R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 help do I need New brakes!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:39 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help do I need New brakes!?

hello all I just have a few questions about my 07 mcs, any answers would be greatly appreciated!

First off I took my MINI in a couple months ago for a timing chain problem and when I went to pick it up they told me I needed new front tires and rear brakes I declined both at the time since I had no money to pay for either. Me and my friend rotated the tires to get a few more miles out of them and he also noticed my brakes still had some life on them. Anyways my check engine light keeps going off every once in a while so I scheduled a appointment for this monday and today a red service light came on and also a symbol of what looks to be a mini on a lift and wont go away until I start driving I looked it up and it said it was also a service symbol? I'm kinda confused on why there are two different ones. Also my brake light lit up on the tac and is on permanently dose this mean I need new brakes? when I Looked it up there was symbols just for front or rear brakes and those haven't popped up. I am really confused right now, on top of everything my car is out of service warranty and I don't have any money right now, my dad thinks I should cancel the appointment because he's afraid MINI might not release the car back to me since it needs new brakes and could be a safety issue to drive home is this true? I was going to do new brakes myself when I get the money since it will be cheaper, my dad thinks hawk hp is what I should get any thought

Thanks,
Matey

Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by the matey
my brake light lit up on the tac and is on permanently dose this mean I need new brakes?
Almost certain that this means you have tripped the brake sensor. You would probably need to pull the tires and visually inspect the pads to decide whether you absolutely need new brakes right now (e.g. I went about 9,000 miles after tripping my sensor before finally replacing my brakes). If it is something else in the brake system though, I'm not sure.

Sorry, don't know about MINI trying to hold the vehicle for a safety issue if you take it in. Given you have engine light issues, I think you probably should take it in. Don't want to damage the engine.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Almost certain that this means you have tripped the brake sensor. You would probably need to pull the tires and visually inspect the pads to decide whether you absolutely need new brakes right now (e.g. I went about 9,000 miles after tripping my sensor before finally replacing my brakes). If it is something else in the brake system though, I'm not sure.

Sorry, don't know about MINI trying to hold the vehicle for a safety issue if you take it in. Given you have engine light issues, I think you probably should take it in. Don't want to damage the engine.
Thanks for the reply I took dropped her off and her rear brakes do need to be done.

Thanks again!