R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JM Turbo Coopers the real deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
JM Turbo Coopers the real deal?

Hello all,

recently I have been doing my research to see what kind of items and products JM Turbo Coopers have been producing and it seems to me that it looks like they might be making quality products for all sort of MINIs. Please let me know if any of you have been working with them or bought products from them, I am curious about them. Thanks!

Here's their website, and they're based from Arizona!

http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/default.html

Old 03-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
They seem legit IMO. I asked them about the R56 and turbo upgrades and this is what I got.

250hp is easily achieved by an
aftermarket intake, our inter-cooler, our biggest turbocharger, our
exhaust and our tune. We have seen a 25whp to 30whp increase just by
adding one of our turbos. One of our customers with a JCW and only
an intake and S42HP is pushing 215whp (247hp) and after our r34x he
was pushing 245whp (277hp). This was all done without retuning the
ECU (he does have JCW tune).

To answer your question The biggest
turbo we offer is the E45HP and the E45R. The E45HP is our quick
spool K03 and the E45R is our high flow K04. The E45HP doesn't
require any tuning to see more HP but if you want to see a
substantial difference it is recommended. The E45R does require a
tune unless you have our R35x 4” exhaust then it will spool up
quick enough to prevent a boost deviation error. However if you want
to see big HP than it tuning is recommended.

As you may already know the OEM 37mm
turbo and restrictive intake and exhaust system on the mini restricts
your air flow to 12psi. And when you reach the high RPMs the torque
really drops off. Before upgrading our R56 we could only get 12psi
at 2000rpms but about 5k it started to drop to 9psi. Even after we
upgraded the turbo we could only hold 12 psi through the RPM range.
Even if we tuned the ECU to 19 it would jump up to 19 then start to
drop back down to 12 at 4000rpms. Once we upgraded the intake and
exhaust we could hold just about any boost pressure we wanted at any
RPMS. In fact after installing our SRI (short ram intake), S42HP,
and R34x exhaust we were reaching 15psi at 3000rpms to 6000rpms with
no tuning.

We also can maintain a high level of
reliability since we are not changing the OEM designs other than
making them larger to flow better. Even with our turbochargers we
don't change them in any way but by changing the turbine sizes and
adding a 360 bearing. All of our upgrades are interchangeable with
the OEM units, so you shouldn't have any issues with them as long as
you follow our installation recommendations.

Any way if you want 250whp here is what
you need

E45HP (if yo do street driving or
commuting) or E45R (if you do a lot of racing, track, or highway
driving)

Quick spool K03
http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/JMTC--Extreme-45-K0-3-Turbo.html

High flow K04 (fore sale 4/15/13)
http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/JMTC-E45R-K04-Turbo.html

Aftermarket Intake

Short Ram Intake
(still under development due 4/3/13) we remove the restrictive 4 feet
of intake pipe and replace it with an 8 inch intake pipe. I have it
on my personal car and love it because you can hear the turbo spool
and the BOV open. Although I think my gas mileage dropped because I
love to hear the turbo spool up, it sounds like a jet taking off when
I am making boost.

Inter-cooler

http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/N14-N18-Intercooler.html
Needed for high boost to prevent heat saturation of the intake system
and keeps incoming air cooler (= more power).

Exhaust

http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/R34X.html
(do you need 4” maybe not, do you want it oh ya!) the reason we
offer the 4” is because even a 3” catalytic converter will slow
the air speed reducing power. So we do our best to maximize the air
flow through the exhaust so we give you a 3 in 4 out catalytic
converter. For the off-road cars we offer a full cat delete.

Dyno or remote tune

We don't have this
on the website just yet but is available.

Please feel free
to contact us if you have any questions or need more information. We
will be happy to help you build your car to output the HP you want.

Thank you
Arric Johnson
www.jmturbocoopers.com
support@jmturbocoopers.com
480-559-5401

Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I am curious because maybe later down the road, I might get a bigger turbo, but for now I think I will live with the OEM one.

I think their FMIC is a decent design for those who don't want to pay so much!

I am curious however about their O2 sensor for getting rid of the CEL for a downpipe and their tune if it's good enough.

I will shoot them a call in a bit to find out more information on some particular products I like from their selection.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am verrry skeptical. I have no real basis for it, just a gut feeling. I'll wait to hear feedback from those with larger pockets and more trust then I posses.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
LiL Stinker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There FMIC looks just like the Forge unit I bought.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yeah, it does big time. But cheaper too. $549 for their FMIC, not bad. Thank God I got mine for $504 from Helix

Old 10-12-2013, 10:23 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Bump for an old thread... Any more information on these guys? Are they still in business? I set an email enquiry about their hybrid turbos and they never responded????

