R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 Brake Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Evan Maraszek
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Brake Replacement

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a complete brake kit on eBay for a 2007 base hatchback. The problem is, there are no kits listed for that model year. By looking at other websites, I believe I am correct in saying that the 2007 uses the same brakes as the 2009-2011 models, meaning that the 2007 base hatchback should have the same brakes/rotors as, say, a 2009 base hatchback.

For some reason, all of the eBay listings I have come across indicate that the kit they are selling is for 2009-2011 base hatchbacks and convertibles as well as the 2011 Countryman. If I put on 2007 as the model year, I only see brakes for convertibles, S-models, and JCW equipped models.

So, if I buy a kit that is supposed to fit a 2009-2011 base hatchback, it should fit the 2007, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:20 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
When you say 'complete' brake kit, are you talking just pads and rotors, or pads rotors and calipers?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Forget ebay. You obviously aren't getting a good feeling for what is or is not being offered and you may be getting a pig in a poke. MINI vendors know the product and have the experience. Check with Way Motor Works or any of the other vendors listed here. They often have great package prices for kits along with a wider selection of brands and disk and pad types. Besides, if you have any issues after the sale, you've got someone to deal with.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Forget ebay. You obviously aren't getting a good feeling for what is or is not being offered and you may be getting a pig in a poke. MINI vendors know the product and have the experience. Check with Way Motor Works or any of the other vendors listed here. They often have great package prices for kits along with a wider selection of brands and disk and pad types. Besides, if you have any issues after the sale, you've got someone to deal with.
Brake pads and rotors are generic parts, and as long as you know the specs and roughly what you want, you can score great deals from either eBay or Amazon.com. When I comparison shop, I always always find a better price on Amazon. Amazon also has a feature that validate auto part fit to your car, and usually facilitates free returns.

If you do NOT know what you are looking for, consider packaged deals from online MINI-focused retailers. But do shop around. Unfortunately, you will usually end up paying 2x or 3x the going market rate for the generic brake pad supplies. Sadly, WMW is no exception.

a

Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Evan Maraszek
Neutral
Thanks guys, I should have specified I'm talking about brakes and rotors only.

I'm actually a member over at the Jaguar Forums and a lot of us use these eBay kits on the Jags. I've yet to hear a complaint, everyone is always raving about them. The Mini is another family member's car that needs a brake job, so I figured I'd use a similar kit to the one I used on the Jag. They're warrantied and are a great deal. The kit for the base hatchback is only $130.

When I looked at parts sites for the brakes, there were kits at around $300-$400 that specified they were good for 2007+ base hatchbacks. That is what lead me to believe that the eBay kits were just incorrectly marked and that a 2009 kit would fit the 2007.

I'm just trying to figure out if anyone knows of a reason that there would be a difference among R56 Base hatchback brakes between 2007 and 2009-2011 or if they are all the same, before I purchase the kit. If no one is sure, I may still act as the guinea pig and let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Evan Maraszek
Neutral
I just wanted to confirm, in case any one else runs into this issue, that the 2009-2011 kit does indeed fit the 2007. So if you can't find a kit for a 2007, look for 2009-2011 instead.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Jeffrey Dalnekoff
Neutral
Somewhat related to this thread;
I am in need of front pads, and it was suggested by a friend that I get rotors too anyway.

I've got a 2011 Cooper, and for what it's worth, with 15 inch tires, with the original front brakes (I'm at 37k miles)

I noticed on rockauto.com when I entered my info, it suggested a variety of pads/rotors with sizes ranging from 280mm, 294mm, and 316mm.
I don't really know what is on my car now, though I took a ruler to it earlier and I think they're either 280mm or 276mm rotors.

I'm no car expert, but are different size rotors easily interchangeable, or should I be concerned with getting the same size I've had. I've heard of people having concerns with 316mm rotors on a 15 inch tire.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Dalnekoff
I am in need of front pads, and it was suggested by a friend that I get rotors too anyway.

