R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 2008 Mini R56 steering problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Katomangt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mini R56 steering problem...

Hello Everyone
On Monday I got my pre-own 2008 Mini S and it was beutiful, fast, good looking, etc.
But on tuesday afternoon it begin a problem with my steering wheel so I check and change the batery because in this forum I realice that it was completly electric....still the same ...the light in the dasboard, the hard wheel so I take it to the mechanic and say it has to chance the hole piece of the steering wheel....after cheking...
My two questions are:

1. Is normal to have this problem, and what cause it?
2. What is the regular price for fixing this? And how much cost this part?

I hope you can help me because I only have fun for a day and enjoy it like no one else!!!!

Rewards

Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure why you replaced the battery for a steering wheel problem

You never said specifically what is the problem with your steering. The more details the better.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Katomangt
Neutral
Sorry, for the little details...
The problem is a wheel light in the dashboard, extremely hard to handle the steering wheel...I left it at night and begin working again but around two hours later when I was parking the light come out and lost all the hidralic of the wheel.
My mechanic says that the battery was the original so I better change it to try if this works...but like I said...still without a soft steering wheel.
Thank for the quick response!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
So you're saying you've lost the power steering and the steering wheel is only turning the wheels with lots of force. Almost like driving a vintage automobile

The R56 does have an electric power steering motor. It is not hydraulic like the previous generation MINI. The electric power steering motor has two electrical connectors located on top of the electric motor.

See item 4 & 5 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...68&hg=32&fg=12

If you remove the turbo inlet hose you should be able to reach down in the engine bay and see the connectors on top of the electric motor. I would at least clean the electrical connections with a quick spray of electrical contact cleaner and try again. That's really all you can do. If that doesn't work, I would go straight to the dealer.

I don't know of any wiring diagrams for that system that are available to the public. If it still isn't working you need to work your way back through the harness making sure all wires are in good condition and sending the proper signals all the way back to the ECU. Impossible to do if you don't have a wiring diagram

Don't be so quick to condemn the power steering rack. It costs over $1500!!!

Last edited by countryboyshane; 12-14-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Katomangt
Neutral
Thank you for your answer....I check this conectors with electrical test and both of them have electric current...I leave far away for the dealer, but in my town have excelents mechanics....after doing the cleaning and don' t work do you think i have to change the motors??? If so...how much to the cost...because it's probably the only thing I' m able to do here in my town.
Thank you??

Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
You can't buy the electric motor itself. You would have to buy the whole steering rack assembly that includes the motor. It is REALLY EXPENSIVE.

This is why you need to diagnose that the two harnesses are getting the correct signals from the MINI's computer (ECU).

Imagine if you replaced the entire steering rack assembly, started the car, and you had the same problem as before. If i made that mistake, I would feel like a fool! Diagnose the cheap parts first

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Katomangt
Neutral
Thank you!!! I hope it's only something simple....I'll pray fot that

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
komet155
4th Gear
That's not true, or at least it isn't anymore.....the parts catalog shows the steering rack and motor available as separate parts. However, the electronic control unit which is attached to the motor is not available separate from the motor.

Originally Posted by countryboyshane
You can't buy the electric motor itself. You would have to buy the whole steering rack assembly that includes the motor. It is REALLY EXPENSIVE.

This is why you need to diagnose that the two harnesses are getting the correct signals from the MINI's computer (ECU).

Imagine if you replaced the entire steering rack assembly, started the car, and you had the same problem as before. If i made that mistake, I would feel like a fool! Diagnose the cheap parts first

Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you buy the car used from a dealer? They should be taking care of it then.

It's likely going to be easier and cheaper in the long run to get the car to a mini dealer so they can read fault codes and do the proper diagnostics. Even if you just take it to mini to get diagnosed and fix it yourself it's better than just throwing parts at it hoping you happen to pick the right part.