R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 HPFP how to???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Thor56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 HPFP how to???

I guys,

I've done a fair bit of searching and couldn't find anything, apologies if I've overlooked something.

Does anyone know if there is a DIY/how to write up on changing the HPFP on a R56 cooper s?

Has anyone done one themselves and did it take long/was it difficult.

Many thanks in advance.

Dane

Old 12-14-2013, 06:13 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a 10 year extended warranty if the hpfp is going out. Bring it to a dealership and it will be free.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Thor56
1st Gear
Thanks for your reply.

That explains why there isn't any posts on it, because they're covered under warranty!

I should have mentioned I live in sydney Australia and unfortunately MINI Australia haven't been as kind with their extended warranty :( I'll have to get it fixed at my expense.

Dane

Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
The warranty is limited to 120k miles. Mine failed only about 2,000 miles before that. But yeah, for the US with the extended warranty I don't think anyone has had to resort to passing for the repair yet, thus no DIYs.

I don't have it handy, but I do think replacement is covered in the Bentley manual. Could also try Pelican Parts - they have some good DIY guides, just not sure they'd have one for this.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:08 PM
jaxbchbum
1st Gear
Unfortunately, I believe my pump has died. Sadly I am over 200 miles from a dealer. So, I believe I will be forced to replace myself. If anyone has instructions, I would appreciate the help.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:08 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jaxbchbum
Unfortunately, I believe my pump has died. Sadly I am over 200 miles from a dealer. So, I believe I will be forced to replace myself. If anyone has instructions, I would appreciate the help.
If the towing charge is too much, I'd look into renting a truck and trailer to get it there. Just the part is like $800-$900.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor56
Thanks for your reply. That explains why there isn't any posts on it, because they're covered under warranty! I should have mentioned I live in sydney Australia and unfortunately MINI Australia haven't been as kind with their extended warranty :( I'll have to get it fixed at my expense. Dane
Don't you have rights as a consumer? A warranty is in place for a reason and if you're under warranty Mini Australia doesn't have the right to deny you your warranty!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Check the parts price before you decide. I'm betting the pump is in the $250 price range.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Don't you have rights as a consumer? A warranty is in place for a reason...
The warranties are not world-wide. It may be that MINI of Austraila hasn't extended the HPFP warranty the way that the US MINI organization has.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in Australia as well bought my car second hand read about the timing chains failing so rung up the closes MINI dealer and asked if it had been replace under warranty and the nice man on the phone said yes. Well you can imagine my delight and asked when was it done because all repairs come with a two year warranty, hold on there said the nice man on the phone were you the owner of the car when the repairs were done to which I answer was no, then NO ! warranty for you buddy said the nice man. Ah BMW always standing by their product and workmanship, well in Australia anyway. My advice buy the pump on line and install it yourself it will probably cost Quarter of what BMW will charge you !

Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Sandwalk3r
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm being told by my dealer that the HPFP warranty extension is only for certain VIN numbers, and that mine is not eligible.

So I'm in the same boat looking for DIY help to replace the pump. The part is < $200, but the process looks pretty complicated.

Anyone know of any guides?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I waited and watched through the shop window when mine was changed out for free at about 86K. Took about 20 minutes for the actual replacement. Removal of the air box and air pipes is required. doesn't look too be too bad of a job.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MikewithaMini
I waited and watched through the shop window when mine was changed out for free at about 86K. Took about 20 minutes for the actual replacement. Removal of the air box and air pipes is required. doesn't look too be too bad of a job.
All we really need is a tool to unclip the fuel line coming from the gas tank, it looks like it requires two pegs on top and bottom that need pushing it to get it off.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Sandwalk3r
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
All we really need is a tool to unclip the fuel line coming from the gas tank, it looks like it requires two pegs on top and bottom that need pushing it to get it off.
I have the Bentley Publishers service manual, and they say that you're supposed to have the MINI special tool 13 0 250.

Looks like you put it on the fuel delivery line, lock it into place, and then disconnect the fuel delivery line.

The procedure looks somewhat involved, but not impossible to manage.

I can't find the MINI tool anywhere though.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:25 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Anybody ever hear of a HPFP seizing up the intake camshaft destroying the engine just like some vacuum pumps have done?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandwalk3r
I have the Bentley Publishers service manual, and they say that you're supposed to have the MINI special tool 13 0 250.

Looks like you put it on the fuel delivery line, lock it into place, and then disconnect the fuel delivery line.

I just completed a major rebuild on my '07 MCS without this special tool. The HPFP input fuel line can be disconnected at the pump using only an open end wrench. No matter how it's disconnected, expect to mop up fuel. Replacing the line from the HPFP to the intake manifold is recommended by the Bentley manual, but others have re-used their old one without any problems. I suggest you remove (not just loosen) this coupling BEFORE removing the HPFP, to minimize any damage. It should be a comparatively simple task to DIY, if this is the only part being replaced.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sandwalk3r

I have the link to the tool the dealer uses to remove the quick disconnect fuel line, here's where to buy it and here is the picture of the tool.

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I just completed a major rebuild on my '07 MCS without this special tool. The HPFP input fuel line can be disconnected at the pump using only an open end wrench. No matter how it's disconnected, expect to mop up fuel. Replacing the line from the HPFP to the intake manifold is recommended by the Bentley manual, but others have re-used their old one without any problems. I suggest you remove (not just loosen) this coupling BEFORE removing the HPFP, to minimize any damage. It should be a comparatively simple task to DIY, if this is the only part being replaced.
So what all did you do to your engine for your rebuild?

Regards,
Systemlord.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
So what all did you do to your engine for your rebuild?

Regards,
Systemlord.
Sent the head and both manifolds to Thumper. The head inlet and output ports have been enlarged slightly (not part of his original TPR1 mod) for improved flow. I now have a matched set.

Also installed a set of CP Carrillo rods and pistons, 10.5:1 CR & 77.0 bore --- no more fear of blowing them with >25PSI boost. Just finished break-in and starting to set the MBC. Last setting was 28PSI --- working up to 30. Not going for sustained boost, just quick bursts on the street --- so far! Eventually, I'll have it on a track (i.e., Thunder Hill Raceway) with several minutes of high boost.

Changed the valve cover again --- last Feb at Thunder Hill Raceway, my un-shielded turbo melted the valve cover, causing a serious oil leak. Fab'd a new partial shield, and added asbestos wrap to attempt a fix. Looks mickey-moused, but if it works ---

Thor56, keep us posted on your HPFP replacement --- who did it, how it went, tools used, etc.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 AM
bluesmooth
Neutral
Originally Posted by Thor56
I guys,

I've done a fair bit of searching and couldn't find anything, apologies if I've overlooked something.

Does anyone know if there is a DIY/how to write up on changing the HPFP on a R56 cooper s?

Has anyone done one themselves and did it take long/was it difficult.

Many thanks in advance.

Dane
I found a DIY thread.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/273872-diy-hpfp-replacement-how-to-replace-high-pressure-fuel-pump-on-mini-cooper-r56-jcw.html

I have to do mine myself. 130k so no warranty and it's the second one.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Re linked it for you: the link was not clickable. At the end I linked the other HPFP that cam into affect in N18 13517592429 up to 3/2012 . The N14 one is 13517588879

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-r56-jcw.html

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172