R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Oil Level and Dipstick

Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craven told me that the top divet is full and the bottom divet means you need a quart.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 AM
davidtobin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Clubmaste00
Craven told me that the top divet is full and the bottom divet means you need a quart.

SO if the two top divets have no oil in them that means I need to add how? Or should I just add small amounts and check until all divets have oil in them?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
how many divots are there?

# of divots without oil
total # of divots

is the fraction of a quart to use. So for example if there are 5 total divots, you'd need 2/5ths of a quart. (I don't know how many divots there really are, so substitute as needed)

Last edited by Kirby11; 06-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
davidtobin
2nd Gear
There are 6 divets. The top two don't show oil so I assume i need to add 1/3 qt.

Originally Posted by Kirby11
how many divots are there?

# of divots minus 2
total # of divots

is the fraction of a quart to use. So for example if there are 5 total divots, you'd need 3/5ths of a quart. (I don't know how many divots there really are, so substitute as needed)

Old 06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Whoops my bad - you're right. I'll go back and fix my math.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At 1/3 quart low, do we really need to add at all? (I really don't know this, so will be interested in the answer too)

Mine also shows two divots, because I drained some out when the dealer over filled.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=JoanieB;3539402]At 1/3 quart low, do we really need to add at all? (I really don't know this, so will be interested in the answer too)

Not critical, but I think your MINI would do this the closer you keep it to the top mark.
It's not a bad habit to have actually, and only takes a few moments.
Good luck.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
I posted this quick fix here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/how-to/230108-reading-the-2011-oil-dipstick.html

But thought it is worth reposting it in this thread to help everyone out. It really isn’t that difficult to modify the OEM dipstick so the oil on the lower bulb doesn’t get drug into the tube when you initially pull it out and add more indents for ease of reading.

Originally Posted by BlackIce
What about just filing the bottom blub down to the thickness of the round reading part between the two blubs? Anyone try this yet? It's just plastic, right? That way the bottom blub doesn't drag the oil into the tube to begin with.

Just might work!
Okay, here you go. Ground off the lower bulb and filed each side flat just a bit, then drilled matching holes every 1/4" starting from the hole that was already there all the way to the metal core so each hole has a shiny silver metal spot in it.

Sorry about the quality of the photo, but it seems to work well. The oil level just below the top hole, between it with the shiny core and the next one that is filled with oil. Looks like a viable easy cost effective solution.
Just wanted to report back in that this simple modification is working perfectly!

I'm checking my oil at every fill up. Park the car next to the pump, pop the hood lever, go pay my hard earned ca$h to the man, pump the gas, wash the windshield while it fills if it's dirty, replace the cap and close the door.

Then I go to the front of the car and open the hood to check the oil. I do it just like every other car I've owned over the years too. No special treatment needed. Just pull the dip stick once, wipe it clean, put it back in all the way down, pull it out and read it E-A-S-I-L-Y-!

BEST MOD TO MY 2012 MCa YET.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
epb888
Neutral
BlackIce, can you pls. post a clearer pics..

Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
These are the best photos my old digital camera will take. This is the modified dipstick dry.

And this is it wet, after one dip back into and out of the tube.

It is easy to read the oil level on the filed smooth flat dull surface on each side of the dipstick end, but the additional holes that fill with oil turn darker making it even easier with those in place.

It appears that the “lower” blub is what pulls the oil back into the tube when removing the dipstick. The upper bulb really shouldn’t be “in” the oil unless it is over filled and is possibly cleaning out the tube as you pull it out to wipe clean.

Either way, the filed to a point end doesn’t seem to drag additional oil up into the tube (or at least not as much), thus I am getting a good reading on the first dip after pulling and cleaning off the end.

Last edited by BlackIce; 07-04-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 AM
epb888
Neutral
Best mod so far.blackIce..

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by epb888
Best mod so far.blackIce..
Glad it worked out for you too. Maybe Mini will redesign it for 2013 and make it even better.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Rgoodwin
4th Gear
Did mine this morning. Awesome tip ! No guesswork now. Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Bhavin Userofreality
1st Gear
IMPORTANT WARNING for users of the Craven aftermarket Dipstick!!!

I went to check my oil levels today...and when I was cleaning the dipstick before putting it back in for my first reading...the handle/head separated from the stick(coil)!!

I did not apply any pressure at all..it came apart with little to no effort!

I was LUCKY that it didn't come off when it was in the tube!!! Could you imagine?

