R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Project Mini

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 PM
diplomat818
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Mini

Ok I might sound like a newbie, so I apologize in advance.

I have a 08 MCS and looking to get some more power by more power I want to get into the mid to high 300's. I have been looking into getting a ATP gt28 turbo kit, but not sure if that's the right route. Below are the current motor upgrades I have in my mini.
  • Akrapovic Turbo Downpipe
  • Borla Cat Back
  • Forge FMIC
  • DDM Race Intake
  • Alta Access Port

Now with the Alta Access port I was running stage 3 91oct but, for some reason my boost would cut off when flooring the car. So I have tuned it to Stage 2 but now having the same problem (not as bad) . Any ideas or suggestions on reason for the boost cut off would be appreciated.

But really whats the best route to go in my situation for more power.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not do the GT28. Also talk to John at Battle Tuning. Also come out to the Alpha MINIs meet at MINI of Ontario on Sunday at 10am.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 AM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by diplomat818

I have a 08 MCS and looking to get some more power by more power I want to get into the mid to high 300's. I have been looking into getting a ATP gt28 turbo kit, but not sure if that's the right route. Below are the current motor upgrades I have in my mini.
  • Borla Cat Back
  • Forge FMIC
  • DDM Race Intake
  • Alta Access Port

Now with the Alta Access port I was running stage 3 91oct but, for some reason my boost would cut off when flooring the car. So I have tuned it to Stage 2 but now having the same problem (not as bad) . Any ideas or suggestions on reason for the boost cut off would be appreciated.

you will need a custom tune and maybe an AEM stand alone ECU or a megasquirt PnP if its available for the mini if the stock ECU can not handle the tune, just to list off supporting mods you'll need

3in turbo back
bigger injectors(550cc)
better BPV(the stock one will not last)
bigger radiator
better radiator fans
oil cooler(this might not be necessary but id install one just in case)
clutch & Flywheel(Exedy stage 2)
HD CMC and Slave Cylinder(again might not be necessary but the clutch might be too much for the stock hydraulics)
LSD(to put down the power)

There might be more i am not thinking of that you might need but that should be the majority of what you would need to swap in a GT28RS, although if you are gonna do all that, might as well go bigger, a 16g MHI or maybe a 18g MHI turbo

Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

• Borla Cat Back
  • Forge FMIC
  • DDM Race Intake
  • Alta Access Port

You can't expect the Mini Cooper S's turbo to give you full power all at one time, turbos are exponential meaning the slope gradually rises. Now a supercharger can give you that full boost power all at once, the superchargers slopes are much steeper. Since I have been driving my MCS I have noticed that when I push it hard and push the pedal to the floor you lose boost even while rpms climb, you must find that happy place to where you're not pushing the pedal to where you're losing boost but enough to maintain optimal boost.

You can forget about 300 hp with the stock bottom end, modded GP2's don't even get close to 300 hp unless you're spending serious money and happen to know a person that can push things further. You'll like the Akrapovic downpipe and the Borla Cat Back exhaust, they make a good match for each other. I purchase my Borla S-Type exhaust once I heard it used with the Akrapovic downpipe or any other catless downpipe!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....run 93octane.....sounds like you are getting pinging.....

Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear

• Borla Cat Back
  • Forge FMIC
  • DDM Race Intake
  • Alta Access Port

Not saying 300+hp isn't possible but it takes a lot of work. Keep in mind this is a 1.6l 4 cylinder you're talking about. That kind of power won't be achieved on stock internals either. You will have to build your engine and you probably will need custom parts. Custom big head, new cams, probably custom injectors, gaskets, and probably custom pistons and boring out the cyclinders to bring the car to a 1.8 or 2 liter. Then you need to figure out who will be able to tune for those things. Alta and that Accessport aren't going to be the solution for your goals. Look to JM Turbo Coopers for your Turbo. They have a K04 turbo that is a much better option than that Garrett turbo. You'll also need a 3" catless downpipe and a much more efficient intake than the DDM. Might even have to get a custom intake as well. You will for sure need an oil cooler and probably methanol injection. New spark plugs/ignition coils as well.

Do you have a clutch that will hold this power? What about the axles, are they strong enough to hold as well?

I would look at the links below as a guide for your project if you're serious about reaching somewhat close to your power goals:

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272/ducks-mcs-17554/

Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM
diplomat818
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mcameron
....run 93octane.....sounds like you are getting pinging.....
Thats what I am running currently stage 2 93oct :/

Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 PM
diplomat818
Neutral
Not sure why i would be pinging, or what set up i should do

Old 05-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by solskjaer1999
Not saying 300+hp isn't possible but it takes a lot of work. Keep in mind this is a 1.6l 4 cylinder you're talking about. That kind of power won't be achieved on stock internals either. You will have to build your engine and you probably will need custom parts. Custom big head, new cams, probably custom injectors, gaskets, and probably custom pistons and boring out the cyclinders to bring the car to a 1.8 or 2 liter. Then you need to figure out who will be able to tune for those things. Alta and that Accessport aren't going to be the solution for your goals. Look to JM Turbo Coopers for your Turbo. They have a K04 turbo that is a much better option than that Garrett turbo. You'll also need a 3" catless downpipe and a much more efficient intake than the DDM. Might even have to get a custom intake as well. You will for sure need an oil cooler and probably methanol injection. New spark plugs/ignition coils as well.

Do you have a clutch that will hold this power? What about the axles, are they strong enough to hold as well?

I would look at the links below as a guide for your project if you're serious about reaching somewhat close to your power goals:

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272...nls-r56-25947/
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f272/ducks-mcs-17554/
I thought we were passed this argument of the fact that a 1.6l 4 cylinder can't pull that kind of power. There are Honda B16s pull 800+. On stock internals you would be able to run it but, for how long no one knows. This car can pull 300+ it is just unlocking the damn ecu and being able to tune more aspects of it(namely the damn boost cut of 20psi). Once we are passed that and we can get a steady stream of people will to build the Prince engine it will get easier and cheaper. It is the fact that no one wants to spend the money or time because most MINI owners don't know the first thing about what it takes to really get power out of a care. Plus they just want stupid showy mods.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:44 PM
ThEgMaNofCourse
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

• Borla Cat Back
  • Forge FMIC
  • DDM Race Intake
  • Alta Access Port

the mods you've listed will support Stage 1 with a FMIC at best .. anything more than that an your putting a strain on your turbo as its trying to produce more boost than it can