R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Balancing beads. Anyone tried them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Balancing beads. Anyone tried them?

Looking at getting some new rims for my 2011 MCS. Gunmetal grey. Not looking forward to seeing a bunch of silver lead stick-on weights poking out between the 7 spokes. Has anyone tried balancing beads in a Mini? This is an "active" method of balancing, where a certain amount of small, round ceramic beads (based upon tire weight) are placed inside the tire, and are allowed to float freely inside, achieving balance by floating to the light points as the wheel/tire assembly rotates while driving, thereby achieving balance. The whole process allows for constant, automatic adjustment of balance as the tires wear. I know they have been used on BIG trucks, but I am wondering if this method works for smaller wheels/tires. I saw somewhere that this method should not be used on vehicles weighing less than 3,000 lbs., but can also be used on motorcycle tires. Figure that one out! So, anybody have any experience?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got me curious so after a quick Google I came up with this.

Click on "Why don't you have tire charts for cars...."

We don't market to cars, SUV's or minivans due to the overall style of those tires, which usually have a low aspect ratio. We classify tires with a low aspect ratio "low-profile". Low profile tires often need lateral balance correction that can only be rectified with the use of standard wheel weights applied to both the inside and outside rim.
So that means that while Dyna Beads should not be used as the sole balancing method for these tire types, you can use Dyna Beads as a "Maintenance Amount". Using a combination of weights and Dyna Beads results in higher tire mileage and a reduction, or elimination, of future rebalancing requirements.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
I also notice that the balancing beads require a certain valve stem, with some kind of "filter"? I can only assume that this filter will keep the beads from flying out if you check your tire pressure, and would NOT fit into my TP sensors. And, I wonder how these beads may affect the tire pressure sensors. Since they would use centrifugal force to be forced towards the tire's tread during rotation, I don't think that any damage would occur to pressure sensors. Just a crazy idea of mine, I guess! BUT, how COOL would it be to never have to use wheel weights again, and have constant balancing taking place as you drive! Maybe I will become a Ginea Pig for this one.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:20 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Maybe I will balance with stick-ons, and use the beads for maintenance items. I will, of course, have to paint my stick-ons in order to try to hide them. Or maybe just try the beads for a bit, and see what happens. I often drive over 100 mph, so the results should come in quickly. If things don't "feel" right, I should know pretty quickly.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 AM
ROCNYMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like with every acceleration from a stop, these have to reconfigure to the balanced state. In other words, you have bouncing until the beads migrate to the final position?? Also, the manufacturers verbiage on larger pickup trucks leads me to believe this system doesn't work well with tightly sprung vehicles. The wheel needs to vibrate (not just rotate) to make the beads move.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by renchjeep
Maybe I will balance with stick-ons, and use the beads for maintenance items. I will, of course, have to paint my stick-ons in order to try to hide them. Or maybe just try the beads for a bit, and see what happens. I often drive over 100 mph, so the results should come in quickly. If things don't "feel" right, I should know pretty quickly.

I should dig up the pictures of a tire I had that had a valve stem replaced, and the rubber bottom of the stem stayed rolling around in the tire.... the inside damage was pretty interesting after 50k miles below 70mph (vw bus)..... there was a measurable pile of rubber dust, and very visible damage to the inside of the tire....

While I might do it in my mud truck that sees occasional street use, or my lifted street truck with oversized lugs where the tires won't last anyway... I'm not sure I'd want to be running 100+mph on tires with the insides being worn away.....

of course, I have a lift and a balancer - so the 20 minutes it takes to check the balance on occasion is pretty minor...

Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Well, my idea has been roundly shot down. Good! These are the kind of results I am looking for here! I will balance my new wheels in the standard stick-on way, and paint the weights to match. Thanks for all of the input and opinions. Very much appreciated.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Lt. Dan
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have run Balancing Beads in the tires of several of my jeeps... They are mainly for the larger tires, and to be honest, the noise when you're driving around parking lots is pretty annoying.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:10 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since mini's have low profile tires....and the beads will be rubbing on the rim and the upper sidewalls along the bead at lower rpms...the reason why they are not recommended in low profile car tires....
If you had a older car with a 75, 80 or even a 90 series tire, you would be fine...
But in a mini with a 55 series tires or lower...I simply would not do it...
The seller of the beads , I AM SURE MUST HAVE TESTED IT....they want the largest market possible...and if they say DO NOT DO IT...don't!!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 AM
SC R60
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rench,
If you buy tires and wheels at the same place, tell them you don't want more than X amount of weight segments. They can try and phase the tire or mount a different one