R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 TPMS Inactive - Cannot reset

Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
TPMS Inactive - Cannot reset

About a week ago, my TPMS inactive warning came on (yellow light).

This used to happen on a fairly regular basis with my snow tires for the last few years, when the temp would drop into the 20's, and then it would auto reset when the weather was back above freezing (usually on the drive home). Occasionally, it would go for a few days, then I would reset the system and it would be fine.

This year was quite cold, and I didn't get many warnings. Early last week, I got the inactive warning. The odd thing this time, is that I cant reset the system, and the temp has been into the 40's for a couple of days.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure where the sensors are located on the car, but I did wash the wheel wells and under the car last week, but I do this on a monthly basis normally.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
pokeyjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instead of waiting for the weather to warm up and the light to go out, you should be putting air in your tires. Have you checked the air pressure?

Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Yep, all were within 1 pound of when I put them on in November.

Mike

Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Cngizbleevng
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a way the TPMS can be disabled entirely?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:02 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cngizbleevng
Is there a way the TPMS can be disabled entirely?
I do believe it can be coded out with NCSExpert.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mbwicz
About a week ago, my TPMS inactive warning came on (yellow light).

This used to happen on a fairly regular basis with my snow tires for the last few years, when the temp would drop into the 20's, and then it would auto reset when the weather was back above freezing (usually on the drive home). Occasionally, it would go for a few days, then I would reset the system and it would be fine.

This year was quite cold, and I didn't get many warnings. Early last week, I got the inactive warning. The odd thing this time, is that I cant reset the system, and the temp has been into the 40's for a couple of days.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure where the sensors are located on the car, but I did wash the wheel wells and under the car last week, but I do this on a monthly basis normally.

Thanks,
Mike

So you have 2 sets of tires and wheels right? Do both sets have the sensors in them? Has it ever worked or does one set always give an inactive reading on the tach display?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
My summer wheels have never had a problem. This is my third winter with my winter set of wheels (same TPMS for all years, 2nd set of tires). I have never had any air leak in the set of snows (knocking on wood now).

For the previous 2 winters, I would get inactive warnings pretty consistenly when the temperature would vary significantly. The warning would reset itself most of the time. This year the weather was cold, we would go several weeks without being above freezing. The only time this winter that I received a TPMS warning was a little over a week ago, and I cannot reset it. Tire pressure has remained where I set it when I installed the tires this season.

I figured that I wouldn't worry too much about it, because I will be putting on the summer wheels soon (hopefully). I thought that if the warning went away with the other wheels, then it would confirm that one of the sensors in the winter wheels is not working.

Thanks for any insight.

Mike

Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
I bought the winter wheels used, I assume they were from a 07 or 08. I got them from a lease turn-in in 2011.

I have read that the batteries in the sensors are only good for 5 years, so that is another potential failure mode........

Have fun,
Mike

Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 AM
moonriver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should bring your car to check where they plug computer to check car's fault.
Possible one or more (four) of Tire pressure sensor (four unit in wheel) or transmitter (four unit in fender section) failed to function. Any one of them fail, you will not be able to reset it, it becomes INACTIVE until you replace.
After check, you will know exactly which one has failed (front/rear - left/right)
My car had the same problem before, I replaced one tire pressure sensor transmitter (about 64$).

See picture of fault reading for referencing - Tire pressure sensor transmitter front right failed.

Attached Thumbnails TPMS Inactive - Cannot reset-image.jpg  

Last edited by moonriver; 03-26-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had this problem on my wife's MINI. I bought used sensors from a friend at a good price to use in her snow tire wheels. Had the MINI plugged into the computer at the shop & found out the LF wheels sensor was DOA. New sensor & all is well.

These sensors use batteries & are reaching the age where they are starting to wear out. It is a shame the batteries are not replaceable. This seems like a great opportunity for a company to rebuild the old dead sensors.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Well, putting on my summer wheels (just in time for another snowy day this week) did not fix the problem..... for 3 days and 100 miles. This evening the warning light went out. I also reset the system successfully.

I'm glad that the system is operational. I'll swap out the sensors in the snow tires and see how they behave in the fall.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 04-16-2014, 05:21 PM
moonriver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tks for share!

Old 10-21-2014, 04:15 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Well, 6 months later, I finally took the advice of the other guys here. It turned out to be a bad receiver in the left front wheelwell. Both sets of wheels work, so it is good for me to know that the transmitters in the wheels work.

Have fun,
Mike