MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Help Me Choose
by UKNY
0 Replies, 1 Views
New Guy from NH.
0 Replies, 1 Views
Pepper White Troll
by wakR53
0 Replies, 1 Views
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Which Short Throw Shifter?

Im debating which short throw shifter i should get. Right now im contemplating between the Helix and NM adapters. Does anybody have experience with either of these? If so, which one is better? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-23-2011, 05:52 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drewstermalloy
Gallery
CravenSpeed adjustable.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
I have the Helix, very happy with it.
06 MCSC CoB, Craven 15% Pulley, M7 CAI, JCW Exhaust, H&R Springs, Alta 22MM Sway Bar, M7 USS, Helix Short Shifter, RMW Cam, Bosch 450cc injectors, RMW ECM Tune, Craven Strut Tower Defenders, Rogue Eyes, ESM E30 Wheels, Falken Ziex ZE-912, Wind Deflector, IPod Interface, Glove Box Organizer, center console organizer, rubber S logo boot mat, rubber S logo floor mats, Cobalt S logo Billet Pedals, R52 Top Commander, M7 Ultimate Grilles front & rear, Grille Badge Holder
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy View Post
CravenSpeed adjustable.
I was looking at that one, but from what cravenspeed said it doesnt reduce the throw, just the shifter length.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanguy View Post
I was looking at that one, but from what cravenspeed said it doesnt reduce the throw, just the shifter length.
Not true. If you look at how it works the fulcrum point for the shifter changes as you slide the center. The amount of how much shorter the throw is based on the length from the center of the ball, to the tip that the shift cable attaches to. That's how the adapters work, the just make that length longer, and therefore it takes less movement at the other end of the shaft to make the shift.

I like the Craven shifter the best, it makes the shifting very crisp even without adjusting it down.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
I have had the NM adapter on my MCS for about 4 months now and love it. It keeps the shifter and the same level but does shorting the throw about 50%, well what i think it feels like. All the other short shifters actually just shorten the height of the shifter, thus reducing throw. I love the NM, but if you get the NM, make sure you get the cover for it. I used with out cover for about a month, and it added a little bit of noise to the cabin, also when i went to put the box cover on notice the linkage was really dirty. Hopefully this was helpful.

2007 Lighting Blue MCS / Sport Package / Comfort Package / Panoramic Roof / Xenon / 1000 Watt Boston Acoustic Stereo / 17" Drag Wheels / Front Strut Brace / 19mm H&R Rear Sway Bar / NM SSA and NM Linkage Cover / K&N CAI / and More To Come
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
I also have the NM shifter with there cover. Real simple to install and works great!
2012 MCS, Ice Blue - Integral Audio Subwoofer, PIAA bulbs, VIP Exhaust, NM Engineering Shifter w/ Cover, Samco Silicone Turbo Hoses, Redline leather, CravenSpeed dual gauges pods, Stubby Antenna, Koni FSD, GoMini brake pulsar, and 3M Bra and 20% Tint
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCALGUY2007MCS View Post
I have had the NM adapter on my MCS for about 4 months now and love it. It keeps the shifter and the same level but does shorting the throw about 50%, well what i think it feels like. All the other short shifters actually just shorten the height of the shifter, thus reducing throw. I love the NM, but if you get the NM, make sure you get the cover for it. I used with out cover for about a month, and it added a little bit of noise to the cabin, also when i went to put the box cover on notice the linkage was really dirty. Hopefully this was helpful.
How do the shifts feel?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
I have the Craven Short Shift with the well cover. It is my favorite mod. Add the NM torque insert and the shifting is transformed to a thing of beauty and smoothness.

2010 Cooper S / Pepper White / Sport Package / Black Crown Spokes / Cold Weather / Harmon Kardon / Brushed Alloy / Anthracite headliner / Rear Fogs / JCW Stage 1 / BSH Catch Can / Craven Short Shift and Well Cover / NM Torque Arm Insert / Whalen Shift Knob / M7 Turbo Heat Shield / Invisilens Tachometer
Old 11-24-2011, 07:55 AM
6th Geared

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to JPMM
Gallery
Cae

I would like to install one of these without tearing up the interior too much!

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...-want-one.html
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
I saw that one, but it seems a little pricey for now. I think im going to buy the NM adapter for now
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM
6th Geared

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to JPMM
Gallery
It looks like a bear to intrigrate into the interior, I would like someone that has done one to show how they put the console back together

Quote:
I saw that one, but it seems a little pricey for now. I think im going to buy the NM adapter for now
Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
I just installed the NM adaptor the other day. Install was a breeze. Since the exhaust was going to be pulled I installed the NM DP back exhaust as well. The NM adaptor is a really nice piece. I used a heavy strength red loctite on the set screws. I also bought the NM modified cover. I did remove the screws that came on the new cover and replaced them with metric stainless screws and lock nuts for added security. I am a real fan of NM Engineering. Great products.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gallery
I have the Alta one which is the same as the Craven minus the easy adjust-ability. Go with the Craven because the Alta one is not made anymore. Also Helix and NM are the same thing as each other.

I drive €.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Ive been starting to give the cravenspeed more thought. Does the cover need to be changed when you modify the length of the shifter? Kind of like the nm engineering cover
Old 11-28-2011, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Ive been starting to give the cravenspeed more thought. Does the cover need to be changed when you modify the length of the shifter? Kind of like the nm engineering cover
It depends on how much you adjust it. If you make the shifter really low, yes, but you can adjust it just to the point where you won't have to change the cover. Also, I don't know the dimensions of the NM cover, but if you make the shift REALLY short, it may not work inside the the cover boundaries.

2013 fJCW Coupe -=< SAMMY >=-
2009 Clubman S ~-{ SCOOTER }-~ SOLD
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
You don't have to install the cover, but it is nice to keep sound and heat from coming through the shifter housing.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
I have the Helix and I love it. Super easy install and shortens the throw around 40% without having to reach down to your knee to shift. And speaking of knees I dont hit my passengers knee when shifting from 5th to 6th anymore!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Tags
short throw shifter