R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2007 Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:53 PM
kboothe94
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mini Cooper S

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S that I gotten back in May 2013. Right now the car has 72,400 miles on it and I have been having problems like crazy. First off I just had the valve cover gasket and some coolant stuff replaced. Then after that the damn car smokes out the hood while idling at a red-light. So when I went and got an early oil change at Mini yesterday I had them look at my car and they said that it needs a new Vacuum Pump and some oil filter housing gaskets. So I have priced it and everything. I am still driving it with it smoking when stopped, its kind of embarrassing being a nice car smoking but I honestly don't care. So I am at the point of saying F this POS because I am tired of putting money into it and getting an Infiniti G35 coupe, yes I am 19 and have a Mini Cooper S before anyone asks or makes a comment. What advice would you give me, should I keep the Mini and keep putting money into it, or get a different car?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
babysarah
3rd Gear
Haven't had any issues like this with my 07 MCS (knock on wood). Honestly, sounds like you bought the car with some existing issues that have only gotten worse over time. Even if you sell the car, it's not likely that you're going to get much from it unless you fix the issues first.

When the MINI runs great, it's an amazingly fun car to drive. It's a shame you haven't been able to experience that yet.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:31 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Most any car with that mileage will develop mechanical failures. And when it's a European car, the costs can quickly accumulate unless you are handy with tools. Not replacing that failing vac pump will lead to engine failure down the road and fairly quickly.

As far a for going to a G35 ? Well, one either prefers the connected feeling to the road one typically has with a German designed car, or you don't.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:10 PM
kboothe94
Neutral
Originally Posted by babysarah
Haven't had any issues like this with my 07 MCS (knock on wood). Honestly, sounds like you bought the car with some existing issues that have only gotten worse over time. Even if you sell the car, it's not likely that you're going to get much from it unless you fix the issues first.

When the MINI runs great, it's an amazingly fun car to drive. It's a shame you haven't been able to experience that yet.
I owe $8818 on my car my trade in is $8000 so I am loosing $818 and the down payment I put on the car when I first got it. I am just weighing my options. I love the car and I want to keep it. But I don't want to keep putting up with issues.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
If this is your only transportation and spending a few thousand dollars a year isn't compatible with your lifestyle, then you should get out now. My 2007 MCS has been in the shop for over 2 out of the last 18 months that I've owned it. Bought it used and it was in beautiful condition. But there's plenty of issues with this year and model. First year with a turbo (and mid-year too, I believe).

Fortunately I have other cars and my payment is low enough that the repairs aren't breaking the bank (yet). I don't recall being this attached to a car. In fact, I've asked these very same forums the exact same question you are. An awful lot said that they've never had a problem. Not sure how long they've owned their MINI though. My 2004 F150 has never had a problem, but that's 10 years and 80,000 miles. The "Trouble Free" forum thread has people with 3,000 miles crowing about how trouble free their MINIs are. Not exactly the sample group you'd poll for reliability.

- 2 water pumps
- thermostat housing
- HPFP (factory replaced)
- timing chain tensioner (factory replaced)
- ECU (that one hurt)

Good luck with your decision. The MINI is undeniably a blast to drive, but reliability and value is more important to enough people that the Camry is the top seller.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 PM
kboothe94
Neutral
Originally Posted by CmdZ
If this is your only transportation and spending a few thousand dollars a year isn't compatible with your lifestyle, then you should get out now. My 2007 MCS has been in the shop for over 2 out of the last 18 months that I've owned it. Bought it used and it was in beautiful condition. But there's plenty of issues with this year and model. First year with a turbo (and mid-year too, I believe).

Fortunately I have other cars and my payment is low enough that the repairs aren't breaking the bank (yet). I don't recall being this attached to a car. In fact, I've asked these very same forums the exact same question you are. An awful lot said that they've never had a problem. Not sure how long they've owned their MINI though. My 2004 F150 has never had a problem, but that's 10 years and 80,000 miles. The "Trouble Free" forum thread has people with 3,000 miles crowing about how trouble free their MINIs are. Not exactly the sample group you'd poll for reliability.