Old 10-13-2013, 12:48 PM
holkki
2nd Gear
Hi
I send email to Arric Johnsson/JM turbo coopers and asked a variety of turbo options to my MCS -07.He told the specifics of the options when I inquired about his construction of turbo.I definitely want turbocharger which reacts very quickly without no lag!He recommended S42HP turbo and at the same time I supply them the N18 exhaust manifold to ported.Quality of work was very good! Nothing trouble on installion,just "bolt on".They also provided the necessary seals and other components, such as a new oil pipe to turbo.I've driven with this setup about 4 months and n.5000 km without any proplems! The car runs very good,my turbo version is"Quick spool". Turbo raise the pressure rapidly,no lag, and keeps boost pressure high to redline.My full setup is S42hp,N18 ported exh.manifold,Akra downpipe,Forge fmic and bov,KN filter and Tune.Sorry,no dyno documents yet!.But anyway I recommend Jm turbo coopers,I had a good feel for how they work and served,delivery and shipping to Finland was fast!

Last edited by holkki; 10-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:24 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, until JM posts some dyno sheets, I am very skeptical. I have talked with RMW about it, and they are saying these turbos will put me into limp mode often. NEED DYNOS from the manufacturer! Although, I am very interested in their short ram intake; whenever they actually release it anyway.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:44 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by holkki
Hi
I send email to Arric Johnsson/JM turbo coopers and asked a variety of turbo options to my MCS -07.He told the specifics of the options when I inquired about his construction of turbo.I definitely want turbocharger which reacts very quickly without no lag!He recommended S42HP turbo and at the same time I supply them the N18 exhaust manifold to ported.Quality of work was very good! Nothing trouble on installion,just "bolt on".They also provided the necessary seals and other components, such as a new oil pipe to turbo.I've driven with this setup about 4 months and n.5000 km without any proplems! The car runs very good,my turbo version is"Quick spool". Turbo raise the pressure rapidly,no lag, and keeps boost pressure high to redline.My full setup is S42hp,N18 ported exh.manifold,Akra downpipe,Forge fmic and bov,KN filter and Tune.Sorry,no dyno documents yet!.But anyway I recommend Jm turbo coopers,I had a good feel for how they work and served,delivery and shipping to Finland was fast!
Sounds promising - are you running an aftermarket tune or boost controller?

Any codes from the running the hybrid?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a photo of their intercooler for $599.00 from their website.
http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/N14-N1...er-Cooper.html

It looks like the exact photo from a Ebay "from China" intercooler for $295
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-FRONT-m...88487a&vxp=mtr

Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Tiny Turbo Terror
1st Gear
Well i have their 45R ported turbo, and I don't go into limp mode and the turbo really kicks in at about 2,000rpm. I don't know why RMW is saying it will go into limp mode. I never went into limp mode even with the stock turbo at 22psi. My tune is from PAW and PAW also had my motor built with cams, mahle pistons, port and polish, porting matching, 2.5" catless exhaust, renstiell DP, intercooler is from PAW intake from NM, and Forge DV oh.... and balanced crank. the car is my daily driver and with no problems. and by the way, for those that say the auto trans won't hold well it does and the tune from PAW is a progressive tune and this turbo keeps it's boost till I pass redline 6200rpm. the car is an 09 34,500miles on her and I had the engine done complete at 27,600

Any questions please PM me. I'll be happy to answer any questions. I dynoed at 257WHP at 21.7psi

Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 AM
holkki
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by D-MAN
Sounds promising - are you running an aftermarket tune or boost controller?

Any codes from the running the hybrid?
Hi
No boost controller yet,now boost high peak is about 1.6 bar(23psi) but when I meet my "tunemaker" , I'm going to take it up.Last time when we meet,he told of the need to slightly modify the ignition timing form, in part due to the boost pressure lift.I think I can call it"custom made tune".
The only codes that have been, were before the turbo installation, and due to Akra high flow downpipe, no proplems after S42HP.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:26 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tiny Turbo Terror
Well i have their 45R ported turbo, and I don't go into limp mode and the turbo really kicks in at about 2,000rpm. I don't know why RMW is saying it will go into limp mode. I never went into limp mode even with the stock turbo at 22psi. My tune is from PAW and PAW also had my motor built with cams, mahle pistons, port and polish, porting matching, 2.5" catless exhaust, renstiell DP, intercooler is from PAW intake from NM, and Forge DV oh.... and balanced crank. the car is my daily driver and with no problems. and by the way, for those that say the auto trans won't hold well it does and the tune from PAW is a progressive tune and this turbo keeps it's boost till I pass redline 6200rpm. the car is an 09 34,500miles on her and I had the engine done complete at 27,600

Any questions please PM me. I'll be happy to answer any questions. I dynoed at 257WHP at 21.7psi
I think you should be at more power to the wheels than that. I'm at 255 on the stock turbo. I would kind of have an issue with only making 2hp more on the bigger turbo. Especially considering you have a built engine.

