R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Found a new intake valve cleaner...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a new intake valve cleaner...thoughts?

I work at a popular US auto parts chain that I can't mention here. We just began stocking a new product that I thought the N14/N18 community may be interested in. Apparently CRC has been paying attention to the problems associated with DI engines and now has a spray designed to clean carbon and gunk off of the intake valves on direct injected engines. I want to try it but I am a little hesitant. The directions say to insert the straw in through the MAF and past the sensor and spray until the can is empty and that's pretty much it.

Anyone tried it or have any thoughts on it?

Here's a link to their product page:
http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05319

PS This is not an ad! I just found a new product that may benefit us all and I want to get some info. Just want to clear that up right away!

Last edited by Nealuss; 03-25-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:50 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. Looks to be a pretty easy application. Good find.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
I don't like being the guinea pig for things like this...but my car has close to 55K on it and I am thinking it may be time to do something even if it is an N18.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, 55k! I'm at 31.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I have heard of similar 'induction service.' CRC makes quality stuff, I will eventually try this.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:25 PM
flashlightface
2nd Gear
Cool- Thanks Nealuss-

I had my Mini into the dealer today in Raleigh for two recall items. The turbo oil line heat shield and the timing belt tensioner inspection. I came out with "no problems" at all- in one hour. My Aluminum head has the "drilled hole" in it making it more satisfactory (according to him) for normal wear and tear.

I asked the service guy "how do I know when my intake valves need walnut shell blasting?" He said when you get a "check engine light". I forgot to ask what code do I get, since I have the Scan Gauge II. I'll call him back tomorrow- and jot that code down.

I asked for his help to reprogram my computer to accomodate the after market cruise control I'm going to put on my Mini- He won't do it. He said they won't add, or fix, any items that didn't come from the factory. I felt like asking him if he could add mud flaps?

The guy in Baton Rouge, LA said "sure bring it in" (I called him when I was in Gulfport, MS for this past winter- I didn't have the Mini with me). That's a long ways to go for a computer reprogamming.

Cheers,

Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by flashlightface
I asked the service guy "how do I know when my intake valves need walnut shell blasting?" He said when you get a "check engine light".
Cheers,
I never got a code for for my valves. I took it in with 114K and got them blasted. The technician took before and after pictures and they definitely needed it, but he had seen worse with less mileage. I have never heard of getting a code for gunked up valves, but I haven't looked into it either.

I wonder how this cleaner will work going through the turbo. Will there be any ill effects caused by sending the solvent through the turbo and FMIC. I think I'll let someone with a warranty try it first.

And what is this drilled hole of which you speak?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
flashlightface, you may want to check with Luxury Auto Service/Euro Motors in Raleigh. They were able to do some computer updates for me when I got a walnut shell blasting done recently. They may be able to help you with that programming. If so, might be more convenient than LA.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Hell I'll try it. May be awhile until I get time.
I'll be taking the intake manifold off and spraying it on the closed valves I'll post pictures.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
+1 for Luxury/Euro Motors. They did my walnut blasting.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Staying tuned. My day may come (2012 with 48k, at the moment).

Old 03-26-2014, 07:46 AM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
I will be doing mine soon too. I want to have it done before MOTD. Just wanted to get a feeler thread out there first.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Melangell
Wow, 55k! I'm at 31.
I'm at 64k miles so I need this done soon by at least 70k.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
Looks tempting, alright. The proof of the pudding would be for someone to take some before/after pics with this product to verify that it really works, as suggested above. It's sure less expensive than a walnut shell blast.

Spridget

Old 03-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Danske
2nd Gear
What happens to all the carbon buildup this product removes? If it end up inside the cyclinder out through turbo past oxygen sensors to the tailpipe that would be a concern. I suppose it would be somewhat ok if it ended up in the oil and you did a oil change soon after using this product.

We need a few guini pigs to try it out and report back

Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does carbon build up occur in plain Coopers as well? I seem to see this topic relating to S types.

Does anybody have experience with fuel induction cleaning for Coopers?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Hayes
Does carbon build up occur in plain Coopers as well? I seem to see this topic relating to S types.

Does anybody have experience with fuel induction cleaning for Coopers?
This carbon problem affects direct injection engines like the MCS has. The non-S Cooper does not have direct injection.

I pour a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in our cars before each oil change. I feel it is a good preventative measure.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This worries me on our cars, considering ALL the piping on intake and such.

Plastic Safe No

Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Danske
What happens to all the carbon buildup this product removes? If it end up inside the cyclinder out through turbo past oxygen sensors to the tailpipe that would be a concern. I suppose it would be somewhat ok if it ended up in the oil and you did a oil change soon after using this product.

We need a few guini pigs to try it out and report back
It goes through the engine and out the exhaust, I'd prefer it be walnut blasted a millisecond before being sucked up by the high powered vacuum industrial! Why not go with someone that's the best in the industry for removing carbon in the combustion chambers? If you're looking to add to your gas tank BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner is the best at removing carbon in the upper areas of your combustion chambers!

I few thousand miles ago I had the walnut blasting done by my dealer, but after removing my spark plugs and having a look into my combustion chambers it look just like the pictures of before the media blasting! After three bottles of BG 44K it's almost completely free from oily carbon deposits! BG also has air induction service.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
This carbon problem affects direct injection engines like the MCS has. The non-S Cooper does not have direct injection.

I pour a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in our cars before each oil change. I feel it is a good preventative measure.
won't help carbon on back side of valves. No gas gets there, that's the root of the problem.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ashchuckton

The Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner is great for gas deposits but the heavy oily deposits require something else entirely! Our engines burn oil and it leave behind harder oil deposits that the Techron stuff will not remove, I've seen members remove the heads only to find heavy black carbon on top of their pistons when they were using Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner every oil change.

I think it's a waste of your money. It can't hold a candle to BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner, I checked my combustion chamber after every bottle and saw that it was actually removing more and more with each bottle of BG 44K. After my third bottle my pre-ignition or detonations are almost non existent. I'm actually going to buy another bottle today down the street before filling up later today, this should be my last bottle till my next oil change.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
...I wonder how this cleaner will work going through the turbo. Will there be any ill effects caused by sending the solvent through the turbo and FMIC. I think I'll let someone with a warranty try it first.
I think you add it to the TMAP location which is after the turbo and FMIC but before the throttle body/intake.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
The exhaust valves are also an issue, with build up that takes a jack hammer to get off and possible pitting on the seats (I have cleaned valves before and these are the worst). I have begun to think (guess) that the direct injection, in super lean mode is reacting with the oil vapor (possibly poor gas as well) and causing the toughest deposits Ive ever come across. Cleaning is good but prevention is better. Perhaps the rear PCV hose delete, a catch can, and a filter with a blow out valve. Again Cleaning is great but a lot of how an engine works happens at the valve seats and that area can be hard to clean.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Evolve Automotive
Banned
If you guys are interested I will have a shop we work with to try this on one of the valves. We do over 20+ cars a month for walnut blast and this would be something we can do before and after images of. I am not convinced that this will do it, but I can supply our shop with it and go from there.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Nealuss
3rd Gear
That would be awesome. I would love to see the results from a professional using this product.

Quick Reply: R56 Found a new intake valve cleaner...thoughts?