R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2011 says 10/10 on the black sticker on the door jamb :(

Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Scott Auld
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muzak
Wow, read the comment section. Lots of chest-beating going on. Some people are just ignorant.
+1

I quit reading when I got to

Mini's should all be recalled for a "fold up like an old beer can in an accident" risk.
Los Idiotas!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
ScottRuggles
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HKSpeed
"DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WATER PUMP FREE OF CHARGE" (on turbo models)

nice that they'll replace a wear & tear item that costs hundreds to replace when it normally goes out.
No, not at all... They will replace the auxiliary water pump!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
gixxerjasen
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hamptup
Any recall will affect resale value... PERIOD!
So much for the resale value of almost every vehicle on the road. I guess this explains why the dealer offered me so little for my Ford F150, what with that super scary recall of the wiring harness for my airbag. Or maybe because it was a POS gas guzzling Ford....I dunno, I'm liking your logic.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neitherfanboy
had ceased parking my Mini in the garage at home just in case (and I note that is the recommendation now, not to park the Mini in your garage until after the waterpump has been replaced).
Understand the common sense, but where did you read this 'recommendation'?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Neitherfanboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Understand the common sense, but where did you read this 'recommendation'?
Oh, sorry, it was in the notice on the recall from Canada which came out just slightly before the US one ... I did not notice they had not included that language in the US. The Canadian one says "Note: Owners are advised to park the vehicle outdoors until the remedy is applied."

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM
soarer
Neutral
Just wandering will this recall be a worldwide thing? I spoke to my BMW dealer here in Australia and he had no idea. Hmmm...

Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 AM
pocari
2nd Gear
called my local Mini in Vancouver Canada and the lady looked up my VIN and said there's nothing that needs to be done...hmm?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 AM
reducati
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Neitherfanboy
Oh, sorry, it was in the notice on the recall from Canada which came out just slightly before the US one ... I did not notice they had not included that language in the US. The Canadian one says "Note: Owners are advised to park the vehicle outdoors until the remedy is applied."
my notice told me to drive within sight of a fire truck

Old 01-18-2012, 05:19 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by soarer
Just wandering will this recall be a worldwide thing? I spoke to my BMW dealer here in Australia and he had no idea. Hmmm...
I don't have a link handy, but my understanding is that it is a worldwide recall. About 235k vehicles impacted.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is there a fuse that we could pull until the cars get fixed?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Can one use their VIN to determine the manufactured date of the car? I once happened on finding the manufactured date of my car accidentally by holding the trip reset button in for a long time, but I forgot how to do it.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Scott Auld
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JPMM
I would worry more about overheating my supercharger by disabling the auxiliary water pump! Leave it be and get the fix when you can.

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Can one use their VIN to determine the manufactured date of the car? I once happened on finding the manufactured date of my car accidentally by holding the trip reset button in for a long time, but I forgot how to do it.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-on-tach.html

Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
DaveJ50
2nd Gear
So what are your thoughts about leaving a totaly cooled car in a garage? I'm assuming that the pump would have to have been running to overheat and I haven't been driving my cooper much this winter.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveJ50
So what are your thoughts about leaving a totaly cooled car in a garage? I'm assuming that the pump would have to have been running to overheat and I haven't been driving my cooper much this winter.
From all of my reading I've come to understand that the fires happen while the pump is supposed to be running during the 30 minutes after the car shuts down. Most of the incident reports to the NHTSA mention recent driving and the wording of the recall leads me to believe this. So if you aren't driving your car I am led to believe it won't happen.

Though, read the recall yourself and see if you agree. It's a quick read anyways and you get to understand a little bit more about this!

Useful links to read:

Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
DaveJ50
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cereal
So if you aren't driving your car I am led to believe it won't happen.
Originally Posted by Copy From Links
The malfunction can occur as a result of certain design features in combination with high operating temperatures.
The MINI pump operates only after engine shut-down, and for a maximum of 15 minutes
Thanks for the links. Sounds like a cool mini is probably a completely safe mini. If I do drive much before the fix I will let it cool in the driveway.

I really don't have anywhere to park outside the garage where I can still get another vehicle out.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cereal, those are superb references that should be mandatory reading for everyone to avoid much of the speculation and misinformation.

