R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Reading the oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:39 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OEM dipstick works well, provided your car doesn't have an oil consumption problem.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
The OEM dipstick works well, provided your car doesn't have an oil consumption problem.
This is where I'm coming from, sure the Craven dipstick isn't needed for those with no oil consumption, however if you check you oil often (twice a week) then getting one doesn't seem like much of a deal. I check my oil a lot and I think that's why some don't understand why we pay so much for an upgraded dipstick. My MCS drinks oil.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 AM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
oil

Since I have had head redone I check oil daily.
But if I remove dipstick first in the morning, just pull it out & see 3 sides are 3/4 & one side is 1/4?
So which do I believe?

Old 01-03-2015, 06:03 AM
JR2012IBB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seaswood
But if I remove dipstick first in the morning, just pull it out & see 3 sides are 3/4 & one side is 1/4?
So which do I believe?
If you can leave the dipstick out completely overnight and then insert and remove just once in the AM. That should give you a consistent reading. Worth a shot at least once to see if that method works for you. It works perfectly well for me.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Seaswood
So which do I believe?
It very well sounds like you pulled extra oil up into the dipstick tube and having it splash part of the reading area which is why you get a false reading. I never want to be in a position to have to guess if the oil is at 1/4 or 3/4 full, it is for this reason people buy an aftermarket dipstick because the OEM has been known for false readings! That's why I don't understand why people say there's nothing wrong with the OEM dipstick and that's it my prescription eye glasses.

It's a Mini enough said.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:27 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
It very well sounds like you pulled extra oil up into the dipstick tube and having it splash part of the reading area which is why you get a false reading. I never want to be in a position to have to guess if the oil is at 1/4 or 3/4 full, it is for this reason people buy an aftermarket dipstick because the OEM has been known for false readings! That's why I don't understand why people say there's nothing wrong with the OEM dipstick and that's it my prescription eye glasses.

It's a Mini enough said.
To get a correct reading it is imperative that you get all excess oils out of the tube before taking the final reading and to achieve this, even if it's sat all night, is to re-insert the dipstick without going far enough to get oil from the oil pan on it and clean it of excess oil. You will have to repeat this process several times before the tube is cleansed of oil enough to get a clean reading

Old 01-03-2015, 05:50 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Systemlord, I'm with you...the Cravenspeed dipstick works perfectly anywhere anytime and worth the $75 I paid for it. And I've purchased one for each of the 3 MINI's in my stable.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd never expect anyone who spent $75 to replace a perfectly good dipstick to say anything else. $225 now that's some dipsticks.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What if we all chipped in and sent you $75 to buy a dipstick, would that get you to move on from your stick envy?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
What if we all chipped in and sent you $75 to buy a dipstick, would that get you to move on from your stick envy?
$how me the money. No I won't waste it on replacing my dipstick.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
To get a correct reading it is imperative that you get all excess oils out of the tube before taking the final reading and to achieve this, even if it's sat all night, is to re-insert the dipstick without going far enough to get oil from the oil pan on it and clean it of excess oil. You will have to repeat this process several times before the tube is cleansed of oil enough to get a clean reading
I repeated this process several times () with the OEM dipstick and I was able to read it perfectly, problem is I wanted a dipstick that performed just like every other car or truck I have owned in the last 25 years so I purchased the Craven. I'm not going to play around with my dipstick and perform some repeated ritual several times, I have better things to do with my time than play around with my dipstick.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have better things to do with my time than play around with my dipstick.

Good one!

Dave

Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Convincor
2nd Gear
Me to but it's in the top five!

Old 01-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Seaswood
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Dip stick

Originally Posted by JR2012IBB
If you can leave the dipstick out completely overnight and then insert and remove just once in the AM. That should give you a consistent reading. Worth a shot at least once to see if that method works for you. It works perfectly well for me.
I tried that seemed to work about half way.
As I added a 1/2 quart 1500 miles before?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe I'll go make a how to video later.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:22 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave

Good one!

Dave

Especially if done in public

Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 AM
TREX
4th Gear
I repeated this process several times () with the OEM dipstick and I was able to read it perfectly, problem is I wanted a dipstick that performed just like every other car or truck I have owned in the last 25 years so I purchased the Craven. I'm not going to play around with my dipstick and perform some repeated ritual several times, I have better things to do with my time than play around with my dipstick.

