R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Cooper S R56 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper S R56 2008

Hey There!
I'm new to this forum and I hope it can help me find out what's troubling my car.
I have a Mini Cooper S R56 2008
it has over 100,000 miles I bought it used and recently it just started giving me problems (i've had it for 2 to 3 years)
My problem now is I checked the car with my obdII reader and it has the codes P0300,P0301,P0302,P0304, and it also had a code previous to these which was P1497, P2178 and P2187.
I recently changed all four of the spark plugs (with a non-brand spark plugs) and the ignition coils with Bremi ignition coils before it had Delphi ignition coils.
Now let me explain the problem:
When I turn on the car I leave it on for a while to get warm and adjusted then as I head off to drive when I try to accelerate it doesn't accelerate as it should, sometimes the RPM goes from 3 to 4 when I'm only going at 10 to 20 mph, it has also turned off on me while I am at the stop light, or the car feels like it's revving up, while I am at a stoplight.
I don't know what causes the problem or what happened but can someone please help me and tell me what could be the problem I've read the codes and they deal with the hose or the fuel tank but I'm not quite sure what to do or what I should fix so if you have any suggestions or anything in mind please let me know and I will try to figure it out and post back an update of what I've done and when the problem fixes.
Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2014, 02:00 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
The first set of codes are related to misfires, have you ever had your HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) replaced? Have you had your timing chain/tensioner replaced? Almost everyone has had timing chain/tensioners replaced, I'd be surprised if you haven't had it replaced yet. Have you ever heard a rattling sound on cold start-up? Sounds like a camshaft position slow response and or camshaft position sensor.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:25 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
The first set of codes are related to misfires, have you ever had your HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) replaced? Have you had your timing chain/tensioner replaced? Almost everyone has had timing chain/tensioners replaced, I'd be surprised if you haven't had it replaced yet. Have you ever heard a rattling sound on cold start-up? Sounds like a camshaft position slow response and or camshaft position sensor.
Thanks for your response!
The HPFP has not been replaced but the tensioner has, the timing chain hasn't been replaced yet. Where orWhat is a camshaft position sensor?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:00 AM
bardot861
1st Gear
Re: Mini Cooper SR56 2008

Hello:

Two issues come to mind. Believe there is an extended factory warranty with regard to HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump). Also - I am told because of the particular direct injection design - of early R56 engines, they are prone to carbon build up on valves. The above two items can play havoc with proper engine performance. If either or both need attention - car will not accept fuel properly w codes indicating misfires, etc.

Hope this helps. Crushed walnut cleaning of valves to remove carbon.
Barry

Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Auto or manual? The "revs climb but I don't go any faster" is a little worrying if you have an auto--it is very worrying if you have a manual transmission.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bardot861
Hello:

Two issues come to mind. Believe there is an extended factory warranty with regard to HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump). Also - I am told because of the particular direct injection design - of early R56 engines, they are prone to carbon build up on valves. The above two items can play havoc with proper engine performance. If either or both need attention - car will not accept fuel properly w codes indicating misfires, etc.

Hope this helps. Crushed walnut cleaning of valves to remove carbon.
Barry
Thanks! I was thinking of the same, so do you think I should change the fuel pump? Would cleaning the carbon with seafoam help?

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Auto or manual? The "revs climb but I don't go any faster" is a little worrying if you have an auto--it is very worrying if you have a manual transmission.
Luckily I have an automatic but it does contain a manual setting if id like to use it, so I'm not sure if I should still be even more worried about it. Lately it's been fine, I've noticed that when I drive through the streets the problem begins, but when I drive freeway, there is no sign of the car acting up.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The "manual setting" is not relevant in this particular case. The automatic does not have a clutch like the manual does, so it's not slipping to produce that behavior. Automatics have some "slip" built in, so they can do that without it being a symptom of a $$$ clutch replacement being needed. The flappy paddles just tell the regular automatic trans when to shift; they don't go through some completely alternate mechanical process. So you're fine on that.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by [My_Mini]
Thanks for your response!
The HPFP has not been replaced but the tensioner has, the timing chain hasn't been replaced yet. Where orWhat is a camshaft position sensor?
Something is out of sync here, your automatic transmission may not be engaging relative to the engine speed. As for the timing of your engine to be right the ECU needs to know the crankshaft position for proper timing in relation to the camshafts which are tied together via the timing chain.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
The "manual setting" is not relevant in this particular case. The automatic does not have a clutch like the manual does, so it's not slipping to produce that behavior. Automatics have some "slip" built in, so they can do that without it being a symptom of a $$$ clutch replacement being needed. The flappy paddles just tell the regular automatic trans when to shift; they don't go through some completely alternate mechanical process. So you're fine on that.
Glad to hear that, so it's not the case for now. I'm going to change the fuel filter, and clean up some of the carbon built up on the motor, also check the HPFP, I've been looking over videos with the same problem, and it does have sort of the same sounds when I turn on the car, as shown in the videos.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Something is out of sync here, your automatic transmission may not be engaging relative to the engine speed. As for the timing of your engine to be right the ECU needs to know the crankshaft position for proper timing in relation to the camshafts which are tied together via the timing chain.
So you're suggesting to change the timing chain?

Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM
bardot861
1st Gear
re: mini cooper S R56 2008

Thanks! I was thinking of the same, so do you think I should change the fuel pump? Would cleaning the carbon with seafoam help?

