R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tranmission fluid fubar

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need a second head on this thought. So I went to fill my transmission, long story short I lost a lot of fluid- I was able to measur out around 2 quarts hot 100+ degrees. So I poured 2 1/2 quarts back in which was slightly warm. Now I'm worried about under filling- but I assume it was more likely over filled, but it's better to run slightly overfilled. Nothing's come out of the breather hose though, when it's all warmed up and moving.

How much tolerance do this aisin autos have?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally if you have the incorrect fluid level it will shift very erratic. Slame shift, shift skip, or not shift at all.. The key to proper level is checking the transmission at the right temp. The Aisin autos are a very good transmission but the way to keep them like that is to do fluid changes!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Normally if you have the incorrect fluid level it will shift very erratic. Slame shift, shift skip, or not shift at all.. The key to proper level is checking the transmission at the right temp. The Aisin autos are a very good transmission but the way to keep them like that is to do fluid changes!
Yeah that's what I was going for but unfortunately I dropped the plug and it gushed out

I don't believe it is slam shifting. When accelerating it still shifts somewhat abruptly but I am stage 5 tuned so that seems normal. It is also still shifting. It may be "shift skipping" usually while coasting it's around 2 but now goes to 1.5k- 1k . If it is overfilled it should just come out the breather right? My cvt did that?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Originally Posted by micromini234
Yeah that's what I was going for but unfortunately I dropped the plug and it gushed out

I don't believe it is slam shifting. When accelerating it still shifts somewhat abruptly but I am stage 5 tuned so that seems normal. It is also still shifting. It may be "shift skipping" usually while coasting it's around 2 but now goes to 1.5k- 1k . If it is overfilled it should just come out the breather right? My cvt did that?
If it is over filled it would most likely push the oil out the vent tube. But honestly I would make sure your at the correct level. When you pulled the drain plug did you also remove the little stand pipe?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
If it is over filled it would most likely push the oil out the vent tube. But honestly I would make sure your at the correct level. When you pulled the drain plug did you also remove the little stand pipe?
Yep, I drained it first, then took the stand pipe out. Wait for the rest to come out.

But in theory though the pan only holds x amount though, and the fluid expands when hot. It seems like the average dump is about 2.5, so wouldn't that mean I lost 1/2 quart, if I poured back in 2.5 nuke warm wouldn't, it be overfilled when hot, which would simply push it out, and it hasn't so Id be okay?

The fluid already mixed for about 20 miles, so do I just leave it open it at about 110 degrees and have it pour out what it's going to pour out by means of that expansion?

Last edited by micromini234; 04-16-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
when you check your fluid you want to leave the little stand pipe in place. Once at the correct temp you want just a small stream to come out! Once that does then install the drain plug right away! the temp range should be between 95 to 133 degrees F. That's the temp my repair manual states. Once your in that range you just want a small stream to come out. Ive done a few of these and it has always worked great. But I also change my fluid to a synthetic ATF. Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
when you check your fluid you want to leave the little stand pipe in place. Once at the correct temp you want just a small stream to come out! Once that does then install the drain plug right away! the temp range should be between 95 to 133 degrees F. That's the temp my repair manual states. Once your in that range you just want a small stream to come out. Ive done a few of these and it has always worked great. But I also change my fluid to a synthetic ATF. Hope this helps!
By chance does the manual state a torque value for the drain plug? On that note I'm wondering if the fluid level check will still work, with 20 miles on it.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
The amount of miles on it doesn't matter.. It all relies on the temp. of the transmission. The drain plug is suppose to be torqued at 20 ft pounds. But they also recommend to install a new sealing washer. Good luck! What type of ATF did you use?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
The amount of miles on it doesn't matter.. It all relies on the temp. of the transmission. The drain plug is suppose to be torqued at 20 ft pounds. But they also recommend to install a new sealing washer. Good luck! What type of ATF did you use?
Alright I guessed and put 35 should be okay for now though. My plan is to put a new crush washer on the 3rd time I do it.

I used redline d4.

So when you say small stream, you mean like dripping, or still steadily coming out just not gushing.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
All the ones I have done are a very small stream. Its almost to the point of dripping. Hope that makes sense. Once you have done it a few times it really becomes very easy! I have a scan tool that reads the temp of the transmission.. But im not sure if all scan tools read the temp of the trans. Let me know how it all works out for you. But I think your on the right track! Good luck.