R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Extended Maintenance Program - 6 year 100k miles Contract Terms

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And i am pretty sure 1295 is msrp according to MiniUSA.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:42 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
And i am pretty sure 1295 is msrp according to MiniUSA.
MSRP is $1395

Old 05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Tina2009
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
I called Morristown, but they insist on having the car in-person to do a visual inspection and a key read (they won't mail a key back if you send them one -- say they aren't allowed because of the potential to lose them).

I can't blame them for any of that... it just sucks for me here in Arizona where the local dealerships want to give me a "deal" on the plan for $1795.

-------
Other quotes I've received so far: (I'll be updating this periodically)
$1695 -- Rasmussen MINI (OR)
$1795 -- MINI of Scottsdale (AZ) ("deal" price)
$1795 -- MINI of Tempe (AZ)
$1895 -- MINI of Las Vegas (NV)
$1895 -- Princeton MINI (NJ)
$1988 -- Ralph Schomp MINI (CO)
$1990 -- Bill Jacobs MINI (IL)
$1995 -- MINI of Universal City (CA)
$2195 -- Sandia MINI (NM)
$2195 -- MINI of Monrovia (CA)
$2800 -- MINI of Ontario (CA)
$2850 -- Crevier MINI (CA) ("deal" is $2180)

... starting to seriously consider cost of a plane ticket to NJ if they can make do with just the key.
Hi fishbert,

Have you decided to fly to NJ yet? Is it going to work with just the key?

Btw, what is the difference between the power train warranty and the maintaince warranty? I am totally confused.

Thanks,

Tina

Old 05-08-2010, 04:31 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Towne MINI (Williamsville / Buffalo NY) quoted me $1395. They are saying it's $200 more now that I'm over 36,000 miles.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
mikemc
3rd Gear
do you have to drive to get that deal or can it be done over the phone??

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
mikemc, don't know if the deal is available by phone, but their number is 716-504-6464. I was surprised to see how high this package goes for elsewhere compared to Towne. They're my closest dealer.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My insurance company does not have repair options. I have purchased a 5/60K extended warranty plan. It starts today. The plan has a $100 deductible. Cost was $4,080. You can read my full writeup here: http://www.hrmini.com/component/opti...32/board,29.0/.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM
scoott271
Neutral
I don't know if you have to show proof of residency in the foreign country to take advantage of it. Also, I'm not sure if this warranty is from MINIworld or MINIUSA. It IS good if you buy your MINI in the USA then move to another country. Buy your MINI in another country and you may or may not be protected.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:22 PM
EuroMutt
1st Gear
Extended Maintenance

Originally Posted by fishbert
I called Morristown, but they insist on having the car in-person to do a visual inspection and a key read (they won't mail a key back if you send them one -- say they aren't allowed because of the potential to lose them).

I can't blame them for any of that... it just sucks for me here in Arizona where the local dealerships want to give me a "deal" on the plan for $1795.

-------
Other quotes I've received so far: (I'll be updating this periodically)

$1695 -- Rasmussen MINI (OR)
$1795 -- MINI of Scottsdale (AZ) ("deal" price)
$1795 -- MINI of Tempe (AZ)
$1895 -- MINI of Las Vegas (NV)
$1895 -- Princeton MINI (NJ)
$1988 -- Ralph Schomp MINI (CO)
$1990 -- Bill Jacobs MINI (IL)
$1995 -- MINI of Universal City (CA)
$2195 -- Sandia MINI (NM)
$2195 -- MINI of Monrovia (CA)
$2800 -- MINI of Ontario (CA)
$2850 -- Crevier MINI (CA) ("deal" is $2180)
... starting to seriously consider cost of a plane ticket to NJ if they can make do with just the key.

The quote i got from MINI of Tempe on 5/28 was $1995. Wouldn't have a problem going to Rasmussen in Portland as that was where i originally bought mine. Any update on the prices?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EuroMutt
The quote i got from MINI of Tempe on 5/28 was $1995. Wouldn't have a problem going to Rasmussen in Portland as that was where i originally bought mine. Any update on the prices?
No, after trying like crazy to get a MINI dealership west of the Mississippi to take my money (was looking for anything under $1500), I figured they really didn't want me to come there for service any longer. It seemed like a strong suggestion on their part to find a local MINI mechanic who will actually want my business.

Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good one in southern Arizona?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EuroMutt
Well looks like my Coop's service came up.
I asked about the pricing on extending the service, the quote that Rasmussen MINI gave me was $1895. I guess they have gone up in price...

Since I live in Eugene and Portland is the only dealership remotely close to where I live...I don't think I can negotiate for a better price from "price shopping".

Thoughts? Is this a good investment? I know last service I did they did change out my front brakes. I assume my rear brakes will need changing at some point.

Last edited by SEAL6; 07-22-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
shiva81
Neutral
Hello all:
I am new to this forum, and I have a Mini Cooper 2008 hatchback. I do about 12000 miles a year, and much of it is city driving and stop and go traffic. I have had to go in for oil changes and maintenance every 9000 miles so far, and I have about 20000 on it.
I have been looking at the Extended Maintenance Program and wondering if it is worth coughing up $1395 for oil changes and possibly brakes? The dealer was quite shifty and did not tell me what standard maintenance costs! I used to have a Lexus and they told me upfront what the average costs were for 60K, 75K, 90k etc., The MINI folks were vague. I figure the average cost including changing oil filter, wiper blades etc., would be about $200 a pop and no more. The 60K service may be more if timing belt is involved and this does not say if that is covered, for example. seems not.

What does shopping around involve? All the MINI dealers I have called have given me the same price quote.

thanks
s

Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SEAL6
Well looks like my Coop's service came up.
I asked about the pricing on extending the service, the quote that Rasmussen MINI gave me was $1895. I guess they have gone up in price...

Since I live in Eugene and Portland is the only dealership remotely close to where I live...I don't think I can negotiate for a better price from "price shopping".

Thoughts? Is this a good investment? I know last service I did they did change out my front brakes. I assume my rear brakes will need changing at some point.

I was just quoted $1,599 ($1,750 with WA State sales tax) with new purchased MINI, and bet you could talk that down a bit. It might pay for itself if you are doing 15K miles a year and might need brakes, but for us doing 6K a year NOT a good investment. Just sold a 6 year old PT Cruiser with 36K on it that never needed brakes.

Here's what they said the Service II services cost = about $1,100 worth even with wondeful near 10% WA State sales tax:

Service II Major Service 4 Years:
Oil Change ($95)
Micro Filter ($90)
Transmission Service ($300)
Brake Fluid ($90)
Coolant ($150)
Air Filter ($80)
V-Belt ($180)

And I think I can get 10-15% off from that by becoming a local MINI club card carrying member....

Last edited by MCS Fever; 07-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
I have never owned a vehicle w/10000 mi. interval oil changes.I really believe this is doing harm to your engine, i.e. oil sludge and internal parts that are being affected .I have changed mine every 5000 without any issues.Do your mini a favor and change it sooner.I also believe that the maintenance program they offer is over and beyond what scheuled maitenance on a car should be.It sounds good in theory but again your doing harm to what should be done sooner.That is a mini selling point to say there cars can go much longer than most.Read the problems on oil sludge and gunk in our engines etc.By the way I have a 2007 MCS w/46,000 still purring miles.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
The warranty is worth it in my opinion. My dealership replaced my transmission free of charge. Pretty much anything that goes wrong (minus getting yourself involved in an accident, or heavily modding) is covered.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
minimize07, you will get a ton of opinions on how often to change your oil. Here's a writeup I did awhile back on my experiences: http://www.tarheelminis.org/showthre...ll=1#post41119.

