R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MCS: No power; coolant everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mini419
So I dropped off the Mini yesterday evening, and they gave me a call today. Apparently some vacuum lines had been disconnected and ghetto-rigged together, and I was missing boost
...weird...
I know that everyone knocks the dealership -- but they have mini specific tools and mini specific training.. Even when I had my honda -- every time I had an issue the Dealership found the problem and fixed it fast and first time... with my own backyard mechanical skills and/or not specific mechanics it almost always took more time...may or may not have cost more money (based upon their labor rate differentials) -- but it definitely took more time.

I am not blaming your mechanic but is it possible that he removed the vacuum lines to get at replacing your T-stat housing - lost track of where they went and plugged them back in in whatever fashion he felt was appropriate or looked right?

There are reasons why factory repair manuals are really expensive...the detail is really important.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM
mini419
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
I know that everyone knocks the dealership -- but they have mini specific tools and mini specific training.. Even when I had my honda -- every time I had an issue the Dealership found the problem and fixed it fast and first time... with my own backyard mechanical skills and/or not specific mechanics it almost always took more time...may or may not have cost more money (based upon their labor rate differentials) -- but it definitely took more time.

I am not blaming your mechanic but is it possible that he removed the vacuum lines to get at replacing your T-stat housing - lost track of where they went and plugged them back in in whatever fashion he felt was appropriate or looked right?

There are reasons why factory repair manuals are really expensive...the detail is really important.
Yeah, he's always done a good job before, but I think with future problems I'll just go to the dealership.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mini419
So I dropped off the Mini yesterday evening, and they gave me a call today. Apparently some vacuum lines had been disconnected and ghetto-rigged together, and I was missing boost
...weird...
Wow something simple. If you didn't do it then that only leaves one other, the mechanic that replaced your thermostat housing. I wasn't kidding about all the wiring harnesses that are routed above the thermostat housing, there's a lot of other stuff that goes through there.