R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tire Pressure Sensors Keep Going Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Unluckycharm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Sensors Keep Going Off

I have a 2011 MINI cooper S. Recently, whenever I get into the car and drive off my TPMS goes off on all four tires. So I reset them and drive on and they don't come back on until either I let the car sit for a couple of hours or when I drive again the next day. All four tires have enough air in them so it's not because of that. Now the weather has been chilly here lately with the nights dropping into the 60s but I've never had it before where all four sensors go off on me every single day. This has been going on for about a week now. This leads me to believe that the sensors are bad, but I find it hard to believe that all four would go bad at the same time. It drives me insane that I have to keep resetting them every times I drive.

Has anyone had any issues like this before and can confirm for me what is the problem. Is there a fix? Is this a fix that I can do on my own? If not can it be done without breaking my pockets? I would take it to the mini dealer but I am out of warranty and I know that it will be an expensive fix.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They only detect that all four are within one psi or so of each other, not the actual psi #. At least, I think the 2011 models are still like that even though they show you a picture of each tire on the error. Mine seems to go off when the variation is just under 2psi between the highest and the lowest pressure. If you have a different type of tire, you might have even closer margins than that to deal with.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Unluckycharm
1st Gear
Hi thank you for responding. Im not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please explain that again.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Unluckycharm
1st Gear
Hi thank you for responding. I'm not sure I understand what you mwan. Can you please explain that again.

Last edited by Unluckycharm; 07-29-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car TPMS may be different than yours, but mine only detects the variance between all the tires.
32,32,32,34 and it will set off the alarm, for instance. No question there is enough air in all tires, but the extra two psi in one tire will set it off.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Unluckycharm
1st Gear
ok i see what you are saying. i've never experienced that kind of problem before. I'm sure at one point all four of my tires were off. But i will check it in the morning.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
6000pounds
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockAZ
My car TPMS may be different than yours, but mine only detects the variance between all the tires.
32,32,32,34 and it will set off the alarm, for instance. No question there is enough air in all tires, but the extra two psi in one tire will set it off.

I've never heard of that before. Right now when I get into my car at startup I notice my tire pressure light for a couple seconds then it goes off. I went to the gas station and matched all 4 tires and still the same thing. I get an exclamation point on my tach so I checked the info. It said "active tire pressure warning" which doesn't make any sense.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Mini Union
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unluckycharm
I have a 2011 MINI cooper S. Recently, whenever I get into the car and drive off my TPMS goes off on all four tires. So I reset them and drive on and they don't come back on until either I let the car sit for a couple of hours or when I drive again the next day. All four tires have enough air in them so it's not because of that. Now the weather has been chilly here lately with the nights dropping into the 60s but I've never had it before where all four sensors go off on me every single day. This has been going on for about a week now. This leads me to believe that the sensors are bad, but I find it hard to believe that all four would go bad at the same time. It drives me insane that I have to keep resetting them every times I drive.

Has anyone had any issues like this before and can confirm for me what is the problem. Is there a fix? Is this a fix that I can do on my own? If not can it be done without breaking my pockets? I would take it to the mini dealer but I am out of warranty and I know that it will be an expensive fix.
Did you upgrade your wheels recently? Sometimes, you need new seals when tire places swap sensors.