R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Changing options

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing options

So I have a 2012 countryman and can change a bunch of options using the button on the end of the turn signal. My wife has a 2013 cooper s and using the button on the end of the turn signal the only option she has is to adjust the rain sensitivity wipers. I looked at her manual and it's the same as mine and gives same instructions, but when I do the same thing on hers it does not give same options. WTF?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Depends on how the MINI is optioned, I assume. Bought my 11 MCS used, saw the buttons on the steering wheel for the phone/bluetooth, and assumed that I had that. Nope. Just the buttons....no ability. That kinda sucked....A LOT!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM
unibus_driver
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by countrymanman
So I have a 2012 countryman and can change a bunch of options using the button on the end of the turn signal. My wife has a 2013 cooper s and using the button on the end of the turn signal the only option she has is to adjust the rain sensitivity wipers. I looked at her manual and it's the same as mine and gives same instructions, but when I do the same thing on hers it does not give same options. WTF?
It's not immediately obvious, but a careful reading of the Owner's Manual prefaces all of the option settings with the line:

"1) switch on the ignition"

Possibly a few of the options can not be set unless the engine is actually running.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Interesting, unibus driver. On my 11 MCS, some options cannot be accesed with the engine running, only with the ignition on and not running. My wife actually helped me discover this. I am not good at reading instructions, therefore, I enlisted her help. Sometimes it takes some help from those who actually READ instructions. Not my strong point, LOL.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:37 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
When my wife gets home tonight I'll try to figure it out again. So no one has had the issue of NOT having the options come up from the button on the turn signal? Guess I may have to swap cars for the day when I have time off and head too the dealership.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM
spingq
4th Gear
hopefully im not pointing out the obvious, but as far as I know, there is a button on the turn signal stalk (left side of steering wheel) for the on board computer, which all Mini Coopers should come with stock, and then there is the button on the wiper stalk (right side of steering wheel) that controls the automatic wiper feature, which is part of the premium package I believe. Are you sure she is pressing the right button? (and by "right button", i mean the one on the LEFT side of the steering wheel)

Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spingq
hopefully im not pointing out the obvious, but as far as I know, there is a button on the turn signal stalk (left side of steering wheel) for the on board computer, which all Mini Coopers should come with stock, and then there is the button on the wiper stalk (right side of steering wheel) that controls the automatic wiper feature, which is part of the premium package I believe. Are you sure she is pressing the right button? (and by "right button", i mean the one on the LEFT side of the steering wheel)
The button on the right (wiper side) only turn the rain sensing on, it is not how you adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor. That is still done using the button on the left (turn signal). My problem is that the rain sensor sensitivity is the only option that I'm getting. I can't adjust the autolock feaure, the three blink turn signal, the all unlock on single fob press, etc. In my countryman I can change all these options with no problem. On my wife's hardtop it's not even showing any other options.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 PM
spingq
4th Gear
Originally Posted by countrymanman
The button on the right (wiper side) only turn the rain sensing on, it is not how you adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor. That is still done using the button on the left (turn signal). My problem is that the rain sensor sensitivity is the only option that I'm getting. I can't adjust the autolock feaure, the three blink turn signal, the all unlock on single fob press, etc. In my countryman I can change all these options with no problem. On my wife's hardtop it's not even showing any other options.
hmm, I've never seen any of those options available while the car is on and engine running, which is the only time I've ever played around with that button. i suppose it might be possible the car just needs to be in what used to be considered "ACC On" or in our case, with the fob pushed in, but before starting the car, as the others in this thread have suggested.