R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 "Loose" steering issue - mechanic didn't find anything

Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Loose" steering issue - mechanic didn't find anything

Well, I'm feeling very frustrated (and a bit anxious not knowing what's wrong).

About 3 weeks ago I noticed my 2007 MC's steering wasn't quite right - I had to turn the wheel quite a bit further to make turns. I've been driving MINIs for 5 years, so I'm familiar with the wonderful "go-kart" steering. When I searched online and browsed the forums the descriptions that sounded closest were talking about worn control arm bushings, but that seemed odd considering Caspian isn't quite to 25,000 miles and doesn't do anything like track driving.

I made an appointment with the local mechanic I've taken my MINIs to before, and he said the computer wasn't giving any codes and the physical parts looked fine. He said the tires were showing their age (I did notice they would need replaced soon) and suggested new rubber and an alignment. So, I got the new tires on Monday, and just got back from picking it up after getting the alignment through his shop. . . and it's still not right. Unfortunately I didn't make myself clear when I made the appointment that I would like him to make sure the steering was tight again after the alignment *sigh*

So I guess tomorrow I'll be calling to make another appointment to hopefully figure out what's wrong. I wondered if you guys had any ideas about what could be causing this. It doesn't take more effort to turn the wheel, I just have to turn it more. I was driving my sister's and then my mom's cars while it was at the shop, and honestly their cars steer like mine does "broken." I'm hoping the local guy can figure out the problem; I'm nearly 3 hours from MINI of Pittsburgh and considering the last time I was down there my MINI was totaled, I'm not dying to drive into the city.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
What you say doesn't sound right at all, possibly even dangerous. You don't have enough miles that you would have ANY problems with the steering. I would definitely get this checked out ASAP.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Bushing? Maybe check the linkage of the steering wheel to the electric box and from there to the wheels. Also you describing "loose" is very subjective, without driving it I don't think any of us are going to really be able to help you out.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 PM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
I know "loose" is subjective. As an example, when I turn into my driveway muscle-memory says the wheel should be about 90 degrees or less, but now I'm turning it a full 180.

I always drive with the Sport button on- and now if it's off the steering feels almost wiggly.

I tried calling the mechanic today but they left the office early for Labor Day weekend.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Your used to the stiffer steering so with sport off it feels wiggly as you describe it.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
Perhaps there's a problem with the universal joints in the steering column. Just a thought.

Spridget

Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Your used to the stiffer steering so with sport off it feels wiggly as you describe it.

Right - I just meant that the Sport button is still working to tighten the steering response, and that with it off it's almost scary.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Yeah you are just overcompensating for it because you leave sport on all the time. I doubt there is anything wrong than.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yeah you are just overcompensating for it because you leave sport on all the time. I doubt there is anything wrong than.

No, the problem persists with the Sport button on - Sport mode is still better than having it off, but I noticed the issue with the button engaged as usual. I just mentioned that it is really bad with it off to say that it's not something like a Sport button malfunction.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
See the joints?

I wonder if those might be wore out or need to be tightened?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
It's been a busy week so I forgot to get on here, but I did speak with the mechanic again on Monday. He believes the problem is a software/computer issue rather than a mechanical one, and said he'd look into an update or tweak that could get the steering response tightened again.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Let us know.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are your tire pressures at?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
...said he'd look into an update or tweak that could get the steering response tightened again.
Wow... you mentioned earlier that you were having to turn the wheel further than before to get the same steering effect. I don't see how software's going to affect that, but you never know. What I'm saying is that this is a rack and pinion setup, and the gear ratio is fixed and will be the same regardless of boost. All the software affects is the amount of boost delivered by the electric power steering. So please let us know what you find. This is a strange one.

I still wonder if something's loose in the column, rack, or something else. Like, you should be able to turn the steering wheel while watching the column U-joints under the dash and see if there's any slop... same with the tie rod ends, steering arms, etc.

