R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Titanium Xenon Retro-Fit. No High Beams.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:22 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by freakonforfatty
Thought so. Thanks.
Now, the question is....once the other dealer gets it to work, should I go back to the first dealer and show them? I mean, at one point, their reasoning for the highs not working was "these lights are so bright, they don't need high beams", then changed to "this kit doesn't have the flap". BTW, by "show them", I don't mean give them a hard time, simply let them know this kit has the flap, etc.
Just flash the high beams as you pull into the service drive, then ask for a refund!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Just flash the high beams as you pull into the service drive, then ask for a refund!!!
LOL today was a long day at work...I needed that.

Last edited by freakonforfatty; 02-02-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
So took the car in today to my regular dealer in Santa Clara and........ I HAVE HIGH BEAMS!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! sorry for the caps, but I'm very happy right now. The retro kit is now working properly.
I spoke to both the service manager and shop's foreman, and from the minute I started to talk to both of them, I knew my car was in good hands. The foreman knows his stuff and was extremely confident, all and all, an awesome guy. And the service manager, who was very helpful and understood my situation, gives that entire place a great name. Overall, a GREAT experience. In less than 5 hours, they had fixed the issue, washed my car and sent me on my way home Oh, and did I mention the service manager even arranged for me to have a loaner? Yeah, that's how great he was.

I want to THANK YOU ALL for the input, the time you took to read and help me. This is a great community. Thank you all, truly.

Last edited by freakonforfatty; 02-02-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
So took the car in today to my regular dealer in Santa Clara and........ I HAVE HIGH BEAMS!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! sorry for the caps, but I'm very happy right now. The retro kit is now working properly.
I spoke to both the service manager and shop's foreman, and from the minute I started to talk to both of them, I knew my car was in good hands. The foreman knows his stuff and was extremely confident, all and all, an awesome guy. And the service manager, who was very helpful and understood my situation, gives that entire place a great name. Overall, a GREAT experience. In less than 5 hours, they had fixed the issue, washed my car and sent me on my way home Oh, and did I mention the service manager even arranged for me to have a loaner? Yeah, that's how great he was.

I want to THANK YOU ALL for the input, the time you took to read and help me. This is a great community. Thank you all, truly.

Glad to see everything was finally resolved!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Awesome, glad we were able to help and I was able to show you what the Xenon 25w retrofit looks like and functions.

Xenon Headlight Titanium Gray 25 W - Set 63102347698 KT

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63102347698KT/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM
freakonforfatty
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Awesome, glad we were able to help and I was able to show you what the Xenon 25w retrofit looks like and functions.

Xenon Headlight Titanium Gray 25 W - Set 63102347698 KT

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63102347698KT/

I'm loving these headlights, so much brighter and easier on the eyes than regular halogen...I just need to adjust them a bit, they seem a bit patchy for my taste, so I'll google some instructions. Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
You are welcome.

Here is the adjustment link for the 25w xenon kit:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fit-kit-6.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-25-2023, 07:52 AM
mrcardboard249
Neutral
No High Beams

Maybe I have overlooked the answer I am looking for, so I apologize if I am making you repeat the information.

I have a 2013 MCS factory halogen. I bought the retrofit 25W kit. Drove around without headlights for a month (second car) finally got around to doing the coding after some research, but I guess I missed a step or did something wrong in the coding process. I got rid of the flickering and flashing so my low beams run perfectly fine, but I have no high beam. I bought the kit directly from ECS so I am hoping I didn't get a defective product and I just made an error in coding. I haven't necessarily needed the high beam just would like to have it for a just in case moment. nearest MINI dealer to me is 2.5 hours hence why I elected to do the coding myself.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in a direction to look!

Old 09-25-2023, 08:06 AM
Gubi
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds like you turned off the bulb check but didn't actually code for xenon headlights. Here's the instructions I used to get high beams working and no flicker:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4588923

Old 09-25-2023, 09:24 AM
mrcardboard249
Neutral
Originally Posted by Gubi
Sounds like you turned off the bulb check but didn't actually code for xenon headlights. Here's the instructions I used to get high beams working and no flicker:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4588923

I could see how that is possible but I had the flickering and they would eventually just turn off and not work at all. I was coding with NCS expert so I will try to cross examine the 2 and see where maybe I went wrong.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:39 AM
Gubi
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm sure they're fine physically, you just missed something in the coding.

In my case I installed them myself but took them to my local indy who swore up and down they knew how to code them. When I got the car back the headlights worked fine on low (no flickering or warnings) but the high beams didn't work at all and they couldn't figure it out. I ended up doing what I should've done in the first place and got NCS Expert working and fixed it. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did, lol. I know I got it working with NCS Expert, but then got BimmerGeeks ProTool later and changed a few other things (listed on that other page) that I'd missed, not sure if they made a difference.

If you already have the cable my honest advice is to just ditch NCS Expert and pay for ProTool. It does the same stuff but it's just so much easier to use: just follow the instructions on the page I linked to. But if you want to stick with NCS Expert I'm sure you can do the same stuff, you just need to figure out the right codings. Like the VO, I think you need to add the X25W coding? I dunno, it's been a while, but if you're clever enough to get NCS Expert working you'll figure it out.

The following users liked this post:
mrcardboard249 (09-26-2023)