R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 K&N air intake R56S

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Jeb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N air intake R56S

This is my first post so be kind:
I have a R56S 2011, out of warranty. I would like to put a K&N cold air intake on this car. Is it worth it? I have heard stories of problems with the computer?
Thank you

Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how it could cause CEL's unless you screw with the MAF sensor. I haven't had any issues with my AEM intake after 12,000 miles.

Is it worth it? That depends on what you want out of it. If you're expecting big HP gains, don't bother. Use the money on a JB+ instead. If you want a more aggressive sound and be able to really hear the blow-off from the turbo, this is the mod you want.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Personally we sell the K&N kits but it's way over priced and not worth it. If you want an intake check out the DDM street intake we sell. You can get it with a K&N filter, but we offer it with a dry filter to keep oil out of the sensors that is what usually causes the check engine light.

Otherwise if your looking for power the JB module is a great value.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<<<@!1!@>>>

+1 on the motivation and expectations.

You will be trading in noise and (maybe) less restrictive air ingestion for hotter engine air suction (OEM intake is plumbed all the way to the nose of the car for clean cold air).

25+K miles on my K&N coin filter (VIP intake), re-oiled twice, no lights, no noticeable performance gain. Nice sound:

a

Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Does cold air really matter that much with forced induction? The air going into the engine will be pre-heated by the turbo, correct? Unless you install a bigger intercooler, still the same hot air. I want to hear more turbo sound and more blow-off. Just so it "feels" like I am going faster. A bonus would be to actually gain both some power and some sound. This DDM kit sound like a good addition after my future JB+ install. Playing the lotto right now. Saving up, just in case that doesn't work out.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cold air really does make a difference. The stock airbox is bringing cooler air in from up by the grill and your going to be giving that up. If you really want a cone filter, I would go with the factory filter from the JCW Tuning kit. It is a cone filter that will give you a little more intake noise and still retain the factory cool air ducting. All that is changed is the top of the airbox and filter.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
If you're looking for the sound and don't want to sacrifice the fresh air, I HIGHLY recommend the AEM intake. As for the grille in the scoop you have several options...

1. Open up the existing grille like I did.
2. Remove the grille all together.
3. Buy a pre-built grille insert.

The AEM intake is a bit pricey, but is very well built and does an excellent job of getting the outside air to the filter. Also, it directs the turbo noise straight out of the car through the scoop. ;D

It seems as thought the cost of the AEM intake has gone up a bit since I bought mine in February for $333.96... If you buy it from the same site that I did, and apply the discount code "se78261" it will drop the price to $370.13 (with free shipping). This is the cheapest I can find for this intake which now goes for $400 everywhere else.

AEM 21-721C - http://www.ultrarev.com/21-721c.html

Metal Grille insert - http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-fi...oop-grill.html

Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 AM
CornerCarver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
If you're looking for the sound and don't want to sacrifice the fresh air, I HIGHLY recommend the AEM intake. As for the grille in the scoop you have several options...

1. Open up the existing grille like I did.
2. Remove the grille all together.
3. Buy a pre-built grille insert.

The AEM intake is a bit pricey, but is very well built and does an excellent job of getting the outside air to the filter. Also, it directs the turbo noise straight out of the car through the scoop. ;D

It seems as thought the cost of the AEM intake has gone up a bit since I bought mine in February for $333.96... If you buy it from the same site that I did, and apply the discount code "se78261" it will drop the price to $370.13 (with free shipping). This is the cheapest I can find for this intake which now goes for $400 everywhere else.

AEM 21-721C - http://www.ultrarev.com/21-721c.html

Metal Grille insert - http://www.waymotorworks.com/mini-fi...oop-grill.html
Centium, with full AEM kit did you notice any differences since the hood scoop was made functional? I've read several threads that contradict each other once saying an intake made very little difference and others saying aftermarket intakes make a difference due to the OEM's restricted intake.

I do have access to a Dyno so I can do before/after runs, but I'd like with your first hand use, if you have notice any differences.

I eventually plan on doing the same with the JB+ and I'm debating which to purchase first.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I run the AEM kit on my N14 engine, and have been for over a year now. I can't say I ever got any power increase, even with the scoop. I removed the black grille trim for the scoop entirely. But there was a good amount of noise added. Not too much like some intake.

That being said, now that I am tuned, I dont think I could run the stock flat panel intake and achieve the powers I have now. Need the scoop part? Probably not, but it looks cool!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CornerCarver
Centium, with full AEM kit did you notice any differences since the hood scoop was made functional?
The only real difference I've noticed is the sound. It sounds more aggressive and you can clearly hear the turbo spool up and blow off, even from inside the car. My Butt-Dyno© really didn't show any improvement in the area of power and acceleration... I think the only way you'd get any real gains from it would be if you had a tune like Grizld700, or if you had another mod that would be restricted by the stock box.

