R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Looking at a 2006 and 2008 Cooper S- should I go with the 08?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Etrain
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2006 and 2008 Cooper S- should I go with the 08?

Hey everyone! I'm looking at a 2006 Cooper S with 79K miles, and a 2008 Cooper S with 85K miles (both manual).

I know some of the basic differences, the 08 is a few inches longer, has a turbocharger instead, but anything else noteworthy?

Also, realistically, is an 08 a step forward from an 06? Any major recalls or common issues I should be aware of as the car is at 85K miles?

thanks!!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Etrain
Hey everyone! I'm looking at a 2006 Cooper S with 79K miles, and a 2008 Cooper S with 85K miles (both manual).

I know some of the basic differences, the 08 is a few inches longer, has a turbocharger instead, but anything else noteworthy?

Also, realistically, is an 08 a step forward from an 06? Any major recalls or common issues I should be aware of as the car is at 85K miles?

thanks!!
There are a lot of r53 (1st gen) vs r56 (2nd gen) threads and discussions. I would go with the 06 personally. Early R56 have a lot of problems with the N14 engine. I just bought a second gen, used MCS, and read through a lot of threads. I wish there was a good quality R53 in my area I could have picked up. I've now owned both.

I'm sure you'll get some feedback, however search around the common problem threads and you'll find a bundle of info on each.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Etrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
There are a lot of r53 (1st gen) vs r56 (2nd gen) threads and discussions. I would go with the 06 personally. Early R56 have a lot of problems with the N14 engine. I just bought a second gen, used MCS, and read through a lot of threads. I wish there was a good quality R53 in my area I could have picked up. I've now owned both.

I'm sure you'll get some feedback, however search around the common problem threads and you'll find a bundle of info on each.
Thanks for the reply- would an 08 still be considered an early R56? So one with a problematic engine?

thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's the easiest question to answer, do you want a raw drivers car, or a more comfortable daily driver with some pep? Moderate maintenance price or higher maintenance cost?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
... would an 08 still be considered an early R56? So one with a problematic engine?
The problematic (timing chain tensioner, high pressure fuel pump, carbon build-up, high oil consumption) N14 engine was used in 2007 - 2010 R56 MSC models.

The engine in the 2002 - 2006 R53 MSC is pretty bullet-proof and you can fit a 15% supercharger reduction pulley (along with a shorter drive belt and colder spark plugs) to add 20+ horsepower.

Originally Posted by bavmotors
It's the easiest question to answer, do you want a raw drivers car, or a more comfortable daily driver with some pep? Moderate maintenance price or higher maintenance cost?
Exactly

Old 09-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Etrain
1st Gear
Interesting way of putting it. I'm assuming the raw drivers' car is the R53?

I'm looking for a daily driver, but something that is fun- that doesn't mean it can't be a "raw drivers' car". Good handling is a plus, but this car won't see too many sharp turns at high speeds. It will be pushed in low gears though as I accelerate and cruise along my daily driving routes. I'm not an aggressive driver, but I am certainly "spirited", to say the least.

And what do you mean by moderate maintenance price or higher maintenance cost?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Etrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
The problematic (timing chain tensioner, high pressure fuel pump, carbon build-up, high oil consumption) N14 engine was used in 2007 - 2010 R56 MSC models.

The engine in the 2002 - 2006 R53 MSC is pretty bullet-proof and you can fit a 15% supercharger reduction pulley (along with a shorter drive belt and colder spark plugs) to add 20+ horsepower.

Exactly
Do the engines in the 06 not also have carbon buildup and chain tensioner issues too? I've heard of some people who have issues with them too.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
And what do you mean by moderate maintenance price or higher maintenance cost?
The N14 engine in the 2007 - 2010 R56 MCS has a direct injection engine and is prone to carbon build-up on the intake valves. This is going to require periodic maintenance (Google "walnut blasting"). This engine also suffers from high oil consumption so you have to be really diligent with monitoring your oil level.

Do the engines in the 06 not also have carbon buildup and chain tensioner issues too? I've heard of some people who have issues with them too.
The Tritec motor in the R53 is not direct injection like the R56.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without knowing the prices, or if these are private party listings or at a dealer, I would say go with the 2006.

Info-
I bought a 2008 MINI Cooper S - new (with only 3 miles on it) and after 30,000 miles the oil consumption was out of control. One quart of oil every 1,000 miles is normal. Some cars have this problem; others do not.

