Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Phone, Ipod, and AUX not working on my R56

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Min Minseok Song
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just became an owner of 09 MCS with conv. package.
But I recognized that the phone, ipod and aux connectivity doesn't work as I cannot get into those menu even though it has usb/aux ports under the center controls, and it shows the icon on the menu oddly (as the picture shown, the letter comes up, but there's -(dash) where icons supposed to be).
Here are some pics of the menu.
Is there any clue how I can solve this problem?

Attached Thumbnails Phone, Ipod, and AUX not working on my R56-img_0856.jpg   Phone, Ipod, and AUX not working on my R56-img_0854.jpg  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The ULF module (bluetooth & USB) is not communicating with the head unit. There is a fiber optic ring (MOST BUS) between all of the entertainment devices (Changer, head unit, Bluetooth, HD tuner and sat tuner [if equiped]). So either the fiber optic ring has been broken or the module has gone bad.

BMW software diagnostics will have to be run to determine the cause of the failure. But make sure you check for any blown fuses, and if you are handy disconnect your battery for a half hour or so and reconnect.

If that does nothing you can (IMPORTANT: disconnect the battery first) and remove your driver side (left) seat and take a look at the connections on the ULF module inside the plastic compartment. Do not reconnect the battery until you plug the seat harness back in otherwise you will set an airbag light.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My stereo has done this and other strange things when the battery has run low or been disconnected during repair work. Try pulling the fuse for the stereo and the reinserting it after a few seconds. This will "reset" it in my experience. Just like with your home computer that gets buggy after a while, the stereo can get the same way and needs to restart. Try that first (or you could disconnect the battery temporarily) and see if that resolves the problem before you get too worried about faulty equipment.

If that does resolve your problem, you may have had a voltage drop at the battery....which may have been a fluke, or it might make me suspect that the battery might be starting to fail....just a possibility.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, I totally agree! Battery failure is also a likely cause for an issue like this.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Katomangt
Neutral
Hello I just bought my 2008 R56 and had the same problem, I change the battery for a new one and still doesn't work the USB + Aux, Is there any cable that I should check to see if is plug on...or I have to take to the dealer??? Please help because I live to far for the nearby dealer.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Min Minseok Song
Neutral
Resetting the Stereo

I tried to reset the stereo on my R56 by disconnecting batteries for more than 3 hours. It seemed like the OBC was reset, however, every single setting on my stereo such as preset radio channels and bass/treble settings remained unchanged. Of course the Phone, USB and AUX still did not work. Is there any other way to fix it? or even reset the stereo?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Mini_Men
Neutral
Hello, someone has solved this?? I have exactly the same problem.

Please help!!

Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM
fritzo
1st Gear
I'm having this same issue, so any solutions are appreciated! Trying to disconnect the battery tonight. Tried removing the fuses last night but no-go.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 PM
JawKnee
Neutral
I just bought a used 08 MCS that came with just the Aux input and I'm having the same problem. Does anyone have a fix from doing something?

Last edited by JawKnee; 05-26-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: word spacing
Old 05-27-2015, 11:57 AM
fritzo
1st Gear
I pulled my Aux/USB module out (it just pops out by prying with a screwdriver). There's a set of cables it connects to, and from what I can gather there's something wrong with where those cables terminate. I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but any advice would be awesome.

Also verified all fuses to the radio are good.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:42 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
This is probably a lame question, but how do you know if you have the convenience package? I have a 2011 MCS.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:56 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Go to this website, and enter the last 7 alphanumeric of your VIN, this will give you all of the packages your car left the factory with:

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Old 05-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Wynnston
1st Gear
I had a problem with a nasty knock off lightning to 30 pin adapter. I bought the genuine mini cable and got an apple lightning to 30 pin adapter and it worked fine after that. Are you using all genuine cables. I mean it shouldn't normally matter, but it's worth a try if you can find a friend with one.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 AM
JawKnee
Neutral
Originally Posted by fritzo
I pulled my Aux/USB module out (it just pops out by prying with a screwdriver). There's a set of cables it connects to, and from what I can gather there's something wrong with where those cables terminate. I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but any advice would be awesome.