I am contacting Craven about this...they have a good rep for making things right...but please be careful with yours.

Luckily I had the OEM handy...and its back in for now.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Level and Dipstick-img_3999.jpg   Oil Level and Dipstick-img_3996.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
muzak
4th Gear
^ Oh no!

Mine is in a box. It was too tight and I couldn't take it anymore. Maybe I'm just not strong enough. If anyone wants it, PM me.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Gubi
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
I used a coating of Plasti Dip rubber on the handle to serve as an insulating layer and reduce heat on the Craven dipstick. I'll keep you posted how well it works. At the very least it's supposedly easily removable if it doesn't help.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM
airwilf
Neutral
As a new MCS owner as of June 22/12, I'm definitely a rookie here,but followed BlackIce's advice & did the dipstick mod.Works like a charm!!!
Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 3455
Size:  65.0 KB

Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by muzak
^ Oh no!

Mine is in a box. It was too tight and I couldn't take it anymore. Maybe I'm just not strong enough. If anyone wants it, PM me.
Brandon, return it to Craven, they replaced some that had double powder coating. It's worth replacing, or maybe he will refund you.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Airwilf, you might want to narrow that top bulb down a bit, that is what drags oil through the channel. It will give you a false reading if the oil is smeared on the stick. Nice job! Dremel?

Originally Posted by airwilf
As a new MCS owner as of June 22/12, I'm definitely a rookie here,but followed BlackIce's advice & did the dipstick mod.Works like a charm!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
airwilf
Neutral
Originally Posted by JoanieB
Airwilf, you might want to narrow that top bulb down a bit, that is what drags oil through the channel. It will give you a false reading if the oil is smeared on the stick. Nice job! Dremel?
Nope.Just a file,some sandpaper,a a couple of glasses of wine.I'll narrow the buld down this evening.Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by airwilf
Nope.Just a file,some sandpaper,a a couple of glasses of wine.I'll narrow the buld down this evening.Thanks for the tip.
Not sure that is necessary, as the oil should not be up to the top bulb. My thought is the top bulb cleans the tube out when you remove the dipstick and having the bottom bulb removed prevents the transfer of oil into the tube because it is below the oil level and wet. That was my logic for leaving it on mine and it works fine with the full top bulb in place. Not sure of the facts, but know it works great every time as is!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
You're right, Blackice, my bad.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
minitennisball
2nd Gear
Well, I have to add my 2c, since I'm having the same dipstick problem. I checked the oil at 5,100 miles (for the 1 st time, I know, don't tell me I should have checked it sooner), and the OEM dipstick clearly showed the oil level was a tad above the lower divet, and according to the owners manual , I needed to add 1 quart of oil to bring the level up to the full level, which I did. After I added the quart, and checked the dipstick the next day, the oil level now appears to be way up above the red part of the dipstick and onto the metal part of the dipstick. So, according to what everyone has said prior to my posting, the dipstick is dragging oil into the tube and giving me a false reading now, is that correct? I'm a tad anxiety ridden after seeing oil up to the metal part of the dipstick, thinking I have now put too much oil in, and I don't think adding the 1 qt of oil would have brought the level up so drastically higher. I'm also annoyed at Mini for making such an easy maintenance task so darn difficult. Can someone confirm my understanding? Will the oil in the tube recede eventually so I can get a proper oil level reading again?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM
muzak
4th Gear
minitennisball,

Pull the dipstick out for 20-30 minutes minimum to let the tube drain and check it again. Or, try the, insert it partially, wipe it, partially insert, wipe and repeat until you pull it all out, basically. You definitely don't want to be driving with too much oil. If you have to much, go to the corner auto part store and grab a siphon.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Reading the oil dipstick

Minitennisball,

I also agree that pulling the dipstick out, wiping it off, and waiting at least 20 minutes before reinserting it is the best method. I would also suggest when you insert it for the reading, stop when the lowest part of the plastic handle contacts the top edge of the tube. The lowest part of the plastic is exactly 1" below the part of the handle the contacts the top of the tube when the dipstick is fully inserted. If you stop when the lowest part contacts, the reading will be exactly 1" below the actual level. If you have overfilled the oil by only a small amount you will get a reading somewhere in between the bulges. Measure 1" above where you read the level and that is the actual level. This allows you to see the actual amount of overfill. You only need to do this if the oil is overfilled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R56 Oil Level and Dipstick