oil leaks (turbo oil line, oil filter housing). As an enthusiast/car guy, doing maintenance does not bother me.

For the average Joe, they would not know that they needed to get carbon cleaned every 25-40k miles. Similarly, the normal consumer would not recognize a rattle at startup and get it fixed. And why wouldn't they trust the car that says 15k between oil changes? Let alone that you can't casually check the oil.

IMO, these cars are fine once you learn about the issues and dedicate time and effort to keep it running. If you are unable to spend time & MONEY with maintenance, the MINI might not be right for you.

Have fun,
Mike
Correct. If one is unwilling to dedicate some time and money to making sure their mini is well maintained, don't buy one.

The F56 may be better! I don't see how it couldn't be... Although I have to admit I like to look of my R56 JCW much better...

Old 01-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Carbon buildup is a direct injection problem, not just a N14 engine problem.

VWs/Audis have had issues with DI and carbon buildup for years. Just accept it's a regular maintenance item and move on. Luckily, people have stepped up to the plate and added carbon cleaning services to their roster (Thanks, Helix!).

The timing chain/turbo oil feed line issues though... those are unacceptable. The extended oil change intervals BMW/Mini spec'd for these cars was also a huge blunder, as all of the Prince engines are hard on oil (even the N12/N16 in the Justa) and a 10-15k OCI is too long. I change mine at 5k, no questions asked - it's cheap insurance.

As others have stated time and time again, these cars are generally good as long as you take some time to do some preventative maintenance.

The following users liked this post:
aylk (04-23-2021)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Good info. Does it say whether it measures number of problems per car or severity of problems per car? There's a big difference between a burnt valve and a faulty ignition coil.
I haven't seen any indications of the severity of problems.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading somewhere the the engine was also co-developed by Chrysler.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by the matey
I remember reading somewhere the the engine was also co-developed by Chrysler.
That would be the engine in the R50/R53.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Froz3n
Neutral
Seeing that the Mini community is blaming the French...

Is the French blaming the British/germans for their woes?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Froz3n
Seeing that the Mini community is blaming the French... Is the French blaming the British/germans for their woes?
Probably. I have two words for them though.

Maginot Line

Old 01-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by flav
MINI seems to be constantly down in the lower ranks for reliability. All cars have issues of course but it seems these cars has a particular trouble spot, the French Peugeot engine. Would it be safe to assume besides this engine the MINI would score as good if not better than its rival brands in terms of overall reliability? If that answer is a yes, its a shame they partnered with a company not known for engine reliability. Imagine if these cars has Toyota partnered engines in them!
I'll take a car I can enjoy for 50K miles over one that I'd hate for 100K.

Toyota has never made a thrilling FWD car.

Quick Reply: R56 MINI reliability culprit, the French Peugeot engine?