R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Headlights and Rally Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
CDSurfPhotography
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights and Rally Lights

Hello, I currently own a 2006 Tacoma that I been modding and I'm on the forum TacomaWorld so I know the rules of the forum. I tired using the search function but was just getting overwhelmed.

My girlfriend currently owns a 2011 Cooper, and she has been asking about upgrading her lights. Her birthday is coming up this weekend so I want to get her a little something. I know with Tacomas most people suggest retrofitting your lights to become projectors rather than throwing in HIDs in Halogen housings. I don't have $800+ to spend on headlights so I threw HIDs in mine and angled them down and they seem to work fine without blinding people.

The question I have is she wants brighter headlights and she wants white so I assume HIDs are the way to go, near my house is the DDM Tuning warehouse so I can swing by there and get a pair if any of you guys suggest them and she also wants to add the rally lights to her grill. Through a little research I saw you need the brackets to mount to the grill and the lights can either be Hella, KC, etc.

I feel like I'm missing a lot so any info would be appreciated, I already got her a gift so I'm not trying to spend a ton, but she is wiling to spend some money too so any info helps.

Pic of my trucks lights not the cleanest but they do the job
Name:  IMG_9361_zps6d510c60.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  75.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9359_zps4aef10f5.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  57.4 KB

Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a few kits on ebay that people have bought.. Last I checked I was looking at a kit for about $145 But that kit was made by wipac. But it came with everything and was just like the factory MINI driving lights.. There are some that have bought others that are cheaper but they will have to chime in here to help you. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:18 AM
two250
4th Gear
Personally I don't like HID's in non-projector lenses, I did PIAA's in my MINI's stock housings. I really like them and they are a bit brighter and whiter than stock.

Headlights: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ight_bulb.html

Fogs: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...t_h8_bulb.html

Brackets for lights: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop..._brackets.html

This link also had a couple bumper mount light kits, everything you need is in here: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ing-tint-lens/

On a different note I have those same Hellas on my truck, 10 years old now and still kicking! They have been tossed around on 3 different vehicles too.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM
barnoun
3rd Gear
I ran DDM HID in my halogen housings for a while. I aimed them correctly but I ultimately went back to upgraded halogen bulbs, Xtravision bulbs in my case. I missed having a high beam and they were too bright as well (they reflected off the ground and lowered visibility even though they were super bright and initially gave the illusion of more visibility).

Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 AM
BendersMINI
2nd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I wasn't thrilled with my stock headlights, either. Have/had HIDs in some of my other vehicles and really prefer them. Decided to try upgraded bulbs before shelling out for a HID upgrade on the MINI. PIAAs and Hoens (lots of threads here) and I've been very happy with the result. Not as great as HIDs, but I'm satisfied. Will likely stick with these and save ~$1k for something else. Obviously it's a personal preference, though.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM
CDSurfPhotography
Neutral
Thanks for the replies, probably will lean toward Halogen bulbs just brighter white ones because even when I'm driving her car its hard to see with the stock lights at night. As for the little rally lights i still need to do some research. She linked me these last night but honestly they just look like cheap Chinese lights that will probably stop working in a few weeks. I want to keep it white all in the front with headlights fogs and driving lights

Link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161160149409

Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 PM
CDSurfPhotography
Neutral
So my girl ended up purchasing both the headlights and fogs, but in the process of installing I realized she only has the running lights and no fog lights. I wasn't aware that some came with fogs and some didn't so I need to find something to still throw more light since she just dropped $75 on the fogs that she can't use. And after installing she said they were fine but she just recently got an indicator light. What would cause this indicator light to come on?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:10 PM
two250
4th Gear
If she just recently got a "lamp out" indicator and not right after the install then it's probably a coincidence. Check and make sure all bulbs, even the license plate bulbs, are on.