R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Overheating - new thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overheating - new thermostat

Hi,

I have a problem with my 2007 mini cooper which is overheating. We got two codes p0917 and p0125. We changed the thermostat today.

After restarting the car, we waited for the engine to warm up. It warmed up until the yellow light temperature warning came on. We stopped the car and gonna see tomorrow because the garage had to close.

Any idea what else can cause the problem ?

The car is a r56 cooper justa has 69k and no problem so far. Just the serpentine belt changed last week after it failed.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Plafnd
The car is a r56 cooper justa has 69k and no problem so far. Just the serpentine belt changed last week after it failed.
Not sure how its setup on a Justa, but on an MCS, the water pump is driven off the backside of the belt. There is a little **** you pull so that you can relieve the pressure on the belt to change it. If whoever-changed-the-belt didn't put it back the way its supposed to be, your pump isn't working.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 PM
jhziiik2
2nd Gear
make sure you bleed the cooling system properly to remove all air from the system. search for instructions here.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe
Not sure how its setup on a Justa, but on an MCS, the water pump is driven off the backside of the belt. There is a little **** you pull so that you can relieve the pressure on the belt to change it. If whoever-changed-the-belt didn't put it back the way its supposed to be, your pump isn't working.
Yeah maybe it Is That. Ill see tomorrow. The thing is like the engine is getting hot but nothing is starting to cool it down.

I remember the guy released the big stuff which was hard to pull actually. I also noticed that with the new belt (bought at mini) is doing some noise at 4000rpms and more. Like a rolling noise. I thought because it was a new one maybe. But maybe it has to do something with the pump.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jhziiik2
make sure you bleed the cooling system properly to remove all air from the system. search for instructions here.
We bleed the all system and put new coolant. The fan never starts. Never never, even after the temperature warning, but my repair shop tested it with some other power source and it is working, I mean turning.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Did you bleed the system with the engine running, and did you get coolant out of the bleeder?

Other people have found that shops forgot to re-engage the drive wheel for the water pump.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Did you bleed the system with the engine running, and did you get coolant out of the bleeder?

Other people have found that shops forgot to re-engage the drive wheel for the water pump.

Have fun,
Mike
Hey mike,

No didn't do it with the engine on. Do you know how can we re engage it ?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
If the engine wasnt running, you didn't bleed it. Go back and redo.

Sent from my Nexus using NAMotoring

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
The wheel is retracted by pulling a little tab, which is attached to a flat wire spring. Make sure that the tab is pushed back into the housing so that no shiny metal is exposed (the spring is about 1/8" wide). If you can see a gap between the pulley (the one with the cross-hatched outer diameter) and the belt, then the pulley is not engaged.

Before starting the car, get a screwdriver on the bleeder and a flashlight and make sure you know exactly where it is (it is pretty well hidden). When the car is running, open up the bleeder until you see a steady stream of liquid coming out. It will take at least 2 turns to get fluid out of the bleeder screw, but you don't want to have the screw back out all of the way.

Mike

Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
Hey thanks for your answers!

I just want to keep this post updated. We replaced in fact the thermostat and the fuse! Everything is working perfectly. I changed the thermostat last year... This is a piece of crap!

See you all around

Old 10-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Plafnd
Hey thanks for your answers!

I just want to keep this post updated. We replaced in fact the thermostat and the fuse! Everything is working perfectly. I changed the thermostat last year... This is a piece of crap!

See you all around
Never would have guessed it would be a fuse, glad it worked out for you.

How did a fuse go bad?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Plafnd
2nd Gear
The fuse was bad yes, but the thermostat was out of service as well. My check engine light when out after replacing the thermostat. I just think this part is crap and needs to be changed often after 60k. Georgia is running like a charm now. The fuse by the way is a 30A (GREEN) see back of the box to locate it.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't understand why Mini didn't start manufacturing them in aluminum like they did with the now updated aluminum water pumps, the thermostat housings fail more often than the older factory plastic water pumps Mini was using. I replaced mine even though it was fine, I didn't want it to fail me in this heatwave we get in SoCal.