- 2 water pumps
- thermostat housing
- HPFP (factory replaced)
- timing chain tensioner (factory replaced)
- ECU (that one hurt)

Good luck with your decision. The MINI is undeniably a blast to drive, but reliability and value is more important to enough people that the Camry is the top seller.
I think I have decided to keep it. I just ordered a new vacuum pump. I'm like you my payments are really cheap and I love the car. I'm going to have to new vacuum pump put on and go from there.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:04 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
Just got burned by my MINI again. Carbon deposits are so bad that it threw a CEL.

Prescription:
- Rebuild head
- Remove, clean and polish the pistons

In three years, I have about $7K in repairs on a car with 77K miles. I only put 40K of those miles on it. If I had a crystal ball, I would have ran away at first sight.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:01 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CmdZ
Just got burned by my MINI again. Carbon deposits are so bad that it threw a CEL. Prescription: - Rebuild head - Remove, clean and polish the pistons In three years, I have about $7K in repairs on a car with 77K miles. I only put 40K of those miles on it. If I had a crystal ball, I would have ran away at first sight.
Have you tried an oil catch can or some other from of pcv modification ? Also, not to add power but for cleaning every once in awhile, if you find some one with a methanol system it might be worth investigating. I just built a motor and im adding methanol injection. Not just for power cause if you run the car hard enough for that system to keep coming on it'll blow up most likely. Cant run things wide open. But reason number 2 is for intake valve cleaning. But not for cleaning after 40k miles. Maybe like 1 a month. Every other month. Or shoot it once every oil change. Idk. Just an idea. Maybe itll bring up some other peoples thoughts

Old 03-29-2015, 06:57 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
I asked about an OCC, but my mechanic said it didn't really address the issue. I'm also a bit of a straight arrow when it comes to CARB/smog check stuff. That nixes the MIK as well.

My rebuilt head came back nice and shiny. Next is the piston heads. They're getting sent out for polishing.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Mini Cooper S-image-2014704460.jpg  
Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 PM
fs-07
Neutral
Holy crap! You are definitely scaring me with this thread. My '07 s is at 78k miles now and I still owe a little less than $10k. The only problem I am facing at the moment is that my car is burning oil. In less than 5k miles, I am on low already. Also, early on when I purchased the vehicle at 45k miles, I had to change the thermostat housing. Anyways, hopefully your R56 will get better after the rebuilt head!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:11 PM
blunderbird
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
start saving, my engine ate a valve around 77k. 07 S. Hate to say it, but browse the forums and you'll see these engines are essentially junk. Hopefully engine #2 has better luck for me, as I'm now upside down in the car and stuck with it.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:06 PM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
My car has 133k and is still tooling along just fine. I, too, have the oil leaking onto the manifold which I will be addressing (myself) soon - I wish I had seen it when I changed my clutch in February! Oh well...

Keep the car. It's a lot of fun (mine is, anyhow). Any car is going to cost you money once it has enough miles to be out of warranty.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
I have a 2009 Mini Clubman S. My previous car was a 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe. The Infiniti had a light valve cover gasket leak and the control arm bushings needed replacing by 90,000 miles, but it had zero drive train (engine, transmission) problems. If you love the Mini then repair it otherwise get the Infiniti.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:39 PM
shreksbrother
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by neonsteve
I have a 2009 Mini Clubman S. My previous car was a 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe. The Infiniti had a light valve cover gasket leak and the control arm bushings needed replacing by 90,000 miles, but it had zero drive train (engine, transmission) problems. If you love the Mini then repair it otherwise get the Infiniti.
...Or the Ford, Chevy, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, etc...

There are a lot of cars that are less expensive to maintain than the MINI. But scarcely one that is so fun to drive (for a reasonable price!). My BMW motorcycle certainly isn't the most inexpensive to fix, but I'm either a glutton for punishment or enjoy good craftsmanship.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:41 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Oh, and my Mini has needed new HPFP, timing chain and tensioner, thermostat housing, intake valves walnut blasted, and must have a small oil leak somewhere because I smell oil. The HPFP and timing chain were covered under warranty. For me overall it hasn't been too bad but it is disappointing.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:56 PM
CmdZ
2nd Gear
neonsteve: sounds like my experiences, except you didn't mention the water pump. The previous owner had it replaced and I had it replaced again 40K later.

The thermostat housing, water pump and regular decarbonization are unavoidable with the 2007.

Thankfully, after all the repairs I've made, my MINI is running like a new car. Powerful, responsive and damn fun to drive.