Whatever you decide on, do get the Carfax. If you go with the 2008...pay close attention if the timing chain was ever replaced.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 AM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Another good option, if it fits your budget, is to buy a used MINI from the dealer that is covered under the MINI Next program. Or perhaps one that has a warranty.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:09 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
The r53 is the drivers car, handling is tighter and has much more all around feedback. The r56 was an attempt to try and broaden the mini selling market, making it appeal to the masses. As for the r56 engines, they are a train wreck. The 2006 MCS is the most sought after year, and IMO the best year since the new mini.
I tried to give a unbiased response initially.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:48 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The 2005-2006 "refresh" cars were the best of the r53 cars...
The n14 gen2 r56 did get much better...but early ones are a crap shoot...
To me they newer cars feels cheaper...less substantial.. Fender liners made of fuzzy carpet stuff, salad try like plastics parts... But they ride nice and are more quiet.
IMO if you want a gen2 r56...get a newer one with the n18 motor unless you want the n14 so you can tune it through the odb2 port...another reason so many older r56 cars are an iffy buy....
In EITHER case, get a good inspection BEFORE you buy...
Both cars have strong and weak points...
Pick your poison...for me the r53 has been a great car since new...driven normally with some "fun" times, it has proven to be reliable...but many mini's are abused...or miss matainted by well meaning owners trying to diy stuff...so be careful with any buy.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:01 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
Without knowing the prices, or if these are private party listings or at a dealer, I would say go with the 2006.

Info-
I bought a 2008 MINI Cooper S - new (with only 3 miles on it) and after 30,000 miles the oil consumption was out of control. One quart of oil every 1,000 miles is normal. Some cars have this problem; others do not.

Whatever you decide on, do get the Carfax. If you go with the 2008...pay close attention if the timing chain was ever replaced.
You can always call the MINI dealer with the VIN to see if some the issues were resolved. I was looking at an 08 last year, the dealer told me all the main issues had been replaced, along with the transmission... The Honda dealer I was negotiating with lost the sale, unrelated to the car.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 PM
otbiker
2nd Gear
If its a driver, you'll grow to hate the ride "quality" of the 1st gen. The R56 with std tires makes a pretty comfortable daily driver.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:16 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by otbiker
If its a driver, you'll grow to hate the ride "quality" of the 1st gen. The R56 with std tires makes a pretty comfortable daily driver.
I actually find the r53 quite comfy after I got used to it.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:42 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by otbiker
Seems most mini drivers are kinda cheap.....many 10+ year old minis are on factory struts and they think a hard ride is normal...just cause they are not leaking does not mean they are good....
The ride should be "firm" but not painful or jaring.... If it is, then the struts are dead, or the suspension is not stock. I found the ride is quite good with koni fsd struts, and 16 or 15 rims...not sure about 17's or larger...
Sure it will never be "luxury car" smooth....but if your fillings are falling out and your kidneys ache....then your car needs struts...

Old 09-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The 2005-2006 "refresh" cars were the best of the r53 cars...
The n14 gen2 r56 did get much better...but early ones are a crap shoot...
To me they newer cars feels cheaper...less substantial.. Fender liners made of fuzzy carpet stuff, salad try like plastics parts... But they ride nice and are more quiet.
IMO if you want a gen2 r56...get a newer one with the n18 motor unless you want the n14 so you can tune it through the odb2 port...another reason so many older r56 cars are an iffy buy....
In EITHER case, get a good inspection BEFORE you buy...
Both cars have strong and weak points...
Pick your poison...for me the r53 has been a great car since new...driven normally with some "fun" times, it has proven to be reliable...but many mini's are abused...or miss matainted by well meaning owners trying to diy stuff...so be careful with any buy.
My clutch components showed signs of wear that could only have been driven by somebody that shouldn't be driving a manual! Got a great engine though, it needs a tune for its true potential. I wish I had the knowledge that I have now because I might have gone for a R53, but again people abuse these Mini's and trade them in. Go for an N18 engine, your best bet!

Last edited by Systemlord; 09-14-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4 inches in the 08 is all in the bumpers. In reality they're the same size. I've also had both (an 05 actually) the 06 is rawer. The 08 is more refined, faster and easier to drive and drive fast, its also a lot more fuel efficient (over 25% better for us). For what its worth, our 08 was totally reliable.

One difference is the power steering, I think the 06 was hydraulic, the 08 has electric. I preferred the electric, the 06 is too heavy at parking speeds and to light on the freeway. The 08 in sport mode is perfect at all speeds. The clutch was also a lot heavier in the earlier MINIs.