I would definitely go with the JB+ first if you're looking for real power gains. If you want a car that sounds sportier, get the intake first.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the K&N on my car and i love the sound. But i can say that sound is all i think ive got out of it. It also looks nice. I dont regret the money spent

Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
here is mine

Last edited by chappybmode; 10-24-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: wrong
Old 10-26-2014, 02:26 PM
iclancy82
2nd Gear
I can personally vouch for the K&N as well. What I like about it is it also includes a larger silicone turbo inlet pipe. Some of the other cold air intakes simply use the OEM inlet which is much smaller in diameter and has more bends. Some people ACTUALLY pay $225 for an ALTA Inlet Pipe (just an example). A larger turbo inlet is included in the K&N setup. Think about that for a second....

Has excellent build quality. Very easy, straight forward installation. No fiddly ties, screws, "scoops" or shields that require 2 sided tape lol. Not a huge horsepower increase BUT there is some for sure especially in the top end. I'd say 5-8 whp. Also turbo whoosh from the wastegate sounds fantastic. Very addicting!

Last edited by iclancy82; 10-26-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
Ok so noob question. Typically you here folks talk about installing a blow off valve in order to get the "woosh" sound. So the mini comes equipped with a waste gate that does this with the addition of a CAI? No other purchase required of a blow off valve?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JiminiGricket
Ok so noob question. Typically you here folks talk about installing a blow off valve in order to get the "woosh" sound. So the mini comes equipped with a waste gate that does this with the addition of a CAI? No other purchase required of a blow off valve?
If you just want the whine-hiss noise, the CAI will give you that. Mine is pretty loud with the AEM kit. I've been on the fence as to whether or not an aftermarket blow-off valve is really worth it. Can anyone who has the Forge blow-off valve or something similar chime in here please!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
Well thanks for the speedy reply. I am a practical person interested in function but lets face it a cool sound helps lol. I just got my mini and have been searching the threads here like crazy trying to eliminate the possibilities and weigh cost for benefit. Still on the fence as to whether or not the AEM is worth the higher price over the K&N. And was excited when I found this thread that mentioned the JB Module. But it doesnt appear to work with my 2008

Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
I got the AEM at a steal...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3888258

I just tried the code to see if it still works but it appears that they have killed it. I went with the AEM kit to make the ornamental hood scoop a functional one. I'm all for practicality as well, and having a hood scoop that does nothing seems kind of pointless. That's just one man's opinion...

Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
yeah I will probably wait just a bit longer and go for that one. Although some pics I see in some adds look like the one you posted and don't show the Grey AEM intake pipe. I am always afraid I would be buying the wrong kit because it doesnt show it in the pic lol

Old 01-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
There are two different kits...

If you have a 2007-2010 MCS you need this one...
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?prod=21-699c

If you have a 2011-2013 MCS you need this one...
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?prod=21-721C

There are a lot of websites that carry these, so shop around for the best deal.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:13 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
Lol thanks. I swear some are lumping the years for both models together. I have an offer in on a system on ebay. I will let you know if it pans out. On to the exhaust! And the rattle coming from the back end which based on what I am reading is probably my sway bar bushings....

Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
They are technically the same car. In 2011 they gave it a face lift and updated the motor. 2007-2010 has the n14 motor while the 2011-2013 has the n18 motor. What years are compatible really depends on what part is being discussed. An exhaust for example is good for 2007-2013, while certain tail lights are only good for the post face lift or "LCI" verson from 2011-2013. In 2011 they moved the reverse lamps to the lower bumper. If you were to install the tail lights from a 2011 into a 2010 you would no longer have reverse lamps!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:59 AM
Aikmanson
2nd Gear
Lol thanks. I swear some are lumping the years for both models together. I have an offer in on a system on ebay. I will let you know if it pans out. On to the exhaust! And the rattle coming from the back end which based on what I am reading is probably my sway bar bushings....
My rear sway bar bushings crapped out on me last winter, about a month after one of my fronts went. Both replaced under warranty. If it happens again, I will upgrade the rear sway bar at the same time since it's no longer under warranty.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:37 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
They are technically the same car. In 2011 they gave it a face lift and updated the motor. 2007-2010 has the n14 motor while the 2011-2013 has the n18 motor. What years are compatible really depends on what part is being discussed. An exhaust for example is good for 2007-2013, while certain tail lights are only good for the post face lift or "LCI" verson from 2011-2013. In 2011 they moved the reverse lamps to the lower bumper. If you were to install the tail lights from a 2011 into a 2010 you would no longer have reverse lamps!
so no issues buying a downpipe back system for a 2009 then?

Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Centium
3rd Gear
so no issues buying a downpipe back system for a 2009 then?
Any exhaust you buy should fit any 2007-2013 unless otherwise stated, or if you have an oddball body kit...

Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
No weird body kit here. thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: R56 K&N air intake R56S