R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 N12 on her last leg...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 PM
enzie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 N12 on her last leg...HELP!

MINI has has considerable loss of power. Brought to local mechanic. Top guide rail broke. Whole Timing chain assembly replaced. Serpentine belt replaced and camshaft seal replaced. Solenoids cleaned and switched. Codes now being thrown are*2845 VANOS Exhaust Activation Movement. 2781 Combustion Misfire Several Cylinders.*2771 Combustion Misfire Cylinder1. 2779 Combustion Misfire Cylinder*4. 283D VANOS Exhaust Adaption Stop. Has anyone experienced an excessive Blowby? (NO JOKES PLEASE!!) My Cooper has registered 240psi on #3 piston. And 60 psi on # 1,2 and 4. My local mechanic is taking her appart one last time to pull a piston to check the rings. After this I may be forking out for a new motor. It's been 47 days and counting since I drove my MINI. I need her back..I've read and asked if it was carbon on the back of the intake, coils, the Ac being on, soft hoses, Exhaust leak, HpFp all were checked and are fine. Is there something we can do to save her? She has a bad idol, shakes whole car, stalls under 1000k but runs smooth over 1000k. I'm in need of your input...:(

Old 08-08-2014, 09:00 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
240 PSI compression sounds way too high. And 60 sounds way too low. If all were 60, I would suggest that the test was performed incorrectly. Might still be the case, somehow? But I'm not sure what would give you very high pressures like that.

Low pressures can be the result of bad rings, the valves not sealing (burned exhaust valves, cam timing off, beat up valve seats), leaks in the cylinders or the head or the head gasket, and maybe other stuff. A leak-down test might help; you pump pressurized air into each cylinder in turn and listen for where the air comes out. Out the tailpipe means an exhaust valve leak; out the intake snorkel means an intake valve leak; out the oil filler means bad rings or maybe bad head gasket or cracked head or block.

The idle is likely because of the uneven compression--or at least, they share a cause.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:53 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Was it running poorly before the guide rail broke?
May be that the timing chain was installed incorrectly--does your mechanic have the proper tools to lock the cams and flywheel while changing the chain? Could simply be cams out of sequence--but that may lead to bent valves!!! or bent valves if chain damaged by the guide rail.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 AM
enzie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1qwkmini
Was it running poorly before the guide rail broke?
May be that the timing chain was installed incorrectly--does your mechanic have the proper tools to lock the cams and flywheel while changing the chain? Could simply be cams out of sequence--but that may lead to bent valves!!! or bent valves if chain damaged by the guide rail.
Yes, He purchased the proper tools to lock the cams. He changed 2 rods said they were not really bent enough to change but did anyway. New sparkplugs were installed as well. He said with the tools to lock the cams it's impossible to get it wrong. Unless there is a trick he doesn't know. She was running fine before she got paint. What happened there. The sunroof refused to close at one point and he said the battery died and gave it a boost. When I picked her up the yellow engine light was on. As I drove away I could feel a considerable loss of power and almost floored it to make the top of the hill. There has to be something? The oil and filter gets changed every 5k. Sorry for the spiel.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
You should find a new mechanic!!!
If rods needed changing--someone beat the crap out of your car and you probably will need a new engine. If the rods were bent, then the head is most likely bent.
Think your getting taken for a ride.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:27 AM
JVitto
1st Gear
Ah man... I'm hurting reading this. I don't know a whole lot bout the mechanics Yet....but I do know a bad sequence of happens when I hear them. As soon as you picked her up with an engine light on that was Never on,...Most the time will mean exactly what 1qwkmini said " someone beat the crap out of your car" how long ago was that? She was running great b4 paint, how long ago was that. Is that when you picked her up with the light on? It has been my experience, when you own something like a mini or ( insert something fast n fun to drive) then the "shop" or "shop workers" like to take em for a spin n you get a car with a light on.. Back from them.. I hope there is another answer for you , but my past in that area has it's way of repeating itself ...a good few times:/ if that is the case that's why I wanted to know how long ago that was. It sounds like you have done a lot of work since then so even if you could get a confession outta the shop they would just plain it on the work you have done. But that is the reason for starting all this work right? Go back to were ever it was u got her back with the light on, u need some answers

Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 AM
enzie
2nd Gear
Ive put her in for paint on the 23rd of June....I'm heartbroken. My mechanic is not new at his trade. He has countless certificates. Car dealerships send him their problem cars they cannot fix. I've personally seen/ heard and know of it. If its not the rings It's a new motor. I'll know today (Saturday) he is at the garage working just on her. I'm lucky to know him. Thank you for your input. It's mechanical, bound to happen sometime. Just fustrated.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
My question again--HOW DOES A PERFECTLY RUNNING CAR COME OUT OF A PAINT SHOP NEED ING A NEW MOTOR?????
I would be asking some questions at the paint shop!!
Just me!!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:20 PM
enzie
2nd Gear
He's a friend of my hubby's. Thought maybe the intake took in some dust? Not sure if that would affect it? But you're right. It puzzles us. Something happened, Questions will be asked.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Shop dust shouldn't get into the motor unless the air filter was completely missing after work was done/when car was started. Not sure why a body shop would remove engine parts/air filter.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Most shops would suggest a new/different motor if the rails failed from a timing chain issue...
So many issues could be hidden....and hard to find them all...
If this "suddenly " happened after paint, i'd be suspicious..... Timing issues tend to give lots of warning....sounds happen...