I've got a 2011 Cooper, and for what it's worth, with 15 inch tires, with the original front brakes (I'm at 37k miles)

I noticed on rockauto.com when I entered my info, it suggested a variety of pads/rotors with sizes ranging from 280mm, 294mm, and 316mm.
I don't really know what is on my car now, though I took a ruler to it earlier and I think they're either 280mm or 276mm rotors.

I'm no car expert, but are different size rotors easily interchangeable, or should I be concerned with getting the same size I've had. I've heard of people having concerns with 316mm rotors on a 15 inch tire.
Replace your rotors with the same size rotors. Unless you are make some other modifications, no other rotor size would be appropriate.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:08 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Dalnekoff

From this page on ECS website: http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_R...aign=postreply

Looks like it's 280mm in the front and 259 in the back. I wouldn't change the size because the Cooper S front rotors are 294mm and I don't think 15" wheels clear them.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by 3lusive
From this page on ECS website: http://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_R...aign=postreply

Looks like it's 280mm in the front and 259 in the back. I wouldn't change the size because the Cooper S front rotors are 294mm and I don't think 15" wheels clear them.

Those are correct 280 for the front and 259 in the rear for the Justa Cooper = ( Non S ) people. Cannot just swap for a bigger size.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With 15" wheels, there's nothing you can do but stick with the rotor size you already have - anything bigger will not fit under your wheels.

For anyone with a justa Cooper on 16s or 17s, it is a simple swap to move up from 280mm Cooper discs to 294mm S discs. The calipers are the same and the hydraulics don't even need to be touched in the changeover, which is no more work than putting on new discs and pads.

It needs:
- S discs (294mm);
- new S pads (they are different from Cooper pads);
- two new S caliper mounting brackets;
- a brake wear sensor.

The brackets cost me about $100 each from my Mini dealer.

The end result is S brakes on a Cooper. They don't feel much better and they look just the same but they don't fade easily as Cooper ones do.

I have a photo guide available if anyone wants it.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 PM
ultrakill
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan Maraszek
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a complete brake kit on eBay for a 2007 base hatchback. The problem is, there are no kits listed for that model year. By looking at other websites, I believe I am correct in saying that the 2007 uses the same brakes as the 2009-2011 models, meaning that the 2007 base hatchback should have the same brakes/rotors as, say, a 2009 base hatchback.

For some reason, all of the eBay listings I have come across indicate that the kit they are selling is for 2009-2011 base hatchbacks and convertibles as well as the 2011 Countryman. If I put on 2007 as the model year, I only see brakes for convertibles, S-models, and JCW equipped models.

So, if I buy a kit that is supposed to fit a 2009-2011 base hatchback, it should fit the 2007, correct?

Thanks in advance!

I don't get this strange obsession people have with always changing rotors. Rotors should last a lot longer than 7 years. Unless your pads are completely worn out and you are starting to rub and warp your rotor, there is really no need to change it.

Just upgrade to performance pads and be done with it.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The rotor material also gets worn away. The proper way to do it is to measure the rotor thickness on the worn part, and see how that compares to the wear spec. If it's too thin, replace them. If it's close to the new spec, keep them. If it's on the edge, think about it and do what you feel is correct.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
From what I have seen, European cars seem to have softer metal used in the makeup of thier brake rotors. I have seen huge wear on rotors even with stock pads. In these days of saving weight=saving fuel, brake rotors have been reduced to minimum thickness in production, often times eliminating the process of machining or "turning" rotors down to a smooth, level, unwarped surface again when replacing pads. I would suggest replacing not only brake pads, but also rotors, especially if there are "ridges" on the rotors where the pads don't ride, or if there are deep grooves on the actual contact surfaces between the pads and rotors. Be aware that even if the rotors can be machined to be within minimum thickness specs, the heat dissipation characteristics of the rotors may be lost, and they may warp and/or crack WAY sooner. I have been there before, not on my MINI yet, but on my other rides. And I have seen this on many other cars, not just cars of European manufacture.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I purchased Mini's sport drilled & slotted rotors and it didn't take long for the grooves to form! The iron used to make the stock rotors are softer than my Charmin Ultra Soft, my next brake job will be with either stronger rotors and pads or a BBK! All German cars have soft rotors and pads, seen Mercs and BMW's ($100K+cars) even with large rotors the size of Cosco pizzas have grooves and brake dust all over the wheels!

