R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Reading the oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by beedeejay
Oil level should be between the two metal ferrels - preferably near the top one. The cone shaped ferrel on the bottom is not what I’m talking about.

Put out the dipstick and wipe it clean.
Wait - let any oil in the dipstick tube drain out - maybe even have a cup of coffee. Or maybe clean all the windows.
While you are waiting go get a clean paper towel. White is fine - brown is better.
Lay the paper towel on a flat surface.
Insert the dipstick and pull it back out.
Lay the dipstick on the paper towel.
The oil on the dipstick will bleed across onto the paper towel - showing you the oil level.

Perfect description of how to check the oil. Easy & free, no Craven dipstick needed.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Aikmanson
I know the craven speed dip stick may seem pricey for just a dip stick, but trust me, its worth its weight in gold. If you plan on keeping your MINI, just bite the bullet and buy one, you won't regret it.
^^^^!

The Craven Speed dip stick basically ends where you would grind off the tip on the OEM dip stick. I wouldn't take it to the dealer with the tip ground off.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 AM
otbiker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its gonna hurt, but buy the Cravenspeed dipstick. You can always sell it on the forum when your sell the car...

Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Convincor
Just talked to a mechanic friend he said it's ok to add synthetic to standard but not to add standard to synthetic.
Did he elaborate on why? Sounds like a false statement to me.

I'm in the "some oil is better than no oil" camp.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Not really but basically he is saying if you are not sure add synthetic.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
The most important thing to understand when using an OEM Mini dipstick is that the bottom bulb, if re-inserted into the oil pan will draw oil up into the tube when withdrawn.
The trick is after first removing the dipstick, re-insert it into the tube but not far enough to get oil on the bottom bulb.
You do this several times, cleaning the oil off each time, until the tube is clean of excessive oil.
After cleaning the tube of excess oil you can then re-insert the dipstick fully into the oil pan, withdraw it and read the level.
If you keep the OEM dipstick, the best thing you can do is remove that bottom bulb so it will not draw oil up into the tube in the first place.
Couldn't you just check the oil level in the morning after it has sat over night?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Not really but basically he is saying if you are not sure add synthetic.
Tell that to my old (sold) BMW 98 540i, that received a synthetic oil fill from an inattentive shop and wound up with a bunch of leaking seals/gaskets.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
swapped to a craven, no problems reading it anymore here

Old 12-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Couldn't you just check the oil level in the morning after it has sat over night?
The bottom bulb is still submerged in oil when cold, oil is thickest when cold.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
What I normally do is pop the hood at night (usually friday or Saturday), pull out the dipstick, wipe it, and leave it out. Having the hood open reminds me not to forget what needs to be done. In the morning, I put the dipstick in and the first reading will be accurate (no oil in tube, no oil pulled up by the bottom bulb).
On my car, I add 1/2 quart when the level is at the bottom bulb. I check every weekend, and have enough history with the car to be confident that I will not run low on oil with this plan.

Mike

Old 12-17-2014, 03:36 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
What I normally do is pop the hood at night (usually friday or Saturday), pull out the dipstick, wipe it, and leave it out. Having the hood open reminds me not to forget what needs to be done. In the morning, I put the dipstick in and the first reading will be accurate (no oil in tube, no oil pulled up by the bottom bulb).
On my car, I add 1/2 quart when the level is at the bottom bulb. I check every weekend, and have enough history with the car to be confident that I will not run low on oil with this plan.

Mike

Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM
JR2012IBB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz

Mike
Exactly the same as what I do. Of course having a garage is a huge help with this process.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
May I add

Even with the Craven stick. This is an excellent method.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Good thing these cars are so fun to drive with all the hassle they are. Dip stick hard to read, use oil, water pumps, thermostat housing,brake sensors, ect.
If I had never driven one and knew what I now know, after a month of owning the car, I probably wouldn't of bought it.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:44 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Thank you for this thread . . . I've never seen an oil dip stick this hard to read.
It begs the question, are the MINI techs as frustrated with it or do they just know something we don't as to why it was designed this way?...

Anyway I much prefer trying the few suggestion offered here first then rushing to get a new dip stick just yet.

Thanks for the tips! I like the overnight suggestion.

We've had our MCS for a little over a year now, with just 13,000miles on it, and I have not noticed any oil consumption. But with all the concerns on this forum I want to stay on top of it. Which means I'd like to be able to read properly the oil level dam it . . .

Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
There's no dipstick on the new F56. People on that forum gripe about that too lol.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:08 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
There's no dipstick on the new F56. People on that forum gripe about that too lol.
I realize that the new F56's are so new that a data base on oil consumption has not been established for them yet but, given the past history of Mini Cooper oil consumption and the relation of that to serious engine problems, I for one would not like the idea of not being able to physically check my oil levels (no matter how difficult).

Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
I realize that the new F56's are so new that a data base on oil consumption has not been established for them yet but, given the past history of Mini Cooper oil consumption and the relation of that to serious engine problems, I for one would not like the idea of not being able to physically check my oil levels (no matter how difficult).
Yeah a lot of people feel the same way. You can see how much oil is in there from the new app/screen. And I think it will warn you if you are low on oil (the R56 does not which is weird). Evidently BMW cars have not had a dipstick for several years. BTW my 2007 R56 didn't burn any oil until around 50k miles.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The OEM dipstick works just fine. Check your oil cold, I mean sitting all night cold, with the car on a level surface. Pull the dipstick out and check the level, do not reinsert the dip stick, that will drag oil up the dip stick tube and ruin your reading. The oil level will be obvious.

Dave

Old 12-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Yeah a lot of people feel the same way. You can see how much oil is in there from the new app/screen. And I think it will warn you if you are low on oil (the R56 does not which is weird). Evidently BMW cars have not had a dipstick for several years. BTW my 2007 R56 didn't burn any oil until around 50k miles.
Your results make me scratch my head, my 07 MCS has burned oil as far back as when I first bought it at 45k. One thing is certain it is not getting past my rings because there's a really nice tight seal, only leaves two other places, valve seals and a poorly designed PCV system. This is my first car that hasn't had a flat blade type dip stick with the markings on either end, you could clearly see where it was wet with oil.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:18 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
TheBigNewt,

On my 2008 MINI Cooper S, a car which I bought new, I first noticed the oil consumption problem at around 45,000 miles.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:02 AM
thereisnosubstitute
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And no dipstick on my '10 C4S but I prefer the electronic solution to the brainteaser on the '12 MCS!

What was Mini thinking?!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM
otbiker
2nd Gear
FWIW... we sold the R56 today and I have a Cravenspeed dipstick listed in the 2nd ten
FOR SALE section.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Bonestock
Neutral
Hey guys I had a question about the Cravenspeed dipstick. Mine just arrived and to be honest I was a bit surprised, every dipstick in every car I have ever owned has been a stiff metal stick but this one is like a limp noodle. Can someone reassure me that this is indeed correct and will work correctly without fault.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonestock
Hey guys I had a question about the Cravenspeed dipstick. Mine just arrived and to be honest I was a bit surprised, every dipstick in every car I have ever owned has been a stiff metal stick but this one is like a limp noodle. Can someone reassure me that this is indeed correct and will work correctly without fault.
Yes it's supposed to be like that and will work exceptionally well.

Quick Reply: R56 Reading the oil dipstick