R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Window does not stay up

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window does not stay up

Hey guys. Searched around and couldn't find anything similar but hoping someone can give me some direction.
I just purchased a 2008 Cooper S HT about 2 weeks ago.

Here is the problem. There are time when the passenger window is rolled up that the car immediately rolls the windows back down halfway. It only happens when the window was all the way down. Sometimes it will do it 2 or 3 times before the window stays up. If I pause rolling the window up it will usually stay up.
Anyone have anything similar?

Thanks for any response!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
I forgot to add something else.

The same passenger window when it does roll all the way up and stay it immediately drops down a half inch or so, like the driver side does when you open the door.

The passenger window does not drop down when the handle if pulled like the driver side does (not sure if that's normal).

I haven't driven back to the mini dealer to talk to anyone there.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Re-intialize both windows. With window in down position, press toggle up and hold it for 10 seconds or so when window reaches top position. Now press toggle down and hold again for 10 seconds.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Re-intialize both windows. With window in down position, press toggle up and hold it for 10 seconds or so when window reaches top position. Now press toggle down and hold again for 10 seconds.
I will give that a try! Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did the same thing and turns out both regulators are binding

Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Well I gave that a try and didn't help. I guess I need to hit the dealer today and see about the regulator that was mentioned.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:00 PM
peckerhead
2nd Gear
Mine does the same thing. There's a TSB out on it. Apparently the window module loses initialization, and the only way to repair it is to have someone with an OE level scan tool re initialize it. I just left it for now...ill fix it when it annoys me too much.

The stealership quoted me 3-500 to repair it, and an independent shop quoted me 75.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by peckerhead
Mine does the same thing. There's a TSB out on it. Apparently the window module loses initialization, and the only way to repair it is to have someone with an OE level scan tool re initialize it. I just left it for now...ill fix it when it annoys me too much.

The stealership quoted me 3-500 to repair it, and an independent shop quoted me 75.
Good info. I'm gonna try the dealer and see if I can get them to fix it since I just bought it from them used. If not I know an independent mini/BMW/Audi mechanic that I can check with.

I'd fix it myself if I didn't need it re initialized with a high dollar scan tool.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear

Not to show my ignorance but what is a TSB and how would you diagnose that is the issue? Is there a code that comes up on a ODB II reader or something? Is it something that can be fixed by just re-initializing it or is it a part that needs to be replaced?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
a manufacturer's bulletin describing a fix to a common problem not covered by
the original service training for that model.
Originally done to help the service advisors and service technicians, but they usual become public eventually.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_Romulus
Well I gave that a try and didn't help. I guess I need to hit the dealer today and see about the regulator that was mentioned.
Hade the same issue a few months ago. Disconnected the battery for about twenty minutes. Reconnected and did the full up, full down reset and that did the trick.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
a manufacturer's bulletin describing a fix to a common problem not covered by
the original service training for that model.
Originally done to help the service advisors and service technicians, but they usual become public eventually.
Man I feel silly for not making that correlation. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Hade the same issue a few months ago. Disconnected the battery for about twenty minutes. Reconnected and did the full up, full down reset and that did the trick.
Cool. Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try this weekend.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 AM
peckerhead
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
I tried this but mine didn't respond to it.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear

Do you recall what the TSB # is for this? I tried looking in the NAM list but couldn't find anything that looked like windows.

I just bought this thing a couple weeks ago and would like to have the TSB# when I go over to the dealer to argue they fix it.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dr_Romulus
Do you recall what the TSB # is for this? I tried looking in the NAM list but couldn't find anything that looked like windows.

I just bought this thing a couple weeks ago and would like to have the TSB# when I go over to the dealer to argue they fix it.
I believe I found the answer here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3211408

Here are two of the TSBs I found in the TIS about windows:

SI M51 01 08
Body Equipment October 2009
Technical Service

Load Graphics
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M51 01 08 dated September 2009.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Window Control Function Inactive

MODEL
R55 (Cooper Clubman, Cooper S Clubman) produced from 12/2007 up to 4/2009
R56 (Cooper, Cooper S) produced from 12/2007 up to 4/2009