Old 08-09-2014, 09:17 PM
JVitto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 1qwkmini
My question again--HOW DOES A PERFECTLY RUNNING CAR COME OUT OF A PAINT SHOP NEED ING A NEW MOTOR?????
I would be asking some questions at the paint shop!!
Just me!!
This Is What I'm Saying if it went into paint with No light on n you get in the car picking it up with a light on Its The Paint Shop That Has To Answer A Few Questions. I would be n let them know it.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:26 PM
JVitto
1st Gear
I just hope it All works out for you

Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 AM
enzie
2nd Gear
pistons

Seems with the excessive blowby I need new Piston Rings. Here is the kicker. He found a set of 2 in Ontario and they will be here in 2 days. The other set of 2 will have to be ordered from Germany and will take 3 WEEKS to get here. He is going to replace the 2 that was giving the bad codes. I didn't think piston rings were such a rare thing to find.Anybody got a dealer they know who has them in stalk and wouldn't take 3 weeks to get to New Brunswick Canada? Hoping and praying this is my answer.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:52 AM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
Give ECS a call and check if they can actually get them in 2 days (as per the site). ECSTUNING.COM

Old 08-11-2014, 01:32 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I smell a fish. No way did dust at the paint shop cause this. You will never know for sure what happened, but man I smell a fish.

Your N12 engine does not have direct injection, so you will not have the carbon issues that the DI engines do.

Three weeks to get rins from Germany? Crazy, for a price things can be overnighted.

Good luck, hope this turns out well for you.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM
1qwkmini
3rd Gear
+1 for dust--much more to this story than dust!!!

Overnight, yes, but the price CDN dealers charge for part--he may as well just buy a used engine!!!
Rings are $49/ piston at ECS. I'm willing to bet that the rings are $100-120/piston at a CDN dealer. Add overnight shipping and $300 for 2 sets of rings!!!

Just a guess but probably pretty close!!!

You Americans have it good/cheap!!

Just paid $136 for the waterpipe for the N12 engine ($56 at ECS) because it needed it fast. Clip for waterpipe $20 (<$6 at ESC)

Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by enzie
Seems with the excessive blowby I need new Piston Rings. Here is the kicker. He found a set of 2 in Ontario and they will be here in 2 days. The other set of 2 will have to be ordered from Germany and will take 3 WEEKS to get here. He is going to replace the 2 that was giving the bad codes. I didn't think piston rings were such a rare thing to find.Anybody got a dealer they know who has them in stalk and wouldn't take 3 weeks to get to New Brunswick Canada? Hoping and praying this is my answer.
NO WAY I'd tear down a motor to replace only half the rings.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Whats the part number, make sure you have the right rings. N12 r56 Engine , they come in zero size ( stock size ), no plus size from MINI. 3 rings per cylinder. make sure its the rings and not something else. Put the order in we can get them here in a couple days.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11257566479/ES21501/

thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM
enzie
2nd Gear
We went to the garage. Asked if we should fly them here as my brother in law suggested. Apparently he has it covered already. We'll see what happens Wednesday. I'm getting fed up of the "we'll see" too much believe me! Thank you for your suggestions I have something to fall on if more are needed. You MINIacs are Awesome!

Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM
enzie
2nd Gear
ECSTuning

What is the cost of a piston for a R56 n12 Non S MINI Cooper? Can we fly it here to NB Canada? Would it take over 2 weeks? Customs? I need this asap.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
enzie , Get one on order asap. We can get it here soon.

Contact my sales and tell them you intentions. then get it on order, I don't know about customs, sales deals with that. The fastest is express saver.

11257589348 that's the part number. Just comes in 0 size, which is stock size.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11257589348/

I will try on my side to get things moving once its ordered.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 PM
enzie
2nd Gear
I messaged MINI Canada. They messaged me back and got my Vin # and part number. I told them the only thing I knew what one was broke The first cylinder on the top. Like you have shown. And I'm waiting on a reply to see if they have one near. My mechanic said by 10:30 Atlantic my time they will know. If I have no success I will certainly be ordering from you! Thanks for your help. I should have went with you in the first place.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM
enzie
2nd Gear
Really doesn't make sence trying to find parts for these models. Even though it is a base model. I mean having only 2 sets of piston rings at one place and not a piston to be found anywhere!? Not even a block engine...ya we thought of it. HOPEFULLY this is it.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:17 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I am no mechanic, but this whole story is strange.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 N12 on her last leg...HELP!