R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Is it time to sell Molly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 AM
dianna912
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it time to sell Molly?

So, Molly, my 07 MCS did great after we passed the 100k mark. Until a month ago, when I started hearing the timing chain rattle. I'm at 126k at this point, and now she's back in the shop for the turbo. We're looking at $5k in repairs within a month's time. It seems like when it rains, it pours with my MINI, and I'm really scared the third shoe is gonna drop soon of I keep hanging on to her. I have an emotional attachment to this car, and have cried over this decision, but I'm getting very weary of the work she's requiring now. She has 90k miles on the clutch (it was replaced in 2010.) I caught the TC issue very very early, and they have assured me there was no damage. The turbo hasn't even gone yet, I just heard a noise, towed her back in, and they are saying it's "going." Part of me can't see dropping the money, then getting rid of her, because that just seems foolish, but is it more foolish to hold on until the engine starts to go, and she is worthless??

Old 10-01-2014, 07:20 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Repairing a used car is always a crap-shoot. No one will know for sure what you should do. There a just too many unknowns and add to that your stated emotional attachment to your MINI.

Check to see what the '07's are running in your area. With your mileage, private parties seem to be asking about $9-10K here. Not sure what a MINI with a blown turbo would go for, but the pool of purchaser would be way smaller. This will help with the financial side.

Have you already replaced the thermostat, HPFP, water pump? Does it need tires, brakes, shocks? These are other things to consider moving forward.

My own decision on my '07 will be based on trust in the car's reliability. Once my thoughts turn to "Is something going to go wrong?", or "What's next?", that's when I'll either:

1- fix and sell it
2- patch it up and trade it in
3- sell it as-is and walk away

Good luck.