SITUATION
One or more of the following conditions may be present:
The one-touch open or close feature is inoperative.
The windows open automatically immediately after closing (anti-trap activation).
The window motor does not respond when the window switch is pressed briefly.
Fault codes 9CC7 or 9CC8 (power window Hall sensor faulty) are stored in the Footwell Module (FRM).
The window initialization check control message is displayed.
CAUSE
Initialization is lost and/or anti-trap protection is triggered unnecessarily, due to the sensitivity of the FRM software and the way in which it resets the Hall sensor counter on the window motor.
Typically, numerous operations of the window, without the window being fully opened, will trigger this loss of initialization. This is due to the fact that the Hall sensor counter is not being reset on a regular basis.
CORRECTION
A software solution is available.
The FRM no longer needs to be replaced for this situation.
PROCEDURE
Connect the vehicle to ISTA and conduct a vehicle test.
If fault codes 9CC8 and/or 9CC7 are present in the FRM, continue to step 3. If these faults are not present, continue to step 7.
Inspect both the left and right side A-pillar connectors for signs of corrosion. If any corrosion is present, continue to step 4. If no corrosion is present, continue to step 7.
Replace all corroded pins on the body side of the connector. If the door side of the connector is also corroded, the door harness should be replaced.
[SX6102029.JPG]
Apply dielectric grease to the pin side of the connector.

[SX6102028.JPG]
Apply dielectric grease to the terminals (2), and between the wires (1) where they enter the connector on the terminal side of the connector.

Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.35.1 or later.
Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.
For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to Centernet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming.
Reinitialize the power windows via the initialization test plan in ISTA D2.13.0 or later. This test plan may be found under Service Functions/Body/Locking and Security/Power Windows/Initialize Power Window.
At the completion of the initialization test plan, if "Unknown variant of control unit" is displayed, it should be ignored. It does not indicate a failure of the initialization.
As an alternative, the windows may be initialized manually, using the following procedure:
Note: This procedure replaces that in Repair Instruction 67 62..., which will be updated. The procedure shown in the repair manual is for vehicles without the one-touch window control.
Close the window and door fully.
Lower the window by holding the switch in the "down" position. Continue to hold the switch down for at least 5 seconds after the window has been fully lowered.
Raise the window by holding the switch in the "fully up" position. Continue to hold the switch in the up position for at least 5 seconds after the window has been fully raised.
Repeat steps 1 to 3 for the window on the other side.

_______

SI M51 02 08
Body Equipment February 2009
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M51 02 08 dated April 2008.
designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
One-Touch Window Function Inactive After FRM Replacement

MODEL
R55 (Cooper Clubman, Cooper S Clubman)
R56 (Cooper, Cooper S)

SITUATION
After replacement of the FRM (Footwell Module) or after vehicle programming, the one-touch window control and anti-trap function on the front side windows is inactive.
CAUSE
FRM/power window regulator
PROCEDURE
Do not replace any parts.
Reinitialize the power windows via the initialization test plan in ISTA. This test plan may be found under Service Functions/Body/Locking and Security/Power Windows/Initialize Power Window.
As an alternative, the windows may be initialized manually, using the following procedure:
Note: This procedure replaces that in repair instruction 67 62..., which will be updated. The procedure shown in the repair manual is for vehicles without the one-touch window control.
Close the window and door fully.
Lower the window by holding the switch in the "down" position. Continue to hold the switch down for at least 5 seconds after the window has been fully lowered.
Raise the window by holding the switch in the "fully up" position. Continue to hold the switch in the up position for at least 5 seconds after the window has been fully raised.
Repeat steps 1 to 3 for the window on the other side.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the MINI New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Defect Code
61 35 05 15 00

Main Work*

Labor Operation:
61 00 830
Initializing power windows and sunroof (together

Labor Allowance:
Refer to KSD
with programming control modules)

*Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM
peckerhead
2nd Gear
The first one looks like it. I went through everything I could on my own, including cleaning and checking the connections at that connector. Our Mini dealership pretty much just wants the car and a blank check, and doesn't want to have to answer questions about what's needed to make repairs.

The issue I have is that when Mini connects their scan tool to my car, it scans each module to check for the latest software. If it doesn't find the latest version, it prompts the technician that a total reprogram is required. This would get to be pretty expensive, plus could potentially cause more issues (NAM members have complained of lost power after getting a N14 car reprogrammed. No thank you.

The local shop I found gave me a $75 estimate to reprogram the window module only, and said I could wait for it. That's more like it

A friend of my BIL builds repairable European imports, and apparently has an OE level scan tool. I may approach him on this when the time comes. For now, I'm just being lazy and not addressing it. Besides, it's a Mini; for every stupid, persnickety little issue you fix, two more pop up ha ha.

Last edited by peckerhead; 09-13-2014 at 07:32 AM.