That's a good question in the previous post, BTW; soft tires will make your steering and handling feel squashy and indistinct.

Spridget

Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM
itsmewutup
1st Gear
Reviving an old thread here. Did you ever find the culprit? I just experienced this same thing. Granted I have 92k miles on my 08 but I'm not sure what to look for.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
LeftyClayJar
1st Gear
I haven't learned any more. I've adapted to the "new" feel, but I still notice at the lowest speeds that I'm turning the wheel more than I think I should. I've had it in for an inspection again since and the shop owner said his mechanic that drove it thought it felt like other MINIs (I of course still know something changed; I KNEW my cars) and said it still didn't look like anything concerning was going on. *shrug* Maybe one of these days I will get it in down to MINI of Pittsburgh. The "problem" hasn't gotten any worse, at least.

As for the tires, I did notice a difference way back when I got the new tires and they were properly inflated, but if I recall correctly having them properly inflated made the steering difference feel worse!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM
itsmewutup
1st Gear
Well that is disappointing. I guess I will take it to my guys and ask. If I get an answer I'll update with it.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Ramandeeps13
Neutral
Facing the same problem

Hello everyone, was anyone able to find the cause or the resolution to this problem?

I am having the exact same symptoms with my R56. The steering feel has gone from a kart feel to the one we used to have on Toyotas in the 1980s. Lots of free play and having to turn almost more than double the angles that were required previously.

My problems started after changing the tyres to Bridgestone MY02 and alignment. The wheel became a little lose then and has become worse progressively. These tyres aren't soft and are always inflated correctly. And they are the same width and height as the previous set.

Electronic diagnosis found nothing wrong. My mechanic said that he will need to flash everything and that might help.

Hoping to hear a response, see the last posts are quite old.

Regards,
Raman

Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never before heard of a Bridgestone MY02 but if you went from a runflat to a soft sidewalled tire it will affect the steering significantly. When you turn the steering wheel the tire flexes and doesn't turn as much as the road wheel.

Um, upon searching, the reviews of those tires are pretty bad.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Ramandeeps13
Neutral
My previous set of tires, when I bought the car second hand, were the Goodyear Eagle RS-A. They were the exact same specs and the reviews if you compare now are much worse than the MY02. Majority of the reviews I came across for MY02 said that they were a good deal and decent tires.

So not quite sure how going from softwall to another softwall would make the steering loose. And it also doesn't explain getting looser overtime.

It has got to be something else. If we give the tires benefit of doubt, what else can be wrong?

Old 12-21-2014, 10:51 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
I don't understand what loose steering means. I know of nothing other than poor grip at the front tires that can cause one to have to turn the steering wheel twice as far (understeer). Softer sidewalls cause a longer delay in response when turning the steering wheel.

You apparently went from all-seasons to a summer tire. What is the current air temperature where you live?

Since your problems began with a change of tires the logical thing would be to rule them out first rather than to start replacing suspension components. Do you know any local MINI owners willing to swap wheels with you for a test?

Old 12-21-2014, 11:23 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Put the car on a rack...check the alignment...I would start here...a bent item will toss everything off..potholes do lots of damage overtime...
Heavy rims can make a mini feel less playful..more truck like..more straight line stable, but resistant to turns...but usually instantly noticable when the change is made...

Old 12-21-2014, 11:26 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Was the old tire the RS-A EMT?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Ramandeeps13
Neutral
Yes, I checked a few old photos in my mobile. And I see the RS-A EMT sign on them.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Sorry I missed your response. The EMT versions of the RS-A is a runflat that can be driven up to 50 miles at 50mph when deflated. You can confirm this at Goodyear.com.

My Roadster S came with 16" runflats. I also have two sets of non-runflats. The runflats give the "go kart" steering feel and the others have slower turn-in, more grip, better handling, better ride, and cost less. The differences are significant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 "Loose" steering issue - mechanic didn't find anything