R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can the alert bell/chime be changed/reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 PM
GettingIt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the alert bell/chime be changed/reprogrammed?

I'm wondering if the (somewhat loud) bell/chime, that you may hear if you put on your seat belt too slowly, in a 2007 Mini Cooper can be changed or reprogrammed? I like the newer "double tone" ones that sound "softer" and less annoying.

If this had been previously asked/discussed or you have pointers to places that can do this, I'd appreciate your replies/comments.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check over in the Modification section under Electrical and there will be some posts on NCS Expert. if it can be changed sound can be changed (which i don't think it can) it would be in one of those threads. That is where all the programing stuff is.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
You could disable the sound entirely by using one of these;

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/Chimex-.html

If that is what you are going for...

Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you have a non-nav car you can reduce the gong volume in the radio audio settings (press the musical note in the top left, and scroll to the next screen on the right, GONG setting).

Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 PM
GettingIt
1st Gear
Thank you for all the replies.

I'm not trying to disable it, it's useful/helpful for me, but the bell/chime sound is less annoying (or should I say "more pleasant") in the newer MCs.

I'll check out the Modification section and have to look for that "gong" setting and maybe that'd be a big step already (don't recall ever seeing such a named setting before, though).

Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to know how to do this too. I found the gong setting in the audio controls but even with it turned as low as it will go, it's still a little loud for me.

And how long does it chime for if your seat belt is off? When I pull into my condo complex I have to take my seat belt off to swipe my entrance card and yesterday the thing chimed for the 3 or 4 minutes it took me to drive from the entrance to my parking spot. Any way to get it to stop after a certain amount of time?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 AM
THarvey3
1st Gear
Turning the gong to a -5 via the audio settings doesn't seem to make much difference than doing nothing. You'd think at the lowest setting, negative 5 would turn it off. It doesn't. Bummer.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
THE GONG!? I LOVEEEE THE GONG!! it's such a neat sound! Every time someone gets into my car, they comment on the gong at start up. Definitely stands out compared to your typical "dingdingding" or "beeepbeeepbeeep" (like my old honda made), but then again, I'm not surprised, everything about MINI's stand out from every other car-one of the reasons why I got one, I like standing out

Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddyboi77
THE GONG!? I LOVEEEE THE GONG!! it's such a neat sound! Every time someone gets into my car, they comment on the gong at start up. Definitely stands out compared to your typical "dingdingding" or "beeepbeeepbeeep" (like my old honda made), but then again, I'm not surprised, everything about MINI's stand out from every other car-one of the reasons why I got one, I like standing out
The "gong" they are talking about is on the 2007 -2010 cars that is horrible your 2011 has a much better sounding gong.

As for the -5 not turning it off, Under US law it can not turn it off. So unfortunately it means using software to turn it off. and yes it can be done but the dealers will NOT do it for liability reasons and US law.

As for how long it will chime - a very long time as I have had mine unbuckled for more than 10 minutes and the gong is still ringing.

Again check in the modification section for NCS Expert threads and see if they have found anything about it.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bump

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by nutsofamily
bump
Any to share???

Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
??? What does your comment mean

!!?
Originally Posted by miniuy
Any to share???

Old 04-08-2015, 06:08 PM
timski
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn straight there is a way. It's a little pricey and you have to like to tinker
around. Watch the videos. I beleive it's called "coding". I took a real quick look....but it looks like $700 will buy you
the kit. Have fun reading.

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by timski
Damn straight there is a way. It's a little pricey and you have to like to tinker
around. Watch the videos. I beleive it's called "coding". I took a real quick look....but it looks like $700 will buy you

we are self-taught

Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 PM
timski
4th Gear
Ok.....here you go....to add to what I said above....

How to code BMW Cars - Everything you need to know

This can be done with the tool at.......