Does anyone manufacturer rotors that aren't soft for MCS's?

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-26-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
I figure it's all about getting thru the warranty period without brake noise. Beyond that? No idea. I bought a set of front pads/drilled and slotted rotors for my 94 Pontiac Bonneville from a company on eBay years ago, and they rock! I think it was BrakeLabs. Not sure if they offer stuff for MINI's. All I know is that those pads lasted pretty well, and the rotors did not warp like the previous NAPA rotors had. I even turned a pair of thier rotors on a brake lathe, and those are still in use. Yeah, they dust more, but that is most likely a consequence of the drilling and slotting. Ceramic pads may cut down on the dusting, or at least make it not look so "dark" on the wheels.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
So, stupid question I guess but I've never done a brake install so this looks like the place to ask.
If someone was planning to upgrade to a Big Brake Kit is it necessary to purchase (2x) kits? Everything I look at [JCW, Brembo, DT, etc] only shows (2x) caliper kits.

What am I missing cause $4000 for brakes seems absolutely insane to me...

Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr_Romulus
So, stupid question I guess but I've never done a brake install so this looks like the place to ask.
If someone was planning to upgrade to a Big Brake Kit is it necessary to purchase (2x) kits? Everything I look at [JCW, Brembo, DT, etc] only shows (2x) caliper kits.

Typically a kit is going to be one car. The JCW/Brmebo kit from the dealer for example is just south of $2k. That is 4 calipers and pads, and rotors. Some kits are just front, or rear. Some race application conversion are real pricey, but there is some good stuff out there ~$2K.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
Typically a kit is going to be one car. The JCW/Brmebo kit from the dealer for example is just south of $2k. That is 4 calipers and pads, and rotors. Some kits are just front, or rear. Some race application conversion are real pricey, but there is some good stuff out there ~$2K.
Thanks Mike. I dig the look of the Big Brakes but I'm not sure I can get my wife to release $2K just for that.

The brakes on my 2008 are crazy sensitive (compared to my Sonata & Sedona mini van anyway) so I can't imagine them being even more sensitive.

Can the existing caliper housing be removed and painted? Any idea what kind of paint would be used? I've only seen them in red & black so I figured it was some kind of special expensive paint. I'd love to paint them to match my Laser Blue Metallic paint job but I assume that would be pretty expensive.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes it can be cleaned and painted. G2 caliper paint. Forget the duplicolor junk. Or you can get a set of calipers powder coated.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
It might be a little overkill but if you want to really clean your calipers, get them sand blasted as the coating will adhere much better. The BBK's you have more options if you want to have a huge selection of pads to choose from, the StopTech Trophy kit for front only looks insanely beautiful and are the only forged calipers out there!

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear

While the JCW kit is all four corners, kits like Brembo/Stoptech etc are typically priced per axle, so yes it would be $4k+ for the entire car.

I can't imagine anything short of a full race car needing more brakes than the S or JCW package w/ good (not fleabay) pads and rotors.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Dr_Romulus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bleedsblue
While the JCW kit is all four corners, kits like Brembo/Stoptech etc are typically priced per axle, so yes it would be $4k+ for the entire car.

I can't imagine anything short of a full race car needing more brakes than the S or JCW package w/ good (not fleabay) pads and rotors.
I agree. I'm looking for something aesthetic more that track ready. The brakes on my S are super sensitive as it is.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I agree. I'm looking for something aesthetic more that track ready. The brakes on my S are super sensitive as it is.
Agreed I just can't stand the dust, going to clean them today because I'm tired of looking at them! Usually when I gas up my Mini I also get it washed, before I'm finished with a tank of gas my wheels are blacken by all that dust!

That's the only complaint I have about the brakes on my MCS.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 Brake Replacement