R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Excellent Mods for R56 "Justa" Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM
jh2002
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent Mods for R56 "Justa" Cooper

I know the Sprint Booster 2 has been around for many years and is old news, but I just installed one. It's absolutely brilliant!!! The car feels like there has been an instant 75 bhp increase. Although, I know the SB doesn't increase power in reality, but makes power more available when you want it. Sprint Booster has completely transformed the car. Shifting is smoother and the power curve comes lower down in the revs all the way up. Hard to believe I've been driving the car for 7 years without having installed the SB. I never realized what a difference the stock lag in the electronic pedal had on performance.

The DDMWorks intake, which I've had for awhile sounds more lively and smoother grunt. It feels and sounds a little like my old BMW 2002. The throttle response from the Sprint Booster and the intake sound makes the car feel just a wee bit like a Works model, but obviously without the massive power output. It's hard to completely explain. I don't know why MINI didn't put the throttle response of the SB in the stock design. I suppose my recent spark plug change and renewed front brakes also help make the car feel really tight and fun again. The Sprint Booster 2 is the best "bolt on" mod I've ever bought. A huge performance difference with an install time of about 5 minutes.

Before the Sprint Booster, my Cooper had been putting out approximately 142 bhp with the DDMWorks Intake. Now I can feel the power being used correctly with throttle lag gone. Very chuffed with my 2007 Cooper again. Same feel as when I bought my first MINI in 2003, which was a Cooper S in stock form. :-)

I got inspired to install WIPAC driving lights, which look just like the stock MINI chrome set, but are less than $200 with the mounting brackets, all ordered from the UK. A nice bit of kit! I got the stainless steel set, which look fine against the chrome grill and won't rust. Have to finish up the wiring, but the grill has been adapted for the lights and they look great on the car. Can't wait for that extra lighting with my high beams. New England roads get pretty dark at night.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I appreciate your optimism; but where did you find the 142 hp? My stock 2010 could use another 22 hp.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you are happy with your Justa, for me the new plugs and a couple of tanks with Lucas Octane booster made me happy on the track. But the SB2 is not for everyone, here is a white paper written by a clever guy on exactly what it does:

http://www.crosslake.net/~dbipes/spr...intBooster.pdf

Basically it eliminates the top 30% of the accelerator pedal travel, squeezing that fine modulation control over acceleration into a much smaller distance. You lose subtle control of adjusting your rpms and basically run it WOT (or OFF) all the time. Now the Justa has variable electronic valve operation as well as the ECU mapping that adjusts to your driving manner. On the track I found my Justa just needed about 1/2 a lap with WOT to adjust the mapping to let the valves open to full extension and as long as I kept hammering the pedal to the floor, it keep that mapping as well as the aggressive mode on the ECU.

Because I did not have the Sprint Booster 2 I still had a generous amount of pedal travel to finely tune the power application (and reduction) when needed. The SB2 is more like an on/off switch, and often annoying while in city traffic. All I am saying is, that it gives no more power, takes away 30% of the pedal travel finesse, and is only noticeable as an "improvement" by drivers that mash the pedal all the way to the floor all the time without it.

Oh, and if you know a thing or two about electronics, it costs about $15 to make, the real hassle is finding the right pedal connector on ebay,... it is just a signal amplifier and it takes away the stock failsafe second potentiometer giving you a single point of failure.

BTW - I recommend either the torque arm insert or replacing the whole arm for more aggressive throttle response that is real world noticeable.

Last edited by RockAZ; 09-18-2014 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (10-06-2023)
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sure love to see the dyno printout that shows your intake giving you 142 HP. Is that a MFR claim or did you do a dyno pull or 3?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I have had a Sprint Booster on my 08 Non S for 65000 miles. Regardless of what analysis and explanations are given, their is no downside. It feels incredibly responsive with a tremendous power curve all the way to redline. I have had no decrease in MPG and there is nothing that comes close to this gain for the money on a N12.