R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Titanium Xenon Retro-Fit. No High Beams.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:18 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Titanium Xenon Retro-Fit. No High Beams.

Hi guys,
I've been reading numerous posts, but none talk about Mfg Part# 63102347698 (Titanium Retro Fit) and its possible issues after installation and coding.
Long story short, I bought my set for about $850 plus $125 for installation and coding at the dealer, but I now have an issue with it, the freaking high beams do not work...at all. When I press the lever away from me, locking the highs into position, I do not see any change in the beams, they remain the same. When I pull the lever towards me, to flash, I get the same light pattern/intensity as the low beams, so I have no high beams.

The dealer did run into the strobe light issue at first, but after coding the effect was gone. The tech claims to have checked the high beams, but I seriously doubt he was paying much attention to whether the lights changed intensity or not.

Does anybody here know if this kit is supposed to be low beam only? I'm taking the car back on Saturday (free of charge of course), but I want to make sure the kit is actually supposed to have low/high beams. Thank you all for your time and help, I've learned a great deal from reading all of your input on other Mini related subjects. Thanks again.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I know exactly what happened.

There are TWO software programs in the BMW system for "retrofit" xenons. They loaded the program for the 35w factory units.

They have to go back, wire up the car and put the correct one in.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I know exactly what happened.

There are TWO software programs in the BMW system for "retrofit" xenons. They loaded the program for the 35w factory units.

They have to go back, wire up the car and put the correct one in.

That makes sense I guess. I'll ask the service advisor to make sure the tech knows about this.

It was quite a day at the dealer today...I was there for 6 hrs...I asked them to change the steering wheel controls, since they were fading and are still under warranty and here's what happened...the tech "claimed" that he found "broken connections" when he removed the steering wheel face, though everything was working perfectly fine before, so I'm not sure what these connections' purpose is lol...so they had to install a brand new one....later I'm driving home, and noticed that the Mini logo is slightly tilted to the right LMAO!! the freaking wheel was not aligned when installed!!....but I digress, I will let them know about the 25w software version.
By the way, these lights are amazing! even at 25watts, they beat my halogen by a thousand miles.
Thank you GRAY for the response. I do have another question...will this affect/damage the 25w lights? I have to drive early in the morning to and late at night from work...so I need to use my lights and I wonder if having 25w lights programmed as 35w, could possibly damage them.

Last edited by freakonforfatty; 01-19-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:31 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Sounds like a new tech. These cars like most German cars don't require the least amount of force in removing installing parts. If a tech is not used to taking a Mini apart, parts get broken. Insist on getting the old part back or tell them to bill it to shop. No reason I can think of by passing that cost onto the customer! Irresponsible.

The splines for the steering wheel are marked in blue paint so going back on correctly shouldn't be an issue. And one doesn't need to take the wheel off to replace the pod controls anyways ?! Just the air bag....
Make a request that the tech "receiving on the job training" do it on someone else's Mini....not fair for you to pay his tuition...

GL !

Old 01-20-2015, 05:36 AM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Sounds like a new tech. These cars like most German cars don't require the least amount of force in removing installing parts. If a tech is not used to taking a Mini apart, parts get broken. Insist on getting the old part back or tell them to bill it to shop. No reason I can think of by passing that cost onto the customer! Irresponsible.

The splines for the steering wheel are marked in blue paint so going back on correctly shouldn't be an issue. And one doesn't need to take the wheel off to replace the pod controls anyways ?! Just the air bag....
Make a request that the tech "receiving on the job training" do it on someone else's Mini....not fair for you to pay his tuition...

GL !
They ended up billing it to the shop. Even gave me a rental.
Now, this morning (still dark) started the car and noticed the light barely stretches 6-8 feet and don't look even at all, so the tech didn't even bother to level the freaking lights! At this point, I'm not sure if they can even do it during daylight, but then again, I'm no expert.
I know the kit comes with leveling screws, so let me ask you, how hard is it to level them? Thanks again.

Last edited by freakonforfatty; 01-20-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1 on gray raven and the wrong code.

The leveling 25w Xenon Retrofit R56+ headlighst Here:

Once they are installed there is a manual leveling. Its easier to do it on a flat level surface pointing towards a building of garage.

Leveling manual adjustment 25w Xenon kit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fit-kit-6.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't updated you on the issue...but here's the latest...
So I took the car this Saturday, I've told them to keep it over the weekend and to take their time with it...
I mentioned the 25/35 watt code matter, but all they said was they'd look into it....here's an interesting comment the advisor made, he said the tech (the one who screwed up the steering wheel and high beams) told him the titanium xenon kit doesn't have high beams, that it only has low, 'cause it has only one filter?? I'm not even sure what he's talking about at this point. Do you know anybody here who has this kit and whether that's true or not? And if it is, the parts department is beyond incompetent.
I'm starting to worry, this dealer doesn't seem to know a thing about the parts they're selling to their customers.

Some advice (in case of anything at this point) will be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to feel like a fool here, paying that much money to have my car made a mess of. Thanks guys.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Your MINI will be alright. It just sounds like they lack some experience and knowledge on these parts.

If stumped on a question, it's always better for advisor's to say "Sorry, I am not sure but will ask and get back to you". Rather than to just try to answer a question off the cuff....while it may have taken the question off the table no one gains by giving an incorrect answer....

In many of these type of headlight systems they have one bulb and mechanical shield in front of the xenon bulb. When the high beams are activated the shield raises up providing the full illumination of the bulb thru the projector lens = high beams. Could be that is what he was trying to explain.