Also verified all fuses to the radio are good.
Fritzo were you able to investigate further and find a solution to the problem that we are all having? Is there any relation to the module itself?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:34 PM
JohnnyZenith
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JawKnee
Fritzo were you able to investigate further and find a solution to the problem that we are all having? Is there any relation to the module itself?
My Aux doesn't work either. 2008 R55 Cooper S. :(

Old 06-24-2016, 05:13 AM
djenks76
1st Gear
My Aux has never worked properly in my 2008 r56. It only play bass and no treble. I've replaced the aux connector and no joy.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 AM
SMracer
Neutral
I have an 08 MCS and I have the same problem with my usb/aux port. My Y adapter works on other devices and I also swapped out the usb/aux port with a new one and no joy. I am thinking I need to replace cable that runs from radio to usb/aux port. About $90. Has anyone tried this fix?

Old 11-25-2017, 10:12 AM
1973party
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi, I had this issue on my 2008 MCS and found that one of the fibre optic connectors (optical MOST Data Bus - they are routed inside a fairly still convoluted tubing) in the left hand foot well had been disturbed. Reconnecting it solved the issue. A word of warning! Do not bend too much as they are easily damaged and the data signal will not transmit correctly if they are damaged. I first had issues with this 2 years ago and once resolved it was fine until I lost my USB source (and Phone) while driving last week. I revisited the same connectors as last time but they seem fine. I've also inspected the optical connectors at the back of the head unit, that also appeared fine. I'm currently trying to find a location diagram of the MOST connections...

Old 02-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Pootietang
1st Gear
Did you finally resolve? Have the similar problem on my '07. Tuner and SAT icons gone, no radio or Sirius overnight.

thanks,

Pootie

Old 03-17-2018, 03:19 AM
1973party
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Pootietang
Did you finally resolve? Have the similar problem on my '07. Tuner and SAT icons gone, no radio or Sirius overnight.

thanks,

Pootie

Pooti, I didn't get this fixed and my cherished R56 MCS is poorly so it's going to be replaced pretty soon.
Good luck with sorting yours.

1973party

Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 AM
JawKnee
Neutral
Originally Posted by 1973party
Hi, I had this issue on my 2008 MCS and found that one of the fibre optic connectors (optical MOST Data Bus - they are routed inside a fairly still convoluted tubing) in the left hand foot well had been disturbed. Reconnecting it solved the issue. A word of warning! Do not bend too much as they are easily damaged and the data signal will not transmit correctly if they are damaged. I first had issues with this 2 years ago and once resolved it was fine until I lost my USB source (and Phone) while driving last week. I revisited the same connectors as last time but they seem fine. I've also inspected the optical connectors at the back of the head unit, that also appeared fine. I'm currently trying to find a location diagram of the MOST connections...
Hi, can you please describe in more detail, show, and/ or circle in a picture where exactly where you found the loose connection? Like the “convoluted tubing” you said.
By left hand foot well do you mean the passenger side (battery side) or driver’s side of an R56?
Thank you

Old 11-22-2018, 02:32 AM
1973party
1st Gear

Hi, can you please describe in more detail, show, and/ or circle in a picture where exactly where you found the loose connection? Like the “convoluted tubing” you said.
By left hand foot well do you mean the passenger side (battery side) or driver’s side of an R56?
Thank you
Hi JawKnee, my old R56 was a UK RHD car and the loose connection was in the LH (passenger) footwell. I no longer have the car, got an F54 clubman cooper S now so I can't take any pictures. The connector was to the side of the glove box, I can't recall having to remove any trim panels to gain access or if I was just a 'upside down job' in the footwell. I've had a quick look on google images but couldn't find any pictures. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Sue Jackson
Neutral
mcs 09 r56

I have lost my handsfree phone, aux and usb - nothing works and not showing on dash either, it did before. Stereo is ok, steering wheel buttons work. Nothing else, have checked Bluetooth module under passenger seat, we have power - any help peeps? I can see before that people have put the same but is there any results?

Old 08-09-2019, 03:31 AM
Tilleynj
Neutral

Thank you
JawKnee -- did you ever find it? Help me out with some pics if you did and save me some time??

Old 01-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Martin Hoffmann
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sue Jackson
I have lost my handsfree phone, aux and usb - nothing works and not showing on dash either, it did before. Stereo is ok, steering wheel buttons work. Nothing else, have checked Bluetooth module under passenger seat, we have power - any help peeps? I can see before that people have put the same but is there any results?
Did anyone solve this? This is my exact issue....

Quick Reply: Phone, Ipod, and AUX not working on my R56