True, the OEM dipsticks are a pain in the a** to use.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Dipstick fight

Old 04-19-2015, 09:33 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Okay just additional two cents on the subject...

I really wanted to try the technic mentioned before just to see what people were talking about. I recently did it but just following some principles mentioned here without going over board, and truly I was actually amazed how clean of a reading I got. In a way it was even better than any readings I got on any other car. I'll probably do that with any other dipstick from now one.
It did not take any special effort. All it took is a little patience and no sweat, if patience is even applicable here since I did not have to practically wait at all.

I parked the car in the garage. Had dinner etc, just to make sure the car was cooled enough. Nothing different than any other recommended procedure here. I never like to pull the dipstick with a hot engine and maybe next time I'll try it right away.

I went back to the car pulled the dipstick out. Wiped it. I put the dip stick away from dust (here all I did is used a little sandwich bag to cover it, super easy)
I left the car over night in the garage with the hood open as a reminder.
I came back in the morning. Put the dip stick back in then out slowly and bang perfect reading. It literally did not take any time.

I'm not going to say don't buy the Cravenspeed dipstick. I totally understand the sentiment of immediacy, though to me it's overrated when you think about it in this particular context.

I'll just say in the grand scheme of things for an oil level check in most cases it's all "I" really need. And literally all it took of me is for me to remember to do it an evening. The reading was so clean I didn't feel the need to check twice which I've always done with any other car.
Anyway, I understand patience is relative to each individual but for me this works great . . . And for those concerned with filling up oil and checking if they've done it right, at some point one has to realize it is not a dipstick problem but the fact one does not know completely what he's doing. Is it fine to spend extra money to help you out. Of course, everyone's doing it all the time. Many people don't know how to change their brake pads. They'll pay someone to do it. Same thing...

Keep fitting, for me I've closed the subject

Last edited by TG.; 04-19-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used OEM, then the Cravenspeed, and finally ended up doing a variation of the "BlackIce Mod" (<--link) on the OEM dipstick with horizontal slots instead of holes. It has maximized my satisfaction.

For general reference, here is the best all-time historical NAM post on oil dipstick reading:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3639300

---

Old 04-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TG.
Okay just additional two cents on the subject...

I really wanted to try the technic mentioned before just to see what people were talking about. I recently did it but just following some principles mentioned here without going over board, and truly I was actually amazed how clean of a reading I got. In a way it was even better than any readings I got on any other car. I'll probably do that with any other dipstick from now one.
It did not take any special effort. All it took is a little patience and no sweat, if patience is even applicable here since I did not have to practically wait at all.

I parked the car in the garage. Had dinner etc, just to make sure the car was cooled enough. Nothing different than any other recommended procedure here. I never like to pull the dipstick with a hot engine and maybe next time I'll try it right away.

I went back to the car pulled the dipstick out. Wiped it. I put the dip stick away from dust (here all I did is used a little sandwich bag to cover it, super easy)
I left the car over night in the garage with the hood open as a reminder.
I came back in the morning. Put the dip stick back in then out slowly and bang perfect reading. It literally did not take any time.

I'm not going to say don't buy the Cravenspeed dipstick. I totally understand the sentiment of immediacy, though to me it's overrated when you think about it in this particular context.

I'll just say in the grand scheme of things for an oil level check in most cases it's all "I" really need. And literally all it took of me is for me to remember to do it an evening. The reading was so clean I didn't feel the need to check twice which I've always done with any other car.
Anyway, I understand patience is relative to each individual but for me this works great . . . And for those concerned with filling up oil and checking if they've done it right, at some point one has to realize it is not a dipstick problem but the fact one does not know completely what he's doing. Is it fine to spend extra money to help you out. Of course, everyone's doing it all the time. Many people don't know how to change their brake pads. They'll pay someone to do it. Same thing...

Keep fitting, for me I've closed the subject
Good job! Excellent write up...

When I first got my MCS... I was at a lost... in reading the oil level. With the OEM dipstick, read all kinds of threads on how to read it and even upgraded to Cravenspeed that most of folks use. Nice, right? Needless to say IMO the CRVSP is hyped up. I could see exactly what the oil level is and how much oil to add if needed. All it took was for me to check the oil 3 times a week until I developed a ¨trained eye¨ to identify it. Like you said, patience is key.

With the right lighting and angle on how I hold the dipstick up - the oil level is pretty obvious to me now.