With respect to the level of the beam. No biggie, very easy to do even during the daytime inside the shop. Just point the car at wall, adjust as needed.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Thanks Gray.
I'm sure the car will turn out ok. I'm simply worried that their "lack of experience" will probably be the reason my headlights won't work as they should.

Also, I forgot to mention the tech told the advisor the reason for the low beams only, was due to the headlights being so bright....even sounds like a half a$# excuse now that I think about it.

BTW in case you were wondering, these headlights are Bi-Xenon....at least that's what was written right below the bulb's glass, on the grayish/semi-chrome tab/lip that sits below the bulb.

Last edited by freakonforfatty; 01-25-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Yep, sounds like a green tech and a new service advisor trying to operate 'off the cuff' instead of going to someone more experienced for advice.

Those headlights have high beams.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:04 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
Yep, sounds like a green tech and a new service advisor trying to operate 'off the cuff' instead of going to someone more experienced for advice.

Those headlights have high beams.

That seems to be the case, the more I think about it, and the more I get feedback from you guys.
I wonder if there's someone at BMW I could call so they can school these techs at the dealer....as I said before, I'm afraid their lack of experience will keep them from programming the car so the headlights work properly.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure how much the dealer is willing to try to make this work.
I won't know the outcome until tomorrow, but I'd like to be prepared or at least better my chances. Thank you all.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Call Mini USA.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by freakonforfatty
Also, I forgot to mention the tech told the advisor the reason for the low beams only, was due to the headlights being so bright....even sounds like a half a$# excuse now that I think about it.

BTW in case you were wondering, these headlights are Bi-Xenon....at least that's what was written right below the bulb's glass, on the grayish/semi-chrome tab/lip that sits below the bulb.
I believe that just means that both high and low beam are xenon. Should just be one bulb with the articulating shield which raises up ( High/low )

Sorry to hear this has been such a mess. As suggested above, one could call MINIUSA. You could also make some headway with their Service Manager too. In that conversation just mention that it was one MINI owner's suggestion you call the headquarters in N.J. Then if after that conversation with the manager, if satisfied at that point then carry on with the repairs.

To some degree, by allowing the service manager to handle it locally, it could help to solidify your relationship with him/her and their dealership for future visits.

GL!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
I'd also recommend perusing this thread for more info: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rofit-kit.html

Old 01-26-2015, 01:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, they just need the info. Some dealers were not informed when these first came out a little bit ago. Then they got the info from MINI corp. and were ok on programming.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
So...what I was afraid of, has happened....they're sticking to their story of the single filter and no high beams. I've spoken to Mini USA and they basically told me they have no technical training and rely on the dealership's technical knowledge for any type of installation....

I'm about to call their manager and see what happens....I'm not sure if I should be pissed, disappointed or what. I'm just lost.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freakonforfatty
So...what I was afraid of, has happened....they're sticking to their story of the single filter and no high beams. I've spoken to Mini USA and they basically told me they have no technical training and rely on the dealership's technical knowledge for any type of installation.... I'm about to call their manager and see what happens....I'm not sure if I should be pissed, disappointed or what. I'm just lost.
Relax, take a deep breath. Go talk to the manager, preferably in person and talk calmly. If your getting nowhere, remember to mention the bad press you will spread to the MINI community about their lack of knowledge. Mention going above their heads to corporate if they refuse to go any further with the repairs.

No dealer wants a corporate complaint. No dealer can afford a bad service review (use this as leverage, seriously), and no dealer can afford the bad publicity within a niche brand that is MINI.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
They're having yet another tech look at it....will be getting a call by the end of the day....

Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
So I just got the final call. No high beams. According to the third tech (and most experienced according to the dealer), this kit lacks the shutter that this kit (Mfg Part#63127270027) has, which of course requires the purchase of a control unit, light bulb and washer cover (adding to about 2k). They claim the kit in question is so bright, there's no need for high beams, but again, and according to them, it is mostly due to the lack of a shutter that makes the lights switch from low to high.
At this point, I'm open to suggestions. It is obvious that they won't do anything else and I seriously doubt speaking to their manager will make a difference. The lack of knowledge from them, plus the response from MINI USA say it all...They're not willing to work on it and corporate believes in whatever the dealer has to say. I just wish I could see some picks or get testimony from somebody who has this kit. I have seen some pictures posted on the thread from the link above, but they don't specify high/low.

Last edited by freakonforfatty; 01-26-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Wow, it does state Xenon. NOT BI-XENON.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Wow, it does state Xenon. NOT BI-XENON.
That's what I've wondered from day one. But on other threads people do mention high beams and so when I first had these installed and noticed no high beams, well, I started to question the installation.
Still, this is something the parts department at the dealer should make EXTREMELY clear to customers...and one more thing, why does the kit say Bi-Xenon right in the housing?? to be cool I'm guessing.... lol

Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
There are posts stating the high beams don't work, others say it does??

Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Old 01-26-2015, 06:59 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Here's another fun fact:

The auto-levelling on the OEM Bi-Xenon is done as a dynamic shutter adjustment!!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Thank you, I appreciate the help. Let's see if we can get some pictures.
And to answer your question, yes, some have stated "high beams" Here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fit-kit-6.html on page 7, post 126. I also found others, but can't post every single one here.

Quick Reply: R56 Titanium Xenon Retro-Fit. No High Beams.