Either is a good car, it just depends on what you prefer in a car.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:52 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
The 4 inches in the 08 is all in the bumpers. In reality they're the same size. I've also had both (an 05 actually) the 06 is rawer. The 08 is more refined, faster and easier to drive and drive fast, its also a lot more fuel efficient (over 25% better for us). For what its worth, our 08 was totally reliable. One difference is the power steering, I think the 06 was hydraulic, the 08 has electric. I preferred the electric, the 06 is too heavy at parking speeds and to light on the freeway. The 08 in sport mode is perfect at all speeds. The clutch was also a lot heavier in the earlier MINIs. Either is a good car, it just depends on what you prefer in a car.
I believe the r53 is also electric power steering

Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
If all other things are about equal (exterior/interior condition, maintenance history, body type, CarFax results, etc) then reading on here one would assume the 2006 R53 (I think it is?). It was towards the end of the model run so (in theory) should have fewer bugs than the still relatively 'new' 2008 R56 version.

However going off continued sales and fairly high ratings it seems on sites like Edmunds the R56s weren't quite the "waiting to explode" vehicles a lot on here seem to make them sound, so if they had improvements on ride and acceleration and comfort as mentioned I'd go that route.

In the end I say look over both of them very well and in the end go with the one that has more of what you want (look, feel, options, comfort level, etc). Get either or both checked out regardless.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
The 4 inches in the 08 is all in the bumpers. In reality they're the same size. I've also had both (an 05 actually) the 06 is rawer. The 08 is more refined, faster and easier to drive and drive fast, its also a lot more fuel efficient (over 25% better for us). For what its worth, our 08 was totally reliable.

One difference is the power steering, I think the 06 was hydraulic, the 08 has electric. I preferred the electric, the 06 is too heavy at parking speeds and to light on the freeway. The 08 in sport mode is perfect at all speeds. The clutch was also a lot heavier in the earlier MINIs.

Either is a good car, it just depends on what you prefer in a car.

I feel like the clutch is too soft in my R56 compared to R53. I have to let this ***** almost all the way out before it starts to disengage. The R53 felt easier for me to drive.

The power steering in the R56 for me feels jumpy. I hit bumps, holes, and such and the front end jerks. It almost feels like I skip side to side. Comparing to the R53 I had, felt more solid overall... Although both cars are basically the same, they have a lot of noticeable differences to me. The R56 feels more spacious and the visibility feels better. I remember being at a red light with my R53, first in line and couldn't see the lights without leaning a bit.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
I feel like the clutch is too soft in my R56 compared to R53. I have to let this ***** almost all the way out before it starts to disengage. The R53 felt easier for me to drive.

The power steering in the R56 for me feels jumpy. I hit bumps, holes, and such and the front end jerks. It almost feels like I skip side to side. Comparing to the R53 I had, felt more solid overall... Although both cars are basically the same, they have a lot of noticeable differences to me. The R56 feels more spacious and the visibility feels better. I remember being at a red light with my R53, first in line and couldn't see the lights without leaning a bit.
Most R56's have the clutch engage and disengage almost at the floor, all R56's are like that. However I have heard that later R56 models have a soft clutch meaning the clutch pedal is easy to depress, my 07 MCS after the clutch was replaced felt much softer than the one that came from the factory! Big difference and easier on my legs, the 2013 GP2 has almost no pressure at all on the clutch pedal.

How I love the Borla S-Type exhaust on the R53's, nice loud and obnoxious!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Whatever it was it was very different from the R56. The R56 also gets the sport button to choose between much too light and perfect.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
The R56 also gets the sport button to choose between much too light and perfect.
Good point about the sport button...the 2008 MINI Cooper S, would have that feature.

We still don't know if these cars are at a dealer, or not? If it's a private party sale, the risk with the 2008 S model is reduced. It seems when people have a problem child 2007 - 2010 R56 they often do a trade in, or sell it to Carmax.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
another key question is how comfortable are you working on cars yourself? does the idea of spending a weekend pulling the front clip off the car to get your hands dirty sound like A. an excuse to drink beer and learn or B. a nightmare from the 5th dimension?

at this age, i wouldn't expect either car to be too much more work than the other. the basket case N14s have mostly grenaded by now, or they've been fixed (other wise wouldn't still be on the road). either car is going to need typical used car maintenance, and aside from the timing chain issue and carbon build up (and this isn't a unique problem to the N14 BTW, its very common on european direct injection cars of this era), the N14 engine really isn't that bad. the 07+ cars are more complex in a lot of aspects, so there is theoretically more chance for something to fail. i live in reality where i drive until something starts to show signs of failure then i fix it. if you are looking for something that you can simply drive into the ground, never look under the hood or check tire pressure, you best look for something else.

just remember bad press tends to travel 10x as fast as good press, and on internet forums you are twice as likely to find the people with problems as ones without, since the ones without problems are busy motoring and enjoying their ride whether its 1st or 2nd gen.

Quick Reply: R56 Looking at a 2006 and 2008 Cooper S- should I go with the 08?