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/Coding.aspx

Pin ItSee all 4 photos

BMW cars are very loved by their owners and for good reason. These cars provide everything a driver could wish for: safety, power, high-tech systems, the pleasure to drive and last but not least..the women love men who own BMW`s!
If you don`t know what coding is or what it is used for then I will give you a starting point. You can avoid a trip to the dealer and diagnose your BMW through the OBD port and reset the errors your car might have. Maybe you want to install an option that your car didn`t have from the factory and you want to do it yourself? That can be easily done too!
Maybe you want to install xenon on your car that has factory halogen without any errors? Do you want to disable the annoying seat belt beep? Do you want to disable your corner lights and give your car a European look? Do you want your car to show you the real speed digitally on your dashboard? Maybe you want your fog lights to be on when you turn on your low beams? This and much much more (almost anything) can be done through coding.
How does BMW car Coding Work?

There are several programs that let you enable or disable options on your car just like the dealer operates.
Anyway when messing around with your car`s options be sure you know what you`re doing first. Tutorials come in handy and it`s the best way to learn because other people have tested almost anything and everything you can think of. If you find it confusing or don`t know what to look for just read below and you will find out where is the best place to find everything that is needed in order to get started.
BMW`s have plenty of options that haven`t been activated on purpose by the factory and they consider those as being extra options and charge you in order to get what you want activated.

Here is what you need in order to start learning how to code a BMW car:

1. You need to buy a cable that connects your laptop computer to your BMW`s OBD port.

You can buy the cable from the link below:
  • http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16
    This Interface allows FULL diagnostic BMW's build from 1998 2013 Some more detailed information OBD2 vehicles Each every OBD2 equipped vehicle supported this Interface There only exceptions this have older vehicle with both OBD2 20pin connector insta
We are in no way affiliated to the website above but from my experience they usualy have good quality cables.

2. You need the software and tutorials that will teach you step by step how to code options for your car.

Last edited by timski; 04-09-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:32 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can code it out with the BMWhat for much less ($60, software + adapter). But you can't change it.. Only make it go away..

Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM
smokestogi
Neutral
Originally Posted by danjreed
You can code it out with the BMWhat for much less ($60, software + adapter). But you can't change it.. Only make it go away..
Can you please advise if this cable will work on a 2015 mini? Also, what is the "software and adapter" you speak of? I gotta get rid of that seat belt chime!

Thanks

Old 04-30-2015, 09:00 PM
yashmack
1st Gear

the basic single vehicle kit is only $179...

Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 PM
timski
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yashmack
the basic single vehicle kit is only $179...
The basic kit does not include coding functionality which you need to reprogram the chime.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 PM
yashmack
1st Gear
The basic kit does not include coding functionality which you need to reprogram the chime.
i dont see that anywhere on the site, it seems to be the same as all the other but it only has 1 car you can use it on

youre right, i found it in the user guide

Old 04-30-2015, 09:24 PM
timski
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yashmack
i dont see that anywhere on the site, it seems to be the same as all the other but it only has 1 car you can use it on
Yeah u have to dig a little on the site and watch the video on coding that's on their site. I have a 2011 JCW and the company told me there isn't that much to change on our cars. I'm not sure I believe that totally. The $179 kit is for the cable and basic software. The $700 kit is the professional kit which allows for coding. And of course even the basic kit reads MINI prop. codes. Even though my car isn't included on their website (in error) they said it will work with a 2011 JCW.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...at_iphone.html can turn off the chime.

Does not cost an arm and a leg.

Give it a try.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:44 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by smokestogi
Can you please advise if this cable will work on a 2015 mini? Also, what is the "software and adapter" you speak of? I gotta get rid of that seat belt chime!

Thanks
http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detai...at_iphone.html

Has the links to the software. Its $50 or so. They also make an android version.

Amazon.com: Docooler® WIFI Wireless OBD2 OBDII Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Reader for iPhone4S/5 iPad4 iPad mini iOS PC: Automotive Amazon.com: Docooler® WIFI Wireless OBD2 OBDII Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Reader for iPhone4S/5 iPad4 iPad mini iOS PC: Automotive
is an example of the adapter.

So for less then $80, you can code may items. Im happy.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GettingIt
I'm not trying to disable it, it's useful/helpful for me, but the bell/chime sound is less annoying (or should I say "more pleasant") in the newer MCs.
Just to remember ...

Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 PM
synzeus
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 11/2007 ecu and bmwwhat does not have the option for chime. NCSExpert is the way!

Quick Reply: R56 Can the alert bell/chime be changed/reprogrammed?