R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mother F%^*(@$ Hummers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
reidtc82
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mother F%^*(@$ Hummers!

This is both a rant and me looking for information and parts.

This perpetually intoxicated trust fund kidult in my apartment building backed her Hummer into my 2010 Mayfair S yesterday morning while I was at work then drove off for the day . Whats worse is that the damage is so small I'm considering not making a claim to keep my premiums down. I talked to my insurance company and they said get some quotes before deciding on a claim. My deductible is $500. I don't know what unit she lives in but will be leaving a note next time I see her vehicle.

Basically the damage is a completely cracked upper chrome grill lip and two dents, well one dent and one -negative- dent... on the edge of the hood. The dent is the size of a nickle and the paint is totally scraped out of it. The other "dent" is the same size but sticks out about 6 inches away, probably more of a crease from the first dent being pushed in.

So the chrome bit is an easy fix and on first glance I see OEM units going for around $57 online retail (I'm sure here or on eBay I could find a cheaper one - PM me if you have an R56 upper chrome grill lip available).

The dents I'm not so sure about. I'll probably just learn to live with them and grab a touch up paint kit to prevent rusting where the paint scratched off. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding popping the dent out though? The raised portion I can probably take care of with hockey puck and a small soft rubber mallet. The dent part is right on the edge of the hood though. It's in the area where the sheet metal folds under next to the chrome part. Its also sharp enough to be creased a little. I don't really want to get into using Bondo. Being on the crease, I'm not sure how to pop it out. I can't really access it from the back side as the mounts for the grill are there. Of course that may be incorrect as I haven't taken anything apart yet.

I'll probably just live with the dents, but its just one of those things. I'd almost rather her have kept going so I could make a big claim and just have it taken care of. I live in the city so this kind of crap is bound to happen, it's just annoying.

Also, does anyone know of a quality touch up kit for the Mayfair? Hot Chocolate Metallic, A88 I think.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
See if you can find a good paintless dent removal guy in your area, you can likely get that fixed for much less than your deductible.

I'd just get it fixed, though. It'll cost you more than your $500 deductible later when it comes time to trade the car in.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 AM
reidtc82
Neutral
Thanks for the reply.

As I was typing I remembered paintless dent removal and will be looking into that. Of course I will need paint as it was scraped out of the dent by her damn tow hook (what urban trust funded intoxicated kidult needs tow hooks on a vehicle marketed to suburban soccer moms? I correct myself, the perpetual intoxication and operation of a vehicle may one day lead the authorities and wrecking crew to use them - I hope).

Thinking of airbrushing it with quality matched primer, base, and clear with a little extra clear to cut down/sand out the over spray. Maybe some spot filler to smooth out the ridge from the chipped paint after sanding. Ive got plenty of other nicks on the car, but no dents, that I may work on too.

Good point about the value of the vehicle. I do intend to keep this one for a while though. Even willing to stretch its life with a fresh motor in a few years when I get up in miles. I'll probably keep it so long the value will drop to 0.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I agree with Zillon, take it to a paintless dent removal company. Many of those places also do paint touch up, you won't know unless you go for an estimate.

Dave

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So she hit you while you didn't see it, and then she came home and told you?
Maybe she knew you were at work and just waited to tell you later, instead of "just drove off".

There's so much more going on in your feelings here than can be allowed to post......time constraints!

Take a deep breath.
Since you know she did it, your words, ask her to either pay or help pay.
Your view of her available funds would imply she can afford to help!

Not sure why YOUR insurance would be needed, since you state SHE hit you, unless you also know she doesn't have insurance coverage!

GL

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a grave sin to hit a Mayfair Edition MINI.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:18 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Like bubba said if she hit your parked car, her insurance would be paying for it. Tell her to pay for it with her cash or her insurance companies.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 PM
JaysCoop07
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
So she hit you while you didn't see it, and then she came home and told you?
Maybe she knew you were at work and just waited to tell you later, instead of "just drove off".

There's so much more going on in your feelings here than can be allowed to post......time constraints!

Take a deep breath.
Since you know she did it, your words, ask her to either pay or help pay.
Your view of her available funds would imply she can afford to help!

Not sure why YOUR insurance would be needed, since you state SHE hit you, unless you also know she doesn't have insurance coverage!

GL

Ditto what bubba said.

how exactly do you know if she did it? could it be someone else? if you know for sure she did it, was there any witness (proof)?

if i knew the person for sure hit my car and i have proof. That person is getting a few choice words and i am not paying for anything. Im pretty sure that counts as a hit and run as well. let your local police know write up a report. for sure it should be a crime to hit a beloved MC's

may the force be with you!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a big difference in knowing who hit your car and proving they hit your car. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 PM
SpiderKnight
3rd Gear
Hmm, where to go with this. Did you confront her about this? Does she even know? Take pics of her car and yours and see if you can prove to yourself that the damage originated from her backing into you. Hopefully there is a conjugate mark on her car.

If you both agree that it was her fault and she is willing to pay, take it to the shop and get it done. For a small blemish, I can't see it going higher than $500 dollars so she might want to just pay out of pocket rather than get insurance companies involved. In my state, the offending party pays, so no problem about it going on the victims record (unless hit and run) - if you do file a claim - your insurance would just contact her's and go from there.

"This perpetually intoxicated trust fund kidult.." She sounds hawt!!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 PM
u238
3rd Gear
I had the same thing happen to my car. The hood was scraped and slightly dented, the grille was cracked and the bumper was scuffed. It was estimated at $1600 to repair.