To get back to this thread, most people here will be doing extended warranties on R56s. I doubt many will bother with their R53s, which I believe the dealership only supports the 2006 model. Even if you don't get any money back in the end, provided you never had to take advantage of the extended warranty, anything up to $2,000 seems reasonable for piece of mind. Timing chain death rattles and carbon buildup issues alone make me believe it's worth it.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:17 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Great info Jumpin Jack ,but these newer 07+ are even more tempremental turbo's than your standard lets say Audi (I used to own a '03 TT,talk about tempremental ) and I still believe that the newer designed turbo's in these vehicles need that" extra clean "for the inner parts to function properly both for longevity and performance.Could be blowing smoke here but as I said my engine purrs.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimize07
I have never owned a vehicle w/10000 mi. interval oil changes.I really believe this is doing harm to your engine, i.e. oil sludge and internal parts that are being affected .I have changed mine every 5000 without any issues.Do your mini a favor and change it sooner.I also believe that the maintenance program they offer is over and beyond what scheuled maitenance on a car should be.It sounds good in theory but again your doing harm to what should be done sooner.That is a mini selling point to say there cars can go much longer than most.Read the problems on oil sludge and gunk in our engines etc.By the way I have a 2007 MCS w/46,000 still purring miles.
change your oil however you like, but I'll trust the bmw engineers over someone who joined the forum today.

"Read the problems on oil sludge and gunk in our engines etc." - all of us here read about any and all problems posted. engine oil gunk is not a problem in a MINI. Buildup on the intake valves perhaps, but no amount of oil changes is going to affect that.

What you may not realize is that most of us here have been around for a long time and know these cars pretty darn well. It's sometimes funny and often frustrating when someone new comes in and starts telling us how to maintain our cars when their arguments have been dis-proven in dozens of posts that have come before.

There are tons of threads talking about doing oil changes. While quite a few don't want to wait the 15,000k miles (it's not 10k like you said) almost all would say every 5k is way too often.

Originally Posted by minimize07
Great info Jumpin Jack ,but these newer 07+ are even more tempremental turbo's than your standard lets say Audi (I used to own a '03 TT,talk about tempremental ) and I still believe that the newer designed turbo's in these vehicles need that" extra clean "for the inner parts to function properly both for longevity and performance.Could be blowing smoke here but as I said my engine purrs.
So you are saying the turbos on the audi are "talk about temperamental" and the MINIs turbo is even worse? How many dead turbos have your read about? Darn close to zero. While someone may occasionally have a problem with it, it is the very rare case.

My advice is to just read read read here. It's an invaluable source of information. And stop giving maintenance "advice" as you've done in 4 out of your 5 posts since joining today.

Could be blowing smoke here but as I said my engine purrs.
I'm, glad your engine still purrs. It would still be purring even if you had changed the oil every 15k. Try reading the thread where the guy is well over 300,000 miles on his mini and he follows the oil changes according to MINIs schedule.

P.S - Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by MotorMouth; 08-04-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
patrick and faye
Neutral
first post. while driving my 08 Mini S on a long trip, I stopped for a bite to eat and couldn't open the trunk. The doors would unlock but not the trunk lid. I was able to open lid with the remote but I think I have somehow programmed this fault. Patrick H

Old 08-10-2010, 02:27 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by patrick and faye
first post. while driving my 08 Mini S on a long trip, I stopped for a bite to eat and couldn't open the trunk. The doors would unlock but not the trunk lid. I was able to open lid with the remote but I think I have somehow programmed this fault. Patrick H
you didn't program anything wrong. sounds like a bad switch in the handle.

btw, the forum is divided into sections for different topics. You can make a thread about this in the stock problems/issues subforum. You'll get much more response there.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
What is a trunk?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Dude - The BOOT handle is just an electric switch. Replace the whole BOOT handle with chrome (comes with new switch and tag lights). Simple 4 torque screws and one wire loom connection install.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
chunmko
Neutral
Hi All, newbie here. I have just brought a Hzb 2010 HT to join the club. When I get the car, the dealer was quoting me $2000+ too but I show them the miniusa.com was $1395 and he was willing the match it. Good luck on getting a deal!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 AM
rensky
1st Gear
hi all,,just an update...

after all the hassle i managed to extend my maintenance warranty up to 6yr/100k through South Bay Mini in CA ......they asked for $1595 and I honestly thought it was good because all the other mini dealers were asking for $2k+

Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
chunmko, just make sure it's an actual extended warranty and NOT the extended maintenance service program. Other than that, good deal.

Quick Reply: R56 Extended Maintenance Program - 6 year 100k miles Contract Terms