R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 XS Power Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:31 AM
alinfante
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XS Power Coilovers

I picked a set of these up for a great price. Originally I thought they were height adjustable only, but they were not. As the pics show, they can also be adjusted for camber and valving.

Install went smooth and I didn't have any problems. Rich from XS Power was helpful and answered all of my questions.

Overall the ride is much improved and I don't have them dialed in yet, but I think these made a great upgrade over my blown units. I would wager they would do ok in autocross as well, but you would probably want a little bit different setup. But for me, who drives street and occasionally tracks their car, I think they will be fine. I would recommend these units to anyone looking to get into the world of coilovers at an affordable price.

Later,
Aaron

Attached Thumbnails XS Power Coilovers-imag0193.jpg  
Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Manny_cooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alinfante
I picked a set of these up for a great price. Originally I thought they were height adjustable only, but they were not. As the pics show, they can also be adjusted for camber and valving.

Install went smooth and I didn't have any problems. Rich from XS Power was helpful and answered all of my questions.

Overall the ride is much improved and I don't have them dialed in yet, but I think these made a great upgrade over my blown units. I would wager they would do ok in autocross as well, but you would probably want a little bit different setup. But for me, who drives street and occasionally tracks their car, I think they will be fine. I would recommend these units to anyone looking to get into the world of coilovers at an affordable price.

Later,
Aaron

Do you have pictures of them on your car?

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2014, 02:15 PM
dfwallace48
2nd Gear
Doh...

Ok, sorry for rookie question here, but, are coil-overs for lowering the body by reducing the distance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well?

Last edited by dfwallace48; 12-22-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:55 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dfwallace48
Ok, sorry for rookie question here, but, are coil-overs for lowering the body so as to reduce the distance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel well?
Yes, but not only.

The tag "coil over" is thrown around here very loosely, as OEM shocks are coil-overs by definition (springs coiled over shock piston). Once you make up your mind to upgrade the suspension (all OEM shocks are dead after ~50K miles, even if you haven't noticed), you have a choice:
1). Replace just the shocks, and put original springs back over new shock bodies.
2). Replace just the springs (for lowering the car, and stiffer ride), and re-use OEM shocks
3). Replace both, and possibly with a set of aftermarket shocks that have a threaded spring perch collar. This further only allows you to adjust ride height with the same set of springs.

On top of the above, some higher end shocks have adjustable valving, so that you can somewhat modulate the stiffness of the ride.

For all practical purposes, people refer to option #3 as "coil-over" upgrade.

a

Old 12-22-2014, 05:36 PM
dfwallace48
2nd Gear
Thanks for that info.