R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Catch Can suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Catch Can suggestion

I have already installed a BSH catch can on my car with the recommended block off adapter etc. But I am still getting oil in the turbo intake hose. And the can typically traps very little oil. When I have emptied it; it contains more water from condensation in the lines than oil.

Is there another brand of catch can that will trap more oil? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you just install the OCC? If you did, there's probably still oil in the intercooler and piping that you will continue to see for a bit.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
An Oil Catch Can will collect less when the weather is hot. They are not a perfect solution.

I have an old Jaguar that has a fuel chiller connected to the Air Conditioning system, I wonder if a similar thing could be made for the Oil Catch Can.

Dave

Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by R56BrgMcs
Did you just install the OCC? If you did, there's probably still oil in the intercooler and piping that you will continue to see for a bit.
It has been installed for quite some time now, probably a couple years now.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
I found this style can after a thorough search.

http://www.mc2magazine.com/General_S...nturbo&pID=367

I really like the information provided on the "two Stage" oil filtering process. My BSH can does not have any media in it to trap smaller particles. It only has a metal baffle which in my case really isn't pulling the oil out.

Does anyone have experience with the above MC2 catch can?

Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 05:14 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What year and how many miles is your Cooper S?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:04 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not letting me load that page at work. :p

One I'm looking at that might have a decent setup for trapping is from http://www.saikoumichi.com/. Click on the top "The Design" page to see how it's setup. I think he redid the website as it doesn't show an active one for the MINI, but there is a line for a MINI Dual OCC on the right he might be working on. Edit: I've sent them an e-mail to confirm if they still have options for us, etc.

Based on what I've seen so far overall the other two I'm looking at with that one are the M7 & Madness Motor Works cans. The BHC struck me as large and I've read some folks have had quality issues with the baffle.

I'll have to check out that other one when I get off work.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
What year and how many miles is your Cooper S?
It's a 2009 JCW clubman with around 40,000 miles.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
It's not letting me load that page at work. :p

One I'm looking at that might have a decent setup for trapping is from http://www.saikoumichi.com/. Click on the top "The Design" page to see how it's setup. I think he redid the website as it doesn't show an active one for the MINI, but there is a line for a MINI Dual OCC on the right he might be working on. Edit: I've sent them an e-mail to confirm if they still have options for us, etc.

Based on what I've seen so far overall the other two I'm looking at with that one are the M7 & Madness Motor Works cans. The BHC struck me as large and I've read some folks have had quality issues with the baffle.

I'll have to check out that other one when I get off work.
Very odd, the MC2 link will no longer work for me either. I have also sent an email to Saikou Michi inquiring about what they have available for our cars. I have one of the Saikou Michi units on my 02 corvette. But, for the MINI, I really want a single can setup. Gonna try and call SM on Tues as well to follow up. I need to get something on there that works. All that oil can't be good for my turbo.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Odd indeed. When I originally came across a Google for them they had a single can on a different page setup last week. Now it seems it's just the one above and it just mentions a double can. I'd rather prefer a single as well if it does the job, less space and hassle.

Let us know which one you end up going with.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Here's the reply I got back from SM:

Hey!

Sure thing! I had a bunch of guys order duals for the R56, but I have also had requests for the N18 which is using a single tank setup.
So the specs for that one is, S1-OCC base tank with 3/4" OD tube fittings. Default rotations.
I include an L-bracket for that one instead of the regular offset clip. It seems to be more useful.

Pics attached

Here is a quick quote. I forgot if you had a US address, but I can update that if necessary.

S1-OCC $85
US postage $11

My backlog is pretty long right now, unfortunately it is around 5+ weeks to build and ship.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Performance Angst
Here's the reply I got back from SM:

Hey!

Sure thing! I had a bunch of guys order duals for the R56, but I have also had requests for the N18 which is using a single tank setup.
So the specs for that one is, S1-OCC base tank with 3/4" OD tube fittings. Default rotations.
I include an L-bracket for that one instead of the regular offset clip. It seems to be more useful.

Pics attached

Here is a quick quote. I forgot if you had a US address, but I can update that if necessary.

S1-OCC $85
US postage $11

My backlog is pretty long right now, unfortunately it is around 5+ weeks to build and ship.
I received the same reply. I asked if the single can was N18-specific but other than that looks good for those interested.

Attached Thumbnails Catch Can suggestion-n18_single_occ.jpg   Catch Can suggestion-stage-1-occ-mitered-sample.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S1-OCC-pamphlet-2013.pdf (1.03 MB, 335 views)

Last edited by Aelwulf; 09-01-2014 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Added pics & .pdf
Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
You can expect the oil to go through the PCV hose that connects to the turbo inlet when you block off the only other PCV hose. You're going to be ingesting oil in at least one of the PCV ports, I choose the shortcut. You have oil in your intercooler and probably the entire intake tract, the BSH is a joke and like most have stated there's little media to actually catch oil.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
You can expect the oil to go through the PCV hose that connects to the turbo inlet when you block off the only other PCV hose. You're going to be ingesting oil in at least one of the PCV ports, I choose the shortcut. You have oil in your intercooler and probably the entire intake tract, the BSH is a joke and like most have stated there's little media to actually catch oil.
Which set up are you running. I, so far, have been less than pleased with my BSH. Could I simply add media to my can?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 AM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I had the BSH OCC and ended up taking it off. I am now considering one of these cans, or two, especially when you can get TWO cans for less than the BSH product.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM
al the mini man
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You will find that most of us in the UK who have catch cans use the Saiko Michi ones.Very good quality and all importantly the pipe size is correct(19mm) not less as on some other makes i have seen.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Which set up are you running. I, so far, have been less than pleased with my BSH. Could I simply add media to my can?
I sold mine as there's nothing trapping the oil, oil in my turbo inlet PCV hose, I wouldn't be surprised if I had oil in my intercooler. I'll just get a walnut media blast every 30k-40k.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Originally Posted by al the mini man
You will find that most of us in the UK who have catch cans use the Saiko Michi ones.Very good quality and all importantly the pipe size is correct(19mm) not less as on some other makes i have seen.
I also like this can made by Radium auto: http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-...-Kit-P178.aspx

