R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Retrofitting DTC/ELDC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 AM
JPR18
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting DTC/ELDC?

I have a 2012 Cooper S that did not come from the factory with the optional DTC, which I understand also gave it the electronic locking differential control.

I autocross the car and have had some trouble getting the power down out of corners....even trying to feather the throttle I get some one tire fire....the inside tire will spin quite a bit.

Since DTC/ELDC has no mechanical parts (and instead relies on wheel speed sensors, yaw sensors, and the ABS system), is it possible to retrofit it to my car? Maybe via NCS Expert?

Thanks

P4C:

Old 04-19-2014, 01:22 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Spend your money on a mechanical LSD. The software is horrible. Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great question JPR, I'm interested in this as well. Not so much for the ELDC. More so for the DTC function and the ability to turn off the DSC for Auto-X and the track (if I understood these threads correctly).
Dynamic Traction Control
Which buttons do you have
Limited Throttle

My wife and I have been shopping for a Mini and found the packages change year to year, so DTC is not standard. An upgrade path (hardware or software) will definitely help simplify the selection process.

MarioKart, do you have any links with $/install time for 2012+ R56 mechanical LSDs? (I found a youtube video for an R53 but I don't know if they are compatible)

Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 AM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
The DTC was only a $250 option, now if I would guess its probably as simple as a function to code. If at all anything maybe new software to be added to enable it.

Also on a second note I drove a 20111 that actually said DTC on the button, but when I ordered my 2013 the button has changed and now just shows a car with squiggly lines and says off. The function has to be turned on by turning off DSC etc, but I do have it.

Last edited by M'Cooper; 04-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got it with my 2013. It's a much needed option IMHO, with this past winter it literarily made the car much easier to drive when it was slick out. The base level DSC is way too intrusive on the slightest wheel spin. It cuts engine power so abruptly it causes the engine to buck.

It's not a replacement for a physical LSD, but it's better than nothing.

Attached Thumbnails Retrofitting DTC/ELDC?-image-2705496242.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 AM
JPR18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Spend your money on a mechanical LSD. The software is horrible. Sent from my iPhone Office
I can't, I race in stock class....

Originally Posted by Mini Chris
Great question JPR, I'm interested in this as well. Not so much for the ELDC. More so for the DTC function and the ability to turn off the DSC for Auto-X and the track
You can fully defeat DSC for autocross and the track even if you don't have DTC. Just press and hold the off button.

I am not interested in the DTC, but just the ELDC, since I want both DSC and DTC off for the track.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 AM
Mini Chris
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JPR18
You can fully defeat DSC for autocross and the track even if you don't have DTC. Just press and hold the off button.

I am not interested in the DTC, but just the ELDC, since I want both DSC and DTC off for the track.
Thank you JPR, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It would be cool to know if a software update is possible, but as long as the driving "aids" are defeatable I can make due.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Probably want to check with your dealership.

I went back and forth on this for a while with my base cooper, ultimately deciding to go with it. I also had an 08 base cooper with purely open diff.

not too much difference - helps some though for coming out of the tighter corners at autox. that said, i suspect it would help much much more for the S. I'm speaking of the "full off" only elsd on mode, btw

Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 PM
breyfogle
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been googling a bit to learn what I can about DSC & DTC. My mini is a 2012 justa MCH, automatic, pretty much a base model. I can turn DSC on/off but I don't think I have DTC at all since nothing I do shows "TRACTION" on the tach.

The question is, when I turn DSC off do I have any level of DSC or is it totally off, essentially the same as when someone with DTC turns first DSC off and then turning DTC off ? Presumably, I would also have no ELDC.

Has anyone talked to their dealer about adding DTC & ELDC to a car delivered without ?

Curious ....

Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
JPR18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by breyfogle
The question is, when I turn DSC off do I have any level of DSC or is it totally off, essentially the same as when someone with DTC turns first DSC off and then turning DTC off ? Presumably, I would also have no ELDC.
Yes to both.

I haven't asked the dealer because I know what they'll say: No.

I need to find someone pretty familiar with NCS Expert, because if the option would be anywhere, it would be there.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
DSC is never totally off. It will turn on in extreme wheel lift situations. Or so national champion autocrosser Craig Wilcox was told by MINI.

EDLC is always on if you have it, but if you don't have DTC you don't have EDLC either.

http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...rformance.html

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
DSC is never totally off. It will turn on in extreme wheel lift situations.
I'm wondering what counts as extreme. Its never turned back on for us, and we're lifting rear wheels all over the place.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:44 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
As I recall, extreme as in 235 wide BFG r-comps on a 2008 S.

Here's where he said it is never really off in post #14:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...any-ideas.html

Old 04-23-2014, 01:41 PM
JPR18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
As I recall, extreme as in 235 wide BFG r-comps on a 2008 S.

Here's where he said it is never really off in post #14:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...any-ideas.html
I think that's just in extreme, rollover-type situations. Here's the car in question:

I've tried powering out of a corner where I got lift on the inside back tire, and did not have any traction/stability intervention. Maybe they changed it for 2011+

Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Maybe. Craig's car had a mechanical limited slip, JCW engine kit, and he was pushing the grip level with the wide BFG's and JCW suspension. In fact, he was using 245/40-17 for at least part of that time. And he was driving it hard enough to win often against all comers prior to the V6 Audi showing up in DS.

The original point was only that MINI told him that DSC is never totally turned off. Someone asked.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Carrboroman
2nd Gear
Hello, sorry to necrobump, but this seems the right place to ask...

Has anyone successfully identified the DSC module features to be enabled to get the e-diff?

I do have an automatic MCS 2013, and because there is no mechanical ATB/LSD option, my only choice is trying the e-diff and see how it feels or convert the car into manual (with again big questions mark about coding the DME/wiring)

I found something here about the e-diff codes:

http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-...w-actually-fun

but as they are trying to remove the eldc, not sure if it could be of help (i.e. missing parameters) ..and also, you know, it is not for specific for Mini, while I guess they share the same software structure?

I guess what I am looking for is "simply" to add the ATC sport package, which included ELDC too...any idea? Dealer is willing to help but has no clue about how to retrofit...

Thanks!!