R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 NM Engineering Lowering Springs for Mini Coooper R56 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
AlbanyRocs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NM Engineering Lowering Springs for Mini Coooper R56 S

HI-
I purchased some lowering springs after countless hours of researching on which ones are the best ones on this site. So i went with the NM and I am here to report that everyone who cheered for these springs were dead on.

They do not have a bumpy ride (my first springs) and they acutally feel like stock or even better on bumps. I have don't many unoffical tests around corners and i can go around them 15 to 20 mph faster because it's so much more stable.

I did a video review from install to riding on them. If you want to check it out, here is the Youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sljEQTT1IM

If you're looking to get a set, get them at http://www.customcarscentral.com/ and ask for Dmitiri, he or someone there will hook you up. They have free shipping too.
Let me know your feedback please and thank you for your suggestions.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you do shocks too? Just fyi the Koni Yellows are a good combo that is what I have and love it.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM
AlbanyRocs
2nd Gear
didn't get the shocks yet, did that make much of a difference? does it give a nice softer ride?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not softer but smoother and more comfortable.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM
sob4691
1st Gear
Perfect drop for nyc.. I'm gunna buy thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 AM
SRhudy
1st Gear
NM-Eng's site says it drops 1.2"

does this stay true, or how much do they settle and drop further?

am currently in the market for either the H&R or NM springs - just have a feeling the H&R might drop too far for my taste after they settle...

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SRhudy
NM-Eng's site says it drops 1.2"

does this stay true, or how much do they settle and drop further?

am currently in the market for either the H&R or NM springs - just have a feeling the H&R might drop too far for my taste after they settle...

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
SRhudy...i put the NM springs on my car about 8 months ago and i still love them! Can't beat the NM for price, comfort, or quality. I wish i had pics up but after they fully settled I'd say there is roughly 1" gap from the top of the tire tread to the bottom of the black fender piece. Looks great and handles like a dream! I did notice some snap over steer after the install but i must say I’ve since driven a cooper with the stock suspension and i FAR prefer the handling and turn in feel compared to that!! I did not have my camber adjusted after install (shame on me ) but I have also NOT noticed any extreme tire wear suggesting i should get camber adjusted. Good luck with your search and future purchase! I'd suggest NM all the way!!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
SRhudy
1st Gear
That is VERY good to hear. I think that pretty much just sealed my decision! NM Springs will be on order next week! Absolutely cannot wait!!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
Good to hear!! You are gonan LOVE them!

Are you going to do the install yourself? I'd say it only took me half the day maybe less when i did mine. The only "special" tool i needed was a spring compressor which i rented from a local auto zone. Pretty easy install!

I'm going to order my "Autometer Boost/Vacuum Gauge: Mechanical" / "Atla - Mini R56 Single Gauge Pod" / and "NM eng. Boost Sensor Tap" today! Thoughts anyone?!?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
Great video you put together ... like everyone else on here i think im going to have to jump on the bandwagon... been lookin to lower my car but not too much because of the area i live in, north nj//NYC ... car looks nice lowered !! enjoy and nice DYI video

Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have any idea if these Springs will work on a JCW Coupe? I'm in the market and keep hearing these springs are very good.

Also, when you say "snap oversteer", how much are you talking/how extreme and in what condition ie. are you pushing the car very hard when this occurs or is it just random?

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 02-29-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
sLy201
5th Gear
qucik question.. i am picking these up once i come back from a trip next week.. did you guys need to do anything to the camber or toe ?? i have been reading that it might need to be adjusted atleast the cambers.. anyone have any feedback that have the springs with stock shocks ??

Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 PM
pocari
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Did you do shocks too? Just fyi the Koni Yellows are a good combo that is what I have and love it.
Just a question...would the koni yellows that everyone is talking about these?
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

didnt think they'd be so pricey. Any differences with NM springs w/ Koni yellows vs some coilovers?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 AM
jaycoop2586
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Anyone have any idea if these Springs will work on a JCW Coupe? I'm in the market and keep hearing these springs are very good.

Also, when you say "snap oversteer", how much are you talking/how extreme and in what condition ie. are you pushing the car very hard when this occurs or is it just random?
I don’t know for sure but i can’t see why the springs wouldn’t work with the JCW Coupe.

The snap over steer i have actually grown to like quite a lot. The turn in response is almost immediate!!! It’s not uncontrollable by any means. I could tell the difference the first time i turned a corner after installing the springs. I was used to it after a day or less of driving I'd say. And i imagine this could have been reduced if i had my camber adjusted after the install. Not gonna lie, i skipped that part of the install instructions. I liked how the car drove and handled so i never had the camber changed. In the NM engineering instructions at the very end they give you some values you can tell a shop to adjust your camber too. "Adjust to (some value) for stock feel, adjust to (some value) for more aggressive handling."

Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM
sLy201
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pocari
Just a question...would the koni yellows that everyone is talking about these?
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

didnt think they'd be so pricey. Any differences with NM springs w/ Koni yellows vs some coilovers?

Heard the Koni Yellows are a great compliment to the springs but also megan coilovers is a great company to buy.

But yes coilovers/shocks are expensive for a good set. havent seen anything really under $800 thats decent.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
UKM1NI
2nd Gear
Had them on mine for about 2 months now. Very nice ride, better than stock! Nice ride height, I would have liked mine a little lower but def looks 100% better than that SUV stock look.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:05 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaycoop2586
I don’t know for sure but i can’t see why the springs wouldn’t work with the JCW Coupe.

The snap over steer i have actually grown to like quite a lot. The turn in response is almost immediate!!! It’s not uncontrollable by any means. I could tell the difference the first time i turned a corner after installing the springs. I was used to it after a day or less of driving I'd say. And i imagine this could have been reduced if i had my camber adjusted after the install. Not gonna lie, i skipped that part of the install instructions. I liked how the car drove and handled so i never had the camber changed. In the NM engineering instructions at the very end they give you some values you can tell a shop to adjust your camber too. "Adjust to (some value) for stock feel, adjust to (some value) for more aggressive handling."
I'm assuming by "adjust" this requires the installation of aftermarket lower control arms? I didn't buy those..........yet. I was trying not to break the bank all at once so I just went with the rear sway bar and the NM springs for now and plan to adjust camber the best I can with whats on the car. Sorry if I missed that in your posts but did you install control arms as well as the springs?

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Hellchicken
1st Gear
NM Eng Spring issues

Has anyone had issues with the NM engineering Rs springs bottoming out on the front? I have had mine on my car for almost a year now. For the most part, they are great. But once in a while I will a bump that will bottom out and hit violently. I replaced the springs, sway bar links, rear sway bar, when I did the work.

I did not replace the stock shocks or perform the camber alignment as suggested. My tires were old when when I put the springs on my 2010 MCS, and so I was going to wait to get this done with the new set of tires. I have not noticed any abnormal wear so far.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:03 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you trim or replace the bumpstops? You need to make them shorter when you install lowering springs.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Hellchicken
1st Gear
The struts had this foam piece, and I cut a section from it as per instructions. If that is the pumpstop, I may cut more or just remove the thing altogether. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Don't remove it completely.