R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Mini Cooper S Headlight Washer Jets not working....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 PM
fotomatt1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper S Headlight Washer Jets not working....

I've had my new 2013 Mini Cooper S for a month. it's equipped with Xenon headlamps with headlamp washer jets. For some reason I suspected that they weren't working and today I asked my wife to watch while I activated the windshield washer jets, which as far as I know is also supposed to activate the headlamp washers. Nothing happened. I'll take it to the dealer and have them repaired, but just curious if there is something else I should be doing in order to activate the headlamp washers? Any advice? Thanks in advance...

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 PM
unibus_driver
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fotomatt1
I've had my new 2013 Mini Cooper S for a month. it's equipped with Xenon headlamps with headlamp washer jets. For some reason I suspected that they weren't working and today I asked my wife to watch while I activated the windshield washer jets, which as far as I know is also supposed to activate the headlamp washers. Nothing happened. I'll take it to the dealer and have them repaired, but just curious if there is something else I should be doing in order to activate the headlamp washers? Any advice? Thanks in advance...
Did you have the lights turned on when you were doing this?
Owner's manual says "When the vehicle lighting system is switched on,
the headlamps are cleaned at regular and appropriate intervals."

Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Lights have gotta be on.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
They have to be hooked up also. I have the xenon headlights also but the washer jets weren't bought as an option by the first owner so they weren't hooked up.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 AM
fotomatt1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tonyruggles
They have to be hooked up also. I have the xenon headlights also but the washer jets weren't bought as an option by the first owner so they weren't hooked up.
Hmmm....I thought that if they were there, they're enabled? Does that mean if they're not enabled the tubing and wiring for the jets isn't there?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 AM
doseddies
1st Gear
Also it's like every fifth time you squirt them window washers. Not each time. But yes the lights have to be on.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Coogz
Neutral
Originally Posted by fotomatt1
Hmmm....I thought that if they were there, they're enabled? Does that mean if they're not enabled the tubing and wiring for the jets isn't there?
I would like to know this as well...Upon realizing what that chrome half circle was inside the headlamp trim of my Xenon's, I got real excited, only to realize there is no tubing connected to the nozzles. What exactly would I need to enable them? The whole pump, or reservoir? Or just tubing? I drive a 2011 MCS.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Tonyruggles
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Coogz
I would like to know this as well...Upon realizing what that chrome half circle was inside the headlamp trim of my Xenon's, I got real excited, only to realize there is no tubing connected to the nozzles. What exactly would I need to enable them? The whole pump, or reservoir? Or just tubing? I drive a 2011 MCS.
Somebody might correct if I'm wrong but I'm sure you will have to have programing donefor control of the jets. Then also of course plumbing to the jets themselves.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Womanual
2nd Gear
I think the washers come with the cold weather package but totally sure. I got Xenons but not that package. Didn't even know what those silver things were till someone else pointed it out to me. You can easily look to see if they are connected to anything. It was obvious mine weren't.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 AM
2014-JCW
1st Gear
Ok, I know this is an older post but I didn't know if I should create another duplicate post.

My wife just bought a new 2015 Cooper S roadster. We wanted the Xenon headlights because it was bright and had headlight washer jets. I have a 2014 Cooper Countryman JCW with Xenon light and headlight washer jets. The question is this both of our Mini's have the cold weather package and xenon headlights. My MIni has the headlight washer jet, but my wife's Mini does not. Looking at Mini USA website under 2015 Mini Cooper S roadster features it says cold weather package comes with headlight washer jets if equiped with Xenon headlights. However, her Roadster S does not have the headlight washer jets. I know this because there is no washer jets under those chrome covers. There is just a spring holding the little chrome cover to the headlight trim ring.

She is a little disappointed because she feels she paid for something that she didn't get. If the Mini USA website didn't list this as one of the features of cold weather package and xenon headlights she wouldn't care too much.

Thanks all, any input would be great.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 AM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as long as u got the factory installed xenons (35w), u will have the headlamp washer as its a legal requirement in europe.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:12 AM
u238
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by a2oc
as long as u got the factory installed xenons (35w), u will have the headlamp washer as its a legal requirement in europe.
Nope. The washer might be installed in the headlight, but none of the piping is there.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Last time I looked at the configurator for the Roadster the washers were an option on the Xenons. They used to be standard but that seemed to have changed.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014-JCW
Looking at Mini USA website under 2015 Mini Cooper S roadster features it says cold weather package comes with headlight washer jets if equiped with Xenon headlights. However, her Roadster S does not have the headlight washer jets.
Sounds like it's dealer time.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM
2014-JCW
1st Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
Last time I looked at the configurator for the Roadster the washers were an option on the Xenons. They used to be standard but that seemed to have changed.
I thought that too. But when I look at mini USA website the headlight washer jet is listed as one of the features of my wife's roadsters (if the vehicle has cold weather package and xenon lights.) I'm going to ask the salesperson. Hopefully he will have something to back up why my wife's roadster s doesn't have those headlight washer jets.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Has anyone ever seen those things in action? I can't imagine they do much good just spraying water without something wiping the headlight glass itself.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
JR2012IBB
2nd Gear
I had them on my Audi and disabled them. They are marginal in terms of effectiveness and the amount of fluid they blast out runs the fluid down pretty quickly. I prefer to keep the sprays up on the windshield where it actually does some good.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Has anyone ever seen those things in action? I can't imagine they do much good just spraying water without something wiping the headlight glass itself.
They spray a lot of water at a good pressure and volume. My headlights have always been clean. They also empty the tank in double quick time.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:09 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, I just keep my car washed and never have needed to clean my headlights.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
I must be doing something wrong, I just keep my car washed and never have needed to clean my headlights.
What he said. This is a Mini, not a jacked up F-150.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Here ya go -

Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Guys,

On my R53 the headlight washer on both sides pop out as they should, but only one side (nearest the fill bottle) sprays well. The other side just makes a dribble.

Any tips on getting this working?

I guess it's clogged but repeated use doesn't seem to clear it. It seems like the kind of thing that should have a service mode to clear the spray by prolonged pumping.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:43 PM
aabcds
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ssashton
Hi Guys,

On my R53 the headlight washer on both sides pop out as they should, but only one side (nearest the fill bottle) sprays well. The other side just makes a dribble.

Any tips on getting this working?

I guess it's clogged but repeated use doesn't seem to clear it. It seems like the kind of thing that should have a service mode to clear the spray by prolonged pumping.
Maybe a tube is loose or there is a leak?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:07 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
So, I also have Winter package, Xenon, the sprayer chrome flap, but no working sprayer. Is there anything I can do to make them work short of doing to the dealer? Thanks!

Old 07-28-2016, 12:10 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Wow most threads are about disabling them they make a mess

Quick Reply: R56 Mini Cooper S Headlight Washer Jets not working....