Two important facts are revealed (briefly noted by DaveJ):

1. The MINI aux water pump does not operate while the engine is running, and only kicks on when the engine is stopped. One might presume that the flow of air and lubricating oil is enough to control the temperature of the turbo while the engine is running. Also, since it's not drawing any current there is no reason to believe that this particular failure will happen while operating the vehicle (consistent with the individual NHTSA reports we've seen).

2. The MINI aux water pump only runs for a maximum of 15 minutes after engine shut down. This would appear to be the "threat period" when the circuit card in your MINI's aux water pump is vulnerable to the failure. It's easy to hear the pump running after one turns off the engine and, quite frankly, I've never heard my pump run that long. In my observations of my '11 the running time is typically closer to 5 minutes. This is a nice, short window of time to keep an eye (and a nose) on the situation just to be safe.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
DaveJ50
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
In my observations of my '11 the running time is typically closer to 5 minutes.
I usually go easy the last 2-3 miles just to let the turbo cool and I also have noticed that it only runs about 5 minutes max.

I sometimes back out to wash and then pull back into the garage. I don't think the pump runs at all. That is what makes me think a driveway cool down will be part of my plan.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Ha! I just received a call from the NHTSA today in reference to a complaint I filed last July about the electric power steering pump failure in my R53. The agent told me that they have hundreds of complaints and are looking to get the manufacturer to "do the right thing" on this one. Looks like BMW/MINI might have another big recall on their hands as well. I say it's about time as the damn thing nearly killed me when it failed! MINI really should step up and fix known problems like these. I hope they learn a lesson for the future from all of this, but somehow I doubt it.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Ha! I just received a call from the NHTSA today in reference to a complaint I filed last July about the electric power steering pump failure in my R53. The agent told me that they have hundreds of complaints and are looking to get the manufacturer to "do the right thing" on this one. Looks like BMW/MINI might have another big recall on their hands as well. I say it's about time as the damn thing nearly killed me when it failed! MINI really should step up and fix known problems like these. I hope they learn a lesson for the future from all of this, but somehow I doubt it.
My take after reading the one BMW letter here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs.../doc/UCM367020 is that you should not hold your breath for BMW "doing the right thing".

If you read item #6 starting on page 2, you will see that BMW created a task force in July 2010 to investigate the electro-migration issue. It further goes on to state that in Nov 2010 they confirmed the root cause of the circuit board and water pump overheating failures. However, their action (or rather their inaction) only consisted of continuing to monitor the field (i.e. the cars that have been sold).

It is only after the NHTSA opens an investigation on October 11, 2011 and sends BMW a request for information on October 18, 2011 and an amended request on November 14, 2011 does it appear that BMW apparently get motivated to in December 2011 complete the "final testing and analysis of the mini water pump [was completed]". Then, magically, "on January 3, 2012, BMW decided to conduct a voluntary recall".

Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
FerRrari
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DaveJ50
I usually go easy the last 2-3 miles just to let the turbo cool and I also have noticed that it only runs about 5 minutes max.

I sometimes back out to wash and then pull back into the garage. I don't think the pump runs at all. That is what makes me think a driveway cool down will be part of my plan.
In my case I drove from Woodinville to Seattle, ~15 miles. Parked the car for at least 45 min. Then drove 4 city blocks and parked again, the fire started 10 min later.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMM
If you want a warped turbo...

Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hamptup
WOW I'm not sure how some of you can think a recall is no big deal! Sure BMW will get it fix but being a newbie to the Mini world and drop over $30K+ for a 2011 car it' ain't the news you want to hear. Any recall will affect resale value... PERIOD!
Any idea what the impact was on resale value of the tailpipe recall?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Any idea what the impact was on resale value of the tailpipe recall?
Absolutely none. I didn't look or care about recalls when I bought mine and I certainly didn't care that the tailpipe recall wasn't even performed on my 07 MCS. Only time that a recall would have a any impact (in my opinion) is something similar to Toyota (denial of an issue for a really long time) or the Explorer (media blaming the explorer for a really long time). Even then, given a decent time period and the stigma is completely gone.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
remember its cold now in Iowa, and the fix is gonna happen next month when its still cold

Originally Posted by Benibiker
If you want a warped turbo...

Quick Reply: R56 NHSTA MINI 2007- 2011 Recall