I don't mean to make fun, or start an argument. Just my $0.02

Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanschram
I think you should be at more power to the wheels than that. I'm at 255 on the stock turbo. I would kind of have an issue with only making 2hp more on the bigger turbo. Especially considering you have a built engine.

I don't mean to make fun, or start an argument. Just my $0.02
I agree that if your motor is built in every single way with all the supporting bolt ons, AND a bigger turbo/custom tune, you should be at a higher power level.

But with that said, different dyno's will show different results.

Compare a Dynojet to a Mustang and you'll see. Same cars on each dyno can see as much as a 20% difference in resulting numbers.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM
dodgyparker
2nd Gear
I have the E45HP from JMTC, with the install half done, along with ported JCW manifold, FMIC and 3" DP. Planning to start off with AP JCW Stage 2 or 3 tunes, but may need more tuning. Will post results when car is back together.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM
ryanschram
4th Gear
That is very true, especially, since him being in Miami, is basically at sea level.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Taking 2 identical cars and factoring in height above sea level, humidity, which type of dyno you tested on, the tune and tuners ability, different transmissions, rotational mass of moving parts, temperature that particular day etc etc etc can all yield varying results.

One thing I would prefer to keep in mind is that a dyno is a tuning device, not an ego stroker. Don't go to the dyno to push big numbers and show of, go to the dyno to fine tune your setup. Don't compare your numbers to other people's cars, compare the to your cars previous numbers to judge your progress.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Back to the topic at hand.....

I bought a JM42 in June from JMTC. Arric was great to work with. Gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Unit bolted right on. Not sure about the concern RMW might have, but I would ask if the concern is with JM product or any aftermarket product?

I didn't get a tune after I replaced my JCW turbo, (it failed), I bought the JM42 because of the cost was less than an OEM JCW turbo. Mine runs fine. Spools like the OEM, maybe sooner maybe not. I just don't care enough to try see if I should **** for distance or **** for accuracy. :-)

Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 AM
ryanschram
4th Gear
Good replies to everyone who is posting their experiences with JM. I am currently looking at either rebuilding my factory JCW turbo, or getting a new turbo from JM. I really appreciate the good reviews from everyone. I am really just trying to get results from anybody who has gotten a JM turbo. RMW is advising me otherwise, but my turbo seals are starting to go. So why replace when you can upgrade on a rebuilt, right?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 AM
ryanschram
4th Gear
so to 05r50, thank you, fJCW turbos are outrageously expensive.

Last edited by ryanschram; 10-18-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: screenname edit
Old 10-18-2013, 07:05 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
When RMW only has "it will throw codes and put you in limp mode" to deter you from it, and actual JMTC customers say that never happened, well there that goes... To me, if it's cheaper or even the same price to get a freshly built/rebuilt/inspected/warrantied bigger or better turbo, why the heck wouldn't ya? I'm planning on buying the single-mass conversion flywheel/clutch kit from them when my clutch bites the dust, and their turbo information and such seems pretty top notch to me. I wouldn't hesitate to take the chance on them.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
When RMW only has "it will throw codes and put you in limp mode" to deter you from it, and actual JMTC customers say that never happened, well there that goes... To me, if it's cheaper or even the same price to get a freshly built/rebuilt/inspected/warrantied bigger or better turbo, why the heck wouldn't ya? I'm planning on buying the single-mass conversion flywheel/clutch kit from them when my clutch bites the dust, and their turbo information and such seems pretty top notch to me. I wouldn't hesitate to take the chance on them.

I must say, I enjoy your input in any forum. That aside, I agree. If people who actually have the product enjoy what they bought and believe it to be good value then I think that is what counts. I also am doing one of JM's clutch kit conversions when my DMF and clutch kick the bucket. I think this is more of a leap in terms of the quality of JM's product and service. OS Giken is the only proven clutch kit, but JM's kits seem like they would work. I wonder if any one has any experience with JM's clutch kits that wouldn't mind imparting their thoughts...

Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM
dodgyparker
2nd Gear
The turbo I received from JMTC appears to be really nice and well done, but I am having some real fitment issues with the downpipe bought at the same time.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Do they manufacture the DP, or is it 3rd party? I'd get on the phone with them. A guy here had an issue with Evolve's downpipe fitment and they rectified it right away.

Quick Reply: R56 JM Turbo Coopers the real deal?