Seems like you are concentrating on what you can do yourself - to alleviate symptoms. That is fine - if you are up to the mechanical challenge. My impression re Sea Foam - was that jury was out as to whether the treatment produced more than exhaust smoke. With regard to known issues with early R56 S motors. Timing chain/ guides/tensioner and hpfp issues - Mini by now is only too familiar with these matters and has developed procedures where they can determine whether chain or other parts need to be replaced. On my second go round with the former - they measured the timing chain to see whether it was within / or without correct length. (this is starting to sound like a B'way musical).
Thinking some of these issues to be tackled right -will require a skilled shade tree mech - with some specialized equipment at hand. These issues may be why that French amalgam motor is out now?
Good Luck
Barry

Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Update***

Here's an update for you all
I've found that there was a recall for the HPFP in these types of cars,
As I entered my VIN number into their web page to find any other recalls, it did. The auxiliary water pump was one of them. I quickly made an appointment and today I finally left the car at the dealer to be inspected. They have 3 recalls in total. 1.auxilary water pump. 2.timing chain 3. Turbo heat shield.
They changed those at no cost. However, What is really causing the problem, is the carbon build up. It needs a thorough cleaning. So that's what caused the multiple misfires. Thanks for the help guys! Really good suggestions

Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Here's an update for you all
I've found that there was a recall for the HPFP in these types of cars,
As I entered my VIN number into their web page to find any other recalls, it did. The auxiliary water pump was one of them. I quickly made an appointment and today I finally left the car at the dealer to be inspected. They have 3 recalls in total. 1.auxilary water pump. 2.timing chain 3. Turbo heat shield.
They changed those at no cost. However, What is really causing the problem, is the carbon build up. It needs a thorough cleaning. So that's what caused the multiple misfires. Thanks for the help guys! Really good suggestions
Even if your MCS has had a walnut blasting at least once, you'll still see a 5-10 hp gain. It was night and day difference when I had the dealer perform the walnut media blasting, the engine was breathing much better!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Jackaz195
1st Gear
What website did you enter your vin to bring up recalls? I have an 08 macs and can only see the aux water pump recall??

Old 08-16-2014, 05:03 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Even if your MCS has had a walnut blasting at least once, you'll still see a 5-10 hp gain. It was night and day difference when I had the dealer perform the walnut media blasting, the engine was breathing much better!

That's what the guy said at the mini dealer, it will be like brand new, which I believe, so I can't wait for the process to start, only things is it's too expensive so I'll wait a couple of weeks to get my money together and then take it once again to the dealer.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:06 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jackaz195
What website did you enter your vin to bring up recalls? I have an 08 macs and can only see the aux water pump recall??
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/en/owners/tools-support/recall.html

Here's the site, I know it only mentioned one recall, though when I made the appointment the guy told me about the other two recalls that needed immediate attention. I suggest you make an appointment to find out more. But probably you might have the same recalls on your car like mine.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/en/owners/tools-support/recall.html

Here's the site, I know it only mentioned one recall, though when I made the appointment the guy told me about the other two recalls that needed immediate attention. I suggest you make an appointment to find out more. But probably you might have the same recalls on your car like mine.
Mini USA has a tight lipped recall that not even my local Mini dealership confirmed to me until someone with more authority was brought into the picture, it covers the heater core getting HOT near the gas pedal and the panel. Almost burned my foot in sandals!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
Mini USA has a tight lipped recall that not even my local Mini dealership confirmed to me until someone with more authority was brought into the picture, it covers the heater core getting HOT near the gas pedal and the panel. Almost burned my foot in sandals!
You're right! Their online system doesn't say much, but you do have to talk to them personally to get much out of them. I also feel like I was experiencing the same thing when it came to the heat near the gas pedal, it was getting pretty hot.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
You're right! Their online system doesn't say much, but you do have to talk to them personally to get much out of them. I also feel like I was experiencing the same thing when it came to the heat near the gas pedal, it was getting pretty hot.
I'm just going to wrap up the inlet and outlet pipes with exhaust wrap and call it a day.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:07 PM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
I'm baaack!

Hey guys! So I have another problem, after the many fixes of my car had, a new code came on, and I do have the CEL on. The code is p2770, I've read it deals with the O2 sensor but I'm not sure where I can find it, what it deals with; and there are formus where they start talking about it but go off into another topic. So what do you guys think? Let me know

Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The first set of codes you provided have a look below, then after that is the other codes you provided and is what I expected. I believe I was dead on about the tranny issue. While your last code I wasn't able to match exactly I believe it's close enough.

P0300 - Cylinder Misfire, Several Cylinders
P0300 - Combustion miss, multiple cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
P0300 - Combustion miss, multiple cylinders: Increased exhaust emissions
P0300 - Combustion miss, multiple cylinders: Increased exhaust emissions after start sequence
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - Combustion miss, cylinder 1: Fuel injection deactivation
P0301 - Combustion miss, cylinder 1: Increased exhaust emissions
P0301 - Combustion miss, cylinder 1: Increased exhaust emissions after start sequence
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Combustion miss, cylinder 2: Fuel injection deactivation
P0302 - Combustion miss, cylinder 2: Increased exhaust emissions
P0302 - Combustion miss, cylinder 2: Increased exhaust emissions after start sequence
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Combustion miss, cylinder 3: Fuel injection deactivation
P0303 - Combustion miss, cylinder 3: Increased exhaust emissions
P0303 - Combustion miss, cylinder 3: Increased exhaust emissions after start sequence
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Combustion miss, cylinder 4: Fuel injection deactivation
P0304 - Combustion miss, cylinder 4: Increased exhaust emissions
P0304 - Combustion miss, cylinder 4: Increased exhaust emissions after start sequence.
P2762 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Range / Performance
P2763 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit High
P2764 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low

Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 AM
[My_Mini]
2nd Gear
The first set of codes you provided have a look below, then after that is the other codes you provided and is what I expected. I believe I was dead on about the tranny issue. While your last code I wasn't able to match exactly I believe it's close enough.
Thanks for that!
Actually rereading what I wrote the code is p2270, not 2770, sorry for the mix up.