Why don't my doors autolock when I put the car in drive? - North American Motoring
MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
Log In 
Search

Why don't my doors autolock when I put the car in drive?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
MiamiGuitarMan MiamiGuitarMan is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 483
Why don't my doors autolock when I put the car in drive?

2011 Mini convertible. I've read on a few threads that the doors are supposed to lock automatically when you put the car in gear. My last car did this. Any idea why my mini isn't doing this? Is this a feature that only comes with certain packages or is something not set up right in mine?
__________________
2011 Mini convertible. Velvet Silver.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
iamwiz82's Avatar
iamwiz82 iamwiz82 is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 655
It's a personalized setting Dependant on the key. Use the OBC button to cycle to Set/Info, the full writeup is in the manual.

Note: I have no idea about autos, but my manual locks on drive-away.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 AM
MiamiGuitarMan MiamiGuitarMan is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 483
Thanks. I did look in the manual and followed the instructions in there. It still didn't work although I suppose I may have followed the instructions wrong.
__________________
2011 Mini convertible. Velvet Silver.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 AM
ammodave ammodave is offline
5th Gear
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niceville Fl
Posts: 787
The instructions in the manual are a little cryptic. Did you have car running when you attempted to reprogram the fob? My 2010 won't reprogram unless the car is actually idling; if I recall correctly, the manual makes it appear you can do this after simply pressing the start/stop button without actually starting the engine. Your car is a 2011; if all else fails, return to the dealer and let your salesman assist you.
__________________
2010 MC (pure silver), JCW grill, Wipac stainless driving lights, Union Jack mirrors, DIY front and rear oem fog lights, Cooper S fuel cap, Union Jack scuttles, Helix short shifter, FES Auto Sport, NM torque arm, Alta 22mm rear sway.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM
DneprDave's Avatar
DneprDave DneprDave is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 2,631
My doors lock when the car reaches 10 miles/hr.

Dave
__________________
2010 Mini Cooper S Clubman, Aisin 6 speed automatic, Continental ControlContact Sport AS tires

Shade tree mechanic
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
iamwiz82's Avatar
iamwiz82 iamwiz82 is offline
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammodave View Post
The instructions in the manual are a little cryptic. Did you have car running when you attempted to reprogram the fob? My 2010 won't reprogram unless the car is actually idling; if I recall correctly, the manual makes it appear you can do this after simply pressing the start/stop button without actually starting the engine. Your car is a 2011; if all else fails, return to the dealer and let your salesman assist you.
My 11 required the engine to be on as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
MiamiGuitarMan MiamiGuitarMan is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 483
Ok, got it figured out. Nothing like the controls in a new car to make you feel like an idiot. The instructions are definitely a little cryptic, at least to me, and what's shameful is that I work in IT and deal with technology and cryptic instructions on a daily basis so this makes me feel double stupid, but after some trial and error I got it working. The little symbols and icons they use in the settings are pretty much useless and not intuitive at all.
__________________
2011 Mini convertible. Velvet Silver.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
jomama's Avatar
jomama jomama is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan View Post
Ok, got it figured out. Nothing like the controls in a new car to make you feel like an idiot. The instructions are definitely a little cryptic, at least to me, and what's shameful is that I work in IT and deal with technology and cryptic instructions on a daily basis so this makes me feel double stupid, but after some trial and error I got it working. The little symbols and icons they use in the settings are pretty much useless and not intuitive at all.
worse is the two settings for auto-lock are indecipherable. one looks like auto-lock and so does the other! when i realized that it still wasn't auto-locking, i toggled to the other setting and it did.
btw, anyone know whether or not you need to completely redo your settings if you were to pull your battery?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
MiamiGuitarMan MiamiGuitarMan is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
worse is the two settings for auto-lock are indecipherable. one looks like auto-lock and so does the other! when i realized that it still wasn't auto-locking, i toggled to the other setting and it did.
btw, anyone know whether or not you need to completely redo your settings if you were to pull your battery?

My understanding is that most of these settings are stored in the key so they won't disappear if you disconnect the battery.
__________________
2011 Mini convertible. Velvet Silver.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM
theunclesam theunclesam is offline
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 186
As a side note to this: If you have the MINI connected system, you do all (except auto wipers) the OBC settings through the screen. It has text to go with the icons so it's much easier to figure out.
__________________
2011 MCSa Eclipse Gray/Black Top/Black Mirrors/Black Wheels- Xenons - Connected - Prem/Cold/Sport/Conv Packages.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
jomama's Avatar
jomama jomama is offline
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan View Post
My understanding is that most of these settings are stored in the key so they won't disappear if you disconnect the battery.
sweet! thanks for the info. not that i plan on doing any mods that require me to disconnect the battery any time soon, but this is good to know. losing all those settings/presets would kind of suck!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
MINIxB's Avatar
MINIxB MINIxB is offline
6th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,774
Send a message via AIM to MINIxB Send a message via MSN to MINIxB Send a message via Yahoo to MINIxB Send a message via Skype™ to MINIxB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan View Post
My understanding is that most of these settings are stored in the key so they won't disappear if you disconnect the battery.
Most of the settings are including radio stations and temperature settings on the Auto A/C
__________________


MotoringID: WHIP704
Bumblebee-1977 Leyland Mini 1000//Gone to her new home in Indy...
Artemis- 2009 Lightning Blue/White MCSa//Built: 10/28/08//Purchased: 08/15/09

Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS:: NOVA: 2012 MINI JCW (factory) w/ 100k Warranty + TONS OF EXTRAS! igzekyativ MINIs & Minis for Sale 25 09-21-2016 05:38 PM
FS:: NOVA: 2013 MINI JCW (Factory) + Maintenance and Warranties igzekyativ MINIs & Minis for Sale 28 12-23-2015 11:36 AM
2002 R53 Creaking/Clacking maestro39 R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) 3 10-27-2015 03:38 PM
:: ECS Tuning :: New Items from ECS Tuning ECSTuning Vendor Announcements 0 08-07-2015 09:02 AM
Garage Door Opener available for MY16 builds? SoCalledFriend General MINI Talk 5 08-06-2015 07:59 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

,
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 PM.


North American Motoring is an independently operated web site supporting MINI owners and enthusiastsworldwide. As such it has no official relationship with MINI USA, BMW AG, or BMW of North America.All original artwork and design is Copyright © 2002-2004 North American Motoring.