I'll agree, the Saikou Michi can has a good design. I like the fact that the vapor enters the can and is then drawn back up through the media. But, as far as the pipe size goes (19mm); hoses here in the states are still sold in SAE sizes, 1/2", 5/16 etc. Still can't access the MC2 site so I'll probably be ordering the Saikou Michi can (5 week wait time) once I get my car back from the dealer and can confirm the size of the PCV hoses I'm currently using for the BSH can (major Joke of a design). I was also considering adding some stainless steel media to the BSH but the problem becomes "How much" to add so it functions optimally but does not restrict air flow too much through the PCV system.

What's the simplest way to clean out the intercooler? The ALTA piece was such a PITA to put in; I'm dreading getting to the hose clamps etc to remove them.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Don't waste your time guys. The intercooler in my car at 60+K did not have any oil in the intercooler. My charge pipes had a thin layer of oil, but no liquid came out of the stock intercooler when I replaced mine. Now I have an OCC, and it doesn't catch much, but my charge pipes are now bone dry. I did NOT seal off the rear pcv.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Landesman
Don't waste your time guys. The intercooler in my car at 60+K did not have any oil in the intercooler. My charge pipes had a thin layer of oil, but no liquid came out of the stock intercooler when I replaced mine. Now I have an OCC, and it doesn't catch much, but my charge pipes are now bone dry. I did NOT seal off the rear pcv.
I guess this would be a YMMV situation. For example, I installed both NM hard tubes last year. This year I installed a new FMIC and found a lot of black gunk coating both of the hard tubes. So obviously something is getting past the and making the carbon issue worse.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
I guess this would be a YMMV situation. For example, I installed both NM hard tubes last year. This year I installed a new FMIC and found a lot of black gunk coating both of the hard tubes. So obviously something is getting past the and making the carbon issue worse.
I like the Wagner FMIC. Looks like it mounts with factory hardware and the inlet and outlet pipes are in the factory location and uses the factory hardware as well. Please confirm. Thanks If so, it may be time to replace the ATLA unit and clean everything out at that same time.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Performance Angst
I have already installed a BSH catch can on my car with the recommended block off adapter etc. But I am still getting oil in the turbo intake hose. And the can typically traps very little oil. When I have emptied it; it contains more water from condensation in the lines than oil.

Is there another brand of catch can that will trap more oil? Thanks.
More water than oil is common in the OCC. Can you determine where the turbo intake hose oil is coming from --- is the OCC output line wet, or is it only the turbo inlet chamber that's wet? I ask because I have similar issues, but my OCC output lines are dry. The N14 PCV system appears to be extremely sensitive to OCC connections. When I drive 30 - 40 miles with no boost (cruise control on an empty interstate), I get oil burning. My rear PCV line is plugged, so the only relief is from the turbo inlet line, and that line is only activated during boost, or non-vacuum manifold conditions. As a result, crankcase pressure builds and turbo oil doesn't return to the crankcase, but leaks by the turbo oil seal into the air inlet chamber.

At least, that's my conclusion. There are others out there who disagree. I'm on my 3rd valve cover in less than 6 months, and can't believe I've had that many "out-of-box" faulty PCV systems. I can't find any reliable sources for N14 PCV DETAILED description, other than the Bentley manual, and I consider that just basic info. I'm afraid to re-connect the rear PCV line to my Saiku-Michi dual OCC, because I also believe my 30PSI boost is what caused the first 2 valve cover PCV failures. I'm still trying different PCV / OCC connections and other fixes, so nothing is for sure --- yet.

Anyhow, consider this and make your own determination, based on where the oil is coming from. There's a good chance that just driving with boost more often will stop the oil burning.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
You nailed it with your last sentence. I chose the shortcut, the throttle body PCV hose/port. You'll never stop the black oily gunk from going into your engine unless you vent to atmosphere. Just have the valves cleaned every 40-60k.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Do you have a photo of your set up? Or have you seen a vent to atmosphere set up? I'm curious about doing either of these.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
It looks like the MC2 site is back up. It appears they upgraded to a new interface recently and that's why it had been down for a couple days. But the link works again:
http://www.mc2magazine.com/MC2_Oil_C...n.cfm?sc1=10,8

The MC2 can looks to be a superior design compared to some others.
I like the concept of the MC2 can but given the price point; I am fairly certain I'll be ordering the Saikou Michi unit as I don't need all the adapters that come with the MC2 since I already have those with the BSH unit. Just need to confirm the hose size with Saikou Michi for inlet and outlet barbs now that my car is back home. Just need to wait 5 weeks to get the new one. That part sux!!

Quick Reply